toothmaster

A complicated situation re. I-751 and being out of the country. Please help.

17 posts in this topic

Given that the UK is part of the VWP, how much scrunity do the airlines people give you with a UK passport travelling to the US?

He does not (and should not) have an ESTA approval so with a passport scan they will instantly know he is not traveling on the VWP.

OP - sounds like you have the situation handled. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all your help and comments! I really appreciate it so much.

I thought I'd update you guys with how things have been going.

To sum up: the extention letter came! We luckily had a friend coming to London a few days ago, so he brought it over for me. I have it in my possession, and I should be fine to get back into the USA.

Second piece of news: my biometrics appointment was successfully resheduled. For a date when I'll be back in the country. Hooray!

Now, some bits of useful information and notes.

1) It's hard to tell whether the extention letter we received is the first one that was sent, or a duplicate. If you remember, I did call USCIS to get a duplicate - we separately received a letter stating they would send a duplicate out within 30 days, So it's hard to tell. At any rate - for anyone who has this problem of the extension letter not having come yet, it's worth calling USCIS. Use the Visajourney guide - still can't post a link because I don't have enough posts, but Google "visajourney calling USCIS" and it's the first result.

2) My backup options were emailing the US Embassy in London to get a travel document.

The USCIS representative gave me the email address for USCIS in the embassy: uscis.london@dhs.gov

Someone answered quickly and was very helpful. He looked into my situation (using my A#/receipt number, I assume), ascertained that the letter had indeed been sent, and said that in this situation I was entitled to a transportation letter. He gave me a link for more information (google CBP in the london embassy, it's the third result), and an email address for more information: londoncbp@state.gov

We were annoyed to see that the transportation letter carried a £165 fee, but the person at the second email address told us that the fee is typically waived, I suppose as long as needing the letter isn't your fault?

Anyway. I have no idea if any of that is helpful. Looks kinda messy from where I'm standing.

Thank you so much to everyone who posted. It blows my mind that there are people on this forum who just want to help out. You're all great. Cheers!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.