SalJoy

Informing the employer about extension

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Am i supposed to inform my current employer once my GC expires and show them the Extension letter?

Please click on "Timeline" link on the left to view my timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Contrary to other posters, yes, you should update them so they can update your I-9.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Not to be picky, but this is from the USCIS website about the I-9:

Employers should not reverify:

U.S.citizens

Lawful permanent residents(LPRs) who presented a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) for Section 2

List B documents

And also not to be picky, but the extension is exactly that--the green card has not expired--it was extended.

Also, the oweness is on the employer to ask according to the uSCIS website--there is no requirement for the employee to present new information unless asked, exactly as iwaiting said

Edited by magical

Contrary to other posters, yes, you should update them so they can update your I-9.

you are wrong, the E-verify manual which talks about the i9, it states clearly for the people who hold a conditional green card, they are not required to re-verify.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Timeline

you are wrong, the E-verify manual which talks about the i9, it states clearly for the people who hold a conditional green card, they are not required to re-verify.

I didn't say "required" I said "should". I updated my boss. I wanted to keep him in the loop because I like my work and it shows the kinda person I am, complete honesty about my status. He didn't even ask for an i-9, I just gave it to him.

Timeline

Guess I'm going to be picky again !!

"Contrary to other posters, yes, you should update them so they can update your I-9."

V & T, no matter how you slice it, when you say or imply that you disagree with the previous posters who were absolutely correct in their responses, using "should" suggests that you are correct, since in your eyes they are wrong.

Timeline

Guess I'm going to be picky again !!

"Contrary to other posters, yes, you should update them so they can update your I-9."

V & T, no matter how you slice it, when you say or imply that you disagree with the previous posters who were absolutely correct in their responses, using "should" suggests that you are correct, since in your eyes they are wrong.

If I thought you were wrong I'd have said "the others are wrong", which I have no problem saying. "Contrary to other posters" simply means my opinion differs to the other posters. The OP, and other readers, can do what they like. I personally believe, contrary to others, that you SHOULD update your employer. You don't have to, they're technically not allowed to ask, but I updated my boss none-the-less, both with the NOA1 and when I got my new card. My I-9 is current and valid.

Timeline

Well, V & T, you are just digging your hole deeper. Opinions just don't matter--what matters is the law and how to operate within it. If you want to go beyond what is required, then state it that way so we don't waste a zillion electrons confusing people--what you did was no help at all, completely wrong in its implications, and therefore the rest of us had to correct it over and over. What a waste of time !!

Next time just say it is an opinion and you have no idea what the law is, and then we can treat it that way. we are all entitled to our own opinions, but we can't make up our own facts, particualry when it impacts peoples' lives.

Having said that, most of the time you are spot on, so when you aren't, it is a surprise !!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Well, V & T, you are just digging your hole deeper. Opinions just don't matter--what matters is the law and how to operate within it. If you want to go beyond what is required, then state it that way so we don't waste a zillion electrons confusing people--what you did was no help at all, completely wrong in its implications, and therefore the rest of us had to correct it over and over. What a waste of time !!

Next time just say it is an opinion and you have no idea what the law is, and then we can treat it that way. we are all entitled to our own opinions, but we can't make up our own facts, particualry when it impacts peoples' lives.

Having said that, most of the time you are spot on, so when you aren't, it is a surprise !!

Nice to see you back Magical.

The NOA1/ the GC extension letter extends the validity of GC, as such the GC is fully valid till the next expiry date. There is no change in the status to inform anyone.

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.