Miguelina

What country to Apply in?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancee and I are applying for a K-1 visa. He goes to school in 1 country (and has a 1 year residency visa that is renewed every year), but is a citizen of another. What country should he apply in? The two countries are on 2 different continents, so it is not possible to constantly fly back from one country to another. He can also relocate to his country of citizenship to apply for the visa there, and take classes online. Any advice would be great! When we have applied in the past for visitor's visas, both US embassies in each country have told us that we should be applying in the other country. So any help would be great!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You put the consulate as the the country he is currently in and will be in at the time of the interview. :thumbs: Just be aware that he'll need paperwork from his home country (birth certificate, police clearance, etc.).

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

Thanks. I see the timeline that Visa Journey put together, but the big unclear is the processing times, correct? It is my understanding that this can take 1-6 months. I tried to click on the link but I really do not understand how to go through it. Does the processing time depend on the country of the beneficiary? On average, does anyone know the processing times for Ukraine vs. Nigeria for a K-1? The reason I ask, is because for a visitor's visa, in Abuja, it takes an average of 90 days to obtain an appointment versus 1-2 weeks in Kiev (this is keeping in mind no cancellations).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My fiancee and I are applying for a K-1 visa. He goes to school in 1 country (and has a 1 year residency visa that is renewed every year), but is a citizen of another. What country should he apply in? The two countries are on 2 different continents, so it is not possible to constantly fly back from one country to another. He can also relocate to his country of citizenship to apply for the visa there, and take classes online. Any advice would be great! When we have applied in the past for visitor's visas, both US embassies in each country have told us that we should be applying in the other country. So any help would be great!

You could choose either but Ukraine is a very easy consulate to deal with for K-1s. What is the other country? In some countries it would be worth the effort, time and expense to return to Ukraine.

Thanks. I see the timeline that Visa Journey put together, but the big unclear is the processing times, correct? It is my understanding that this can take 1-6 months. I tried to click on the link but I really do not understand how to go through it. Does the processing time depend on the country of the beneficiary? On average, does anyone know the processing times for Ukraine vs. Nigeria for a K-1? The reason I ask, is because for a visitor's visa, in Abuja, it takes an average of 90 days to obtain an appointment versus 1-2 weeks in Kiev (this is keeping in mind no cancellations).

If the other country is Nigeria, probably the most difficult consulate in the world...so difficult it is in a class all by itself...go to Ukraine. Fly there, WALK there if you have to.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Ah, thanks Alla. That is extremely depressing, but I guess that it what we need to hear. Should i just get pregnant:)?

The only problem is that his business is in Nigeria, and he would prefer to go back to Nigeria while waiting for this whole process if it is going to take so long. He is in his final year of school in Ukraine, but can take classes online. So will Nigeria take longer than 8-10 months? Does Ukraine take a shorter period of time than the 8-10 months? Sorry, i can't find where you wrote 2 months (I think it was in response to another one of my desperate posts). But i still don't know what the 2 months referred to.

How often does he need to go back to Ukraine if he decides to relocate to Nigeria? Just once for the interview as he can always have a friend pick up his mail?

Lastly, in Nigeria in early 2011, we became legally engaged, where you sign papers to state that you intend to marry, but there are no legal ramifications. Is this a problem when obtaining a fiancee visa because it was so long ago? We did this at the time because we thought it would assist with a visitor's visa.

So many questions. We appreciate all of your help. After 4 years together, I knew this process would be daunting and that is why i kept putting it off, but with all of the information we receive here, we couldn't be more grateful. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ah, thanks Alla. That is extremely depressing, but I guess that it what we need to hear. Should i just get pregnant:)?

The only problem is that his business is in Nigeria, and he would prefer to go back to Nigeria while waiting for this whole process if it is going to take so long. He is in his final year of school in Ukraine, but can take classes online. So will Nigeria take longer than 8-10 months? Does Ukraine take a shorter period of time than the 8-10 months? Sorry, i can't find where you wrote 2 months (I think it was in response to another one of my desperate posts). But i still don't know what the 2 months referred to.

How often does he need to go back to Ukraine if he decides to relocate to Nigeria? Just once for the interview as he can always have a friend pick up his mail?

Lastly, in Nigeria in early 2011, we became legally engaged, where you sign papers to state that you intend to marry, but there are no legal ramifications. Is this a problem when obtaining a fiancee visa because it was so long ago? We did this at the time because we thought it would assist with a visitor's visa.

So many questions. We appreciate all of your help. After 4 years together, I knew this process would be daunting and that is why i kept putting it off, but with all of the information we receive here, we couldn't be more grateful. Thank you!

Getting pregnant does nothing to affect the process.

You need to be engaged to apply for a K-1. Sign the letters of intent and forget about the Nigerian process. You are engaged, good.

I will say this again. AVOID NIGERIA. WALK, SWIM or HITCHHIKE TO UKRAINE. Am I clear? It does not matter what he "prefers" or what you think is "easy". You are not always (very rarely) going to get what you prefer in this process. GET OUT OF NIGERIA or anywhere near it, for this process.

If you do not believe me, go to the consulate reviews for Ukraine and Nigeria. Read and weep.

AVOID NIGERIA AT ANY COST

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.