Mikeylla

Traffic Tickets filing for n400?

21 posts in this topic

do i have to disclosed my one time speeding ticket i got on 12/8/2011? on part 10 #16? even if its still under $500? i've read a lot of forums, some says you have to, some says you don't, i don't know if the rules have change should i call uscis ? im so confused what to write in the box either Yes or no? Anyone experience this? N400 2013 filers? i trashed my speeding ticket and now i dont have a copy, and i paid it over the phone so i didnt get any receipt.

i did not state my 2 speeding tickets in the n400.just bring your speeding ticket together with the payment receipt and all the supporting documents that you passed or cleared your speeding ticket.because during your interview.they might ask for it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

do i have to disclosed my one time speeding ticket i got on 12/8/2011? on part 10 #16? even if its still under $500? i've read a lot of forums, some says you have to, some says you don't, i don't know if the rules have change should i call uscis ? im so confused what to write in the box either Yes or no? Anyone experience this? N400 2013 filers? i trashed my speeding ticket and now i dont have a copy, and i paid it over the phone so i didnt get any receipt.

You don't need to take evidence of it, but apparently you do need to disclose it, I would. At your interview the officer will ask about it, you explain it, they'll probably change it to no and have you sign the form. you won't be denied because of it.

Some people don't mark the form and the officer brings it up and then dismisses it. Some people don't mark the form and THEY bring it up, the officer doesn't care.

Some mark the form, show the docs, officer changes it. Basically a speeding ticket/traffic infringement isn't a big deal as long as it's less than $500 fine and didn't involve alcohol or drugs.

Timeline

e

My husband has two traffic tickets (speeding and red light camera). We disclosed both on the N-400 form with an explanation of what each ticket was for and that both were cleared through traffic school. My husband has all the paperwork for the speeding ticket because it was recent, but he didn't have his receipt for the red light camera ticket. He went to the courthouse one day and they gave him a letter stating the ticket was cleared and paid for in full.

We just thought it was better to disclose the information on the N-400 application. We now have the paperwork for both tickets and my husband can show them as evidence at the interview, if he is asked to do so.

Edited by Hedi

pkyxguryrufud.png

I didn't have any receipts because like I said I paid it over the phone they might have given me a confirmation but I didn't even saved it. Do you think I still have to provide that even though it states on n400 instruction that I do not need to submit any documents of traffic tickets as long as not related to DUI and fine over 500 well I only paid less than $200 and I don't remember the exact amount anymore.. I do have a the ticket to not yielding on red camera as well and paid $50 but see its not even a law enforcer that pulled me it was just a camera infraction.

Timeline

I didn't have any receipts because like I said I paid it over the phone they might have given me a confirmation but I didn't even saved it. Do you think I still have to provide that even though it states on n400 instruction that I do not need to submit any documents of traffic tickets as long as not related to DUI and fine over 500 well I only paid less than $200 and I don't remember the exact amount anymore.. I do have a the ticket to not yielding on red camera as well and paid $50 but see its not even a law enforcer that pulled me it was just a camera infraction.

Well, for us, we felt we should disclose the red light camera ticket because in the end it was around $505 (around $455 for the ticket and $50 or so for the traffic school-very expensive in California :) ). My husband had the traffic school paperwork but lost the payment receipt, so as I mentioned, he was able to get a copy of the receipt by going to the courthouse. That infraction was a camera taking a picture and did not involve any officer stopping my husband, but we just decided to include the information. If you have a copy of the original ticket somewhere or the ticket they send you in the mail to make a payment, there should be a reference number on that to use if you want your receipt copy. At least, that's what we did here in San Diego for my husband.

I also have heard from many people that disclosing traffic violations under $500 and/or not involving DUI is not necessary; however, my husband and I decided to put the information in the N-400 form. I think the ultimate decision is up to you, for what you want to do.

Good luck! :)

pkyxguryrufud.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Never even thought about a four year old 50 buck fine my stepdaughter received, but her IO asked her if she received any traffic or parking tickets. She answered yes, he issued a decision cannot be made at this time until we provided proof that 50 buck fine was paid.

How do you know how your individual IO is going to respond?

Good thing she remembered that small ticket and did say yes, for I know, if she said no, would have lied to her IO and have been deported. And apparently her IO didn't read the N-400 instructions on small traffic violations.

Filed: Timeline

Never even thought about a four year old 50 buck fine my stepdaughter received, but her IO asked her if she received any traffic or parking tickets. She answered yes, he issued a decision cannot be made at this time until we provided proof that 50 buck fine was paid.

How do you know how your individual IO is going to respond?

Good thing she remembered that small ticket and did say yes, for I know, if she said no, would have lied to her IO and have been deported. And apparently her IO didn't read the N-400 instructions on small traffic violations.

When we went for my wife's interview, the IO took both my Driver License and her State ID Card with him. He gave them back after the interview. I suppose he could have received an instant printout from the state database. But, I have no way of knowing why he took them, and why he swiped them through some sort of card reader in front of my wife.

Filed: Other Timeline

The law requires you to state any and all citations. Period. You do not have to document those. In case you don't understand the meaning of documenting, here's an example: if you are divorced, the document for this is the divorce decree. So in N-400 terms you'd just disclose that you are divorced, but you don't have to bring the divorce decree.

That said, I had a ticket for answering my cell phone and the I.O. wanted to see my court file, just because. I.O.s have a lot of discretion, so not only disclose the traffic ticket, but bring what you have, just in case, to avoid a delay or an RFE.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When I applied for N400 a few months ago I answered NO to that question... But make sure to mention mention it on your interview because they will ask you again that question because they know every records you had, as for me they mention about my speeding tickets and i affirm about it... you dont have to bring any documents, its not really a big deal so dont think too much about it...

Timeline

If you sell auto insurance for a living, need the ability to type on a computer and talk to a customer at the same time, seamlessly. Have a database to check the complete driving record of a potential customer and learn the complete driving record and any insurance claims. Whether your license was pulled or not to failure to pay a fine.

Not sure if the USCIS has access to that same database, if they did, could tell instantly if you paid all of your fines and the degree of your offenses. Even though its all there, still want you to get that proof that fine was paid. First comment to my stepdaughter that she needs proof that four year old fine was paid, go back in and show your drivers' license, even if you failed to pay a five buck parking ticket, you wouldn't have it, a cop will come to your door and take it, and even the registration plates on your vehicle. She was scared and didn't want to do that, so when we got home, I called my insurance agent, in seconds, he found her case, location of the court where the fine was paid, the date, and the amount. Not easy trying to remember all that stuff four years ago.

Since my stepdaughter was in college, I called for her, had all the information she needed, but said since she was a minor at the time, only she could pick it up, even though her mother and I had to appear in court with her. After going through all this, we get another letter from the USCIS stating they don't need that proof of payment. But wanted my stepdaughter to answer to battery and assault charges when she was 17 months old. That was too much! Time to call my senators office.

Filed: Timeline

I personally have a $85 speeding ticket (45 on 35 zone) and already paid off. This is different than ROC instruction. ROC specifically states that anything under $500, no need to report. But N400 instruction does not mention so, therefore, I am going to check "Yes" because technically I was "cited" by the officer. We all know it's a small/tiny crime, so better disclose it then having they think that you lie or didn't read the question carefully.

Edited by immibie

Timeline

All started with 9/11, more than doubling the size of our worthless police department. At first, added unmarked older passenger vehicles, now want to be like the CIA and FBI driving these huge gas guzzling all black SUV's. All they have to do is to issue more traffic violations, got so bad, city had to elect a traffic judge, a crooked attorney in town got that job. Sure don't want to see him, had to report him to the state bar for crooked bill. They don't deal with crooked bills.

On a Tuesday morning at city hall, can see a line of over 200 people waiting to pay fines. To augment this, all stop signs in town were replaced with traffic signals with tiny no-right turn signs after stop, yield signs were replaced with stop signs, and practically all speed limits were reduced. Then tiny signs were only placed on state roads regarding no cell phone usage in town. No such signs on other county or township roads, more means to capture people coming into town. Its a racket to get more money, my fellow citizens are like sheep, just don't complain nor object, also raising our property taxes to pay for all this. Any one of those fat cops will run the other way if any kind of terrorists would come here, if they could run.

That was the kind of ticket my stepdaughter received, a new stop sign hidden behind a bush, she slowed down, but didn't come to a complete stop. A cop was sitting there just waiting. No sense in arguing, just pay the 50 bucks, but then problems with the USCIS. If I knew that, would have argued plenty. Everybody will sooner or later get a traffic violation of some type, the odds are greatly against us. If not by a cop, by a traffic camera, its a no win situation. USCIS just started that proof of paying your fines about a couple of years ago, more records to keep.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

No anything under $500 and not DUI related you do not have to disclose. This was the answer I got from calling up the INS as well as my IO during the interview when asked if I had ever been to court. I did say I went to court for a speeding ticket (since in that county all speeding tickets were mandatory court appearances). He then just asked me about the fine if if it was DUI related.

I asked him if I was supposed to disclose that on the N-400 since when I called the INS told me no I did not. He verified what the INS on the phone told me and said, unless there was a DUI or it was over $500 you do NOT have to disclose it and I was fine for not doing so.

So there are many topics on here about this already...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.