druebey

disabled by military service...

46 posts in this topic

Your profile says she is living in Greece. Is she a Greek citizen or just living there? Greek citizens can travel visa free. Why doesn't she come and visit you?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Your profile says she is living in Greece. Is she a Greek citizen or just living there? Greek citizens can travel visa free. Why doesn't she come and visit you?

she isn't a Greek citizen... and she's from Georgia. she's a permanent resident of Greece though....

UPDATE: today 3/22/2013 she went for the B-2 visa interview and was told she needed to do a K-1 due to not strong enough ties to come back to Greece... I am trying to figure out what all I need to do for a medical expedite on the k-1 or if I should do a regular one... any suggestions would help... I have a traumatic brain injury that causes havoc with flying and day to day life... im officially disabled by the SSA. so just trying to figure out what next step is... and how to do it.

You will not be able to get a K-1 visa until you meet her.

You could

... Travel by bus to Mexico and she could meet you there.

You think that your injury makes you a case for hardship, but actually, it can appear that you are importing a nurse to care for you that you have never met. The bona fides of your relationship will possibly be questioned strongly.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Can't she just use ESTA? The VWP website says they have to be a citizen or national of the listed countries and Greece is one of them. If she's a permanent resident, why can't she just use ESTA?

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Yemen
Timeline

You could

You think that your injury makes you a case for hardship, but actually, it can appear that you are importing a nurse to care for you that you have never met. The bona fides of your relationship will possibly be questioned strongly.

:thumbs::thumbs:

Also OP, you keep confusing "expedite" with "waiving" the 2 year meeting requirement. You are looking to waive the requirement. You can try to make the case that she tried and failed to get a tourist visa and that due to your documented medical condition and doctors' prognosis/letter you are unable to travel. But it may still be denied. There are other avenues you can try that you didn't yet (like meeting in a closer 3rd country). Even if it's approved, it can still be held against you as Harpa said. They will question whether you intend this woman to be your wife or your caregiver.

Can't she just use ESTA? The VWP website says they have to be a citizen or national of the listed countries and Greece is one of them. If she's a permanent resident, why can't she just use ESTA?

He already said she is from Georgia, not a VWP country. She is a resident of Greece, not a national.

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

"If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello."

- Paulo Coelho

:thumbs::thumbs:

Also OP, you keep confusing "expedite" with "waiving" the 2 year meeting requirement. You are looking to waive the requirement. You can try to make the case that she tried and failed to get a tourist visa and that due to your documented medical condition and doctors' prognosis/letter you are unable to travel. But it may still be denied. There are other avenues you can try that you didn't yet (like meeting in a closer 3rd country). Even if it's approved, it can still be held against you as Harpa said. They will question whether you intend this woman to be your wife or your caregiver.

He already said she is from Georgia, not a VWP country. She is a resident of Greece, not a national.

actually this time I mean expedite... not waiver... I know it is confusing with the previous posts... actually its not a try... she did get denied for the visitors visa and told to do a K-1 by a embassy official ... so in that I believe I have a greater chance of having her get her K-1.. don't you? with that said... I believe that im now trying to figure out how to make this ###### faster due to medical or just do a regular k-1. and I believe also I stated that in the update.....

You could

to address you myself not have someone else do it... I am disabled and have issues with remembering things... that's why I reread my own posts before citing them or anything like that... and all the EMBASSY OFFICAL stated was to do the process to get her a k-1 visa... was told that the letter I wrote for her stating why I wanted her to come over here, was better for a k-1 then a b-2...

to address you myself not have someone else do it... I am disabled and have issues with remembering things... that's why I reread my own posts before citing them or anything like that... and all the EMBASSY OFFICAL stated was to do the process to get her a k-1 visa... was told that the letter I wrote for her stating why I wanted her to come over here, was better for a k-1 then a b-2...

The embassy official was wrong. The embassy official does not know the procedures of USCIS (the separate agency that approves I-129F petitions stateside) and maybe did not realize you had never met. USCIS will deny your petition way before it ever gets to the embassy - that official will never see it.

If you have trouble remembering things, please trust the community here that it will not work unless you meet. Concentrate on meeting her.

What do you think about meeting in Mexico?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

A permanent resident is NOT a citizen or a national of that country. This is important for you to know for when you get to the US, because falsely claiming to be a US Citizen when you are not will get you banned for life.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

The embassy official was wrong. The embassy official does not know the procedures of USCIS (the separate agency that approves I-129F petitions stateside) and maybe did not realize you had never met. USCIS will deny your petition way before it ever gets to the embassy - that official will never see it.

If you have trouble remembering things, please trust the community here that it will not work unless you meet. Concentrate on meeting her.

What do you think about meeting in Mexico?

I have also talked to a USCIS official and was told that I had a great chance to get that waived... but also HE KNEW I hadn't met my fiancé... and mexico NO. the statement stands how to do a expedition... NOT A WAIVER ANYMORE... that is the question... I don't want to get rude or anything but answer my update as it doesn't pertain to the first post's question anymore...

I have also talked to a USCIS official and was told that I had a great chance to get that waived... but also HE KNEW I hadn't met my fiancé... and mexico NO. the statement stands how to do a expedition... NOT A WAIVER ANYMORE... that is the question... I don't want to get rude or anything but answer my update as it doesn't pertain to the first post's question anymore...

Well you also need a waiver for not meeting, and you also want an expedite.

It looks like you don't want any help. Have a good day.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

actually this time I mean expedite... not waiver... I know it is confusing with the previous posts... actually its not a try... she did get denied for the visitors visa and told to do a K-1 by a embassy official ... so in that I believe I have a greater chance of having her get her K-1.. don't you? with that said... I believe that im now trying to figure out how to make this ###### faster due to medical or just do a regular k-1. and I believe also I stated that in the update.....

But to be crystal clear: You still haven't met your fiance yet, right? Your first hurdle if you cannot meet her is to overcome the 2 year meeting requirement. You will be asking USCIS to waive the requirement in your I-129F petition and then that they should also expedite your case because of your health condition. The same condition that prevents you from meeting her. But we are talking really in hypotheticals here. None of us here are confident you will be successful in getting the waiver or expedite. Your status as a disabled veteran probably doesn't entitle you to special consideration from USCIS, despite what one of their employees may have said to you. I am not agreeing with this in any way but just telling you like it is. Honestly asking for both a waiver of a requirement and an expedite will only further demonstrate that you want a nurse and not a wife. Her being from Georgia won't help either.

Edited by Sarah and Adnan

- Paulo Coelho

Well you also need a waiver for not meeting, and you also want an expedite.

It looks like you don't want any help. Have a good day.

harpa, first off, I don't know where you get off saying that the people that work in these departments don't know what they are saying... secondly... I am asking for help with the expedite... so yeah I do need help... but it seems that you cant help me bc your too busy thinking you know what I've been told by multiple sources is wrong and what you believe is correct...

Timeline

harpa, first off, I don't know where you get off saying that the people that work in these departments don't know what they are saying... secondly... I am asking for help with the expedite... so yeah I do need help... but it seems that you cant help me bc your too busy thinking you know what I've been told by multiple sources is wrong and what you believe is correct...

Here is the USCIS expedite criteria:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=16a6b1be1ce85210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Your emergency/medical condition isn't emergent. You already had TBI diagnosed. These criteria do not apply to you. But expedites are discretionary and if you make your case in the right way and it is reviewed by the right person it's possible.

I highly suggest you enlist the help of a lawyer to prepare your waiver letter and expedite request.

- Paulo Coelho

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Try your luck then and quit bothering people here - obviously they are telling you what you want to hear. What exactly is your question now ? Go ahead, file for K-1, try waiving the 2-year meeting requirement and be sure to come back here to tell us how it went. Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.