Big Papa Zone

Well now........talk about coming full circle....

24 posts in this topic

So to surmise, it looks like the best option is to get hitched and file the I-130 whilst still a LPR, then get citizenship and "upgrade" to expedite the process, yes? Presumably then, the filing-to-NOA2 process won't take any longer than it did if I were already a USC, rather the hold-up will come at the NVC stage, correct? And tell me, whatever happened to the "Adjusting Status From The VWP" section of the site? Because that always used to be an option, albeit not one that was ever particularly recommended.

You've got that all correct. Since you have citizenship on the horizon to "upgrade", getting in the queue ASAP isn't as critical to take a number so to speak. But if this is going to take around 2 years, then a two year marriage would save the ROC application , documentation, and fees. She would get a 10 year card instead of the 2 year version. It's how long married at POE, not date visa is issued. I've never really studied those visa bulletins to see if they progress month for month. I think in a month's time the priority date could leap forward two months, or just two weeks, or even leap backwards. There's archives to study, but you probably "can't be arsed" to do so.

AOS from VWP is here http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 . Basically the I-130 petition and the AOS application go together in the same mailing. The NVC and London embassy steps are skipped. The forum for that is here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-tourist-visas/ and the "I got touched, I got an interview" talk is here http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/138-adjustment-of-status-case-filing-and-progress-reports/

BUT you have to be a USC before she can adjust status from VWP. Won't work for an LPR.

Yes, Mr. NN is a USC. He even voted in the November election. I can finally stop saving junk that proves we are a bonafide couple.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

OK, so to avoid being a complete "spoon-feeder" as you so succinctly and amusingly put it, I've been busy refreshing my memory on all this, and came upon this in the "minuses" column of the IR1/CR1 synopsis:

"Separation from family may be longer than if filing for a K-3 Visa (or K-1 visa for a non-married fiance)." Not arsed about that bit - we're only talking a few weeks. But then....... "The applicant will most likely not be able to enter the US while their IR1-CR-1 Visa is being processed."

And that's what I'd be applying for, right? The IR 1/CR 1? So what happened to "she can come visit on the VWP as long as she doesn't overstay?"

Damn, this laborious ####### really IS happening again!! Somebody pinch me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

OK, so to avoid being a complete "spoon-feeder" as you so succinctly and amusingly put it, I've been busy refreshing my memory on all this, and came upon this in the "minuses" column of the IR1/CR1 synopsis:

"Separation from family may be longer than if filing for a K-3 Visa (or K-1 visa for a non-married fiance)." Not arsed about that bit - we're only talking a few weeks. But then....... "The applicant will most likely not be able to enter the US while their IR1-CR-1 Visa is being processed."

And that's what I'd be applying for, right? The IR 1/CR 1? So what happened to "she can come visit on the VWP as long as she doesn't overstay?"

Damn, this laborious ####### really IS happening again!! Somebody pinch me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did that come from? The VJ guides? I don't read them personally. I read the form instructions and the official government websites. And experiences people have in London.

K3 is out in all practicality. The IR1/CR1 got as fast, so even if you want a K3, it will be administratively closed at NVC except in very rare cases.

Visits on VWP have not changed one bit. The CBP can still deny anybody they think might be trying to come too often or stay too long. Coming for 90 days, leaving two weeks, then coming again for 90 days eventually gains their scrutiny. Coming on a two week holiday every 3 months sits better with CBP. No official rules or science to it. It's how the officer on duty feels about you that day. If questioned in detail, it's good to be able to show a return ticket and some ties to the UK that would indicate you plan to return...like a lease, bank account, letter from employer showing a job to return to...that kind of stuff. A charming smile and low cut blouse might work for some. :P

Personally, when asked "what is the purpose of your visit?", I think they mean business or pleasure. I always answered "I'm on holiday" and see if they have further questions. Some people gush out their whole life story of boyfriend, may get married, filed for a visa, want to eventually live in the US. One time Mr. NN got the comment "you come here a lot" and he said "yes, I love it here because I always have a good time". Stamp. "Have a good trip." So you never know what kind of officer will be at the desk, but there is no law which says you can't visit on VWP when married to a USC or if you have a petition filed. I called CBP once and asked, as well as asked on two occasions at immigration when returning from the UK if they know who has a petition/visa in the works on their computer screen. They said NO. I guess it could be in their typed notes for those people who spill their guts before being asked specific questions, but petitions filed are not automatically part of CBP records on the airport computer screens.

Spoon feeders: you are actually the one who coined that. You asked me in a thread "why do you bother with these @&%#! spoon feeders? I don't count you as one of those. You put in your time and effort and are just needing a refresher summary.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Spoon feeders: you are actually the one who coined that. You asked me in a thread "why do you bother with these @&%#! spoon feeders?

Did I really???????? Good Lord!!!!!! Memory like Swiss cheese! :blink:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Did I really???????? Good Lord!!!!!! Memory like Swiss cheese! :blink:

You ARE old now, Mr. P. tongue.gif

You'll be doing the CR1, which is what I did. I did DCF, so I missed the whole NVC stage, but if you need help on the I-130 form-filling, let me know.

I'm off to figure out who she is from your FB page.biggrin.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

You ARE old now, Mr. P. tongue.gif

You'll be doing the CR1, which is what I did. I did DCF, so I missed the whole NVC stage, but if you need help on the I-130 form-filling, let me know.

I'm off to figure out who she is from your FB page.biggrin.gif

Hahahaaaaa!!! I think you'll figure it out pretty quickly!!!!!!!!!!! And remember, you have to be a USC to do DCF, or I'd already have moved back to Blighty, reestablished residence, and be TOTALLY on that!

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Hahahaaaaa!!! I think you'll figure it out pretty quickly!!!!!!!!!!! And remember, you have to be a USC to do DCF, or I'd already have moved back to Blighty, reestablished residence, and be TOTALLY on that!

I figured it out... and she's gorgeous! How the hell did you con her into marrying YOU? Black magic, maybe.star_smile.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline

I figured it out... and she's gorgeous! How the hell did you con her into marrying YOU? Black magic, maybe.star_smile.gif

Beats the hell outta me!!! And she insists that SHE'S the lucky one! I just have a knack of attracting women above my station I guess. :whistle:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline

And here we go again, folks - the official start of visajourney MkII.post-51126-0-81712600-1362463355_thumb.jpg

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.