Canadian Bacon

I-130; Address and Domicile

1 post in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I was forwarded here and hope someone can help!

I'm currently filling out the I-130 for my husband(Canadian) and found a problem in answering some of the questions.

I'm a US citizen currently living with my husband in Canada, I'm on a study permit so we will eventually have to go back to the US however we decided it would be best for us to move back this year if possible due to unforeseen financial circumstances. My father has agreed to be a co-sponsor, as I'm a student and cannot easily/legally work in Canada.

Here's our problem: My husband and I plan to move to Portland, OR to live, work, and continue our education at some point. However, I won't be able to officially get a job until we move there and attend some interviews. This is the same problem with apartments, we can apply for them but we most likely won't get a lease unless the manager meets us in person. My parents have agreed to let us stay with them in Nebraska as needed, their address is my permanent address in the US. Since the Montreal consulate is picky about domicile, would it be best for my husband and I to move back to Nebraska for a couple of months before moving to Portland?

Are PR's allowed to move around freely, without scrutiny, in the US after being admitted?

We need to continue our education part-time but the only place that we can afford that offers our majors is in Portland...we can delay a semester(3-4 months) but not longer than that - I'll forget all the Japanese I learned!

Also, in B.2 of the I-130 I should put my address abroad, correct? We need to move back to the US as soon as possible.

On C.18 should I put N/A and list we are going to Portland or my parents?

If there's no problem with us moving to Portland a month or so after moving to my parents house in NE, I'll put my parents address for C.18.

The documents I have/can have for establishing domicile are:

Apartment inquiries(this could be apartment applications near the time of interview)

Job applications/contacts

Moving Quotes

School applications(college)

Admission records

Accepted transfer of credits

Registration in courses

Nebraska drivers lic.

The documents for residence at my parents house are/can be:

Letter of agreement with my parents for x said monthly amount(utilities included)

Moving Quotes

Shipment slips of my stuff shipped back to my parents house.(UPS)

Job applications, I have plenty of contacts back in NE - getting a job there would be easy as pie

Registration for classes at my old college

Nebraska Drivers lic.

Voter registration

Thank you for your help!

-Crystal

S56Lm8.png
rFeXm8.png
ItOPm8.png

tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto1_400.png
tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto2_1280.png
tumblr_msyxny883n1rhdguto1_1280.png
19/09/13 - 3rd checklist for Police Record, claiming nothing was attached to the email. Checked sent email- it was attached (downloaded to make sure the file wasn't corrupt, it was fine.)
01/10/13 - Case complete- finally!
03/10/13 - "The National Visa Center has forwarded your file to the US Embassy/Consulate General where you are applying for an immigrant visa."- recieved P4.
22/10/13 - Medical exam - Montreal @ Medisys - Time: 1h 50m Cost: $290 for exam, $20 for flu shot, $45 dtap. Total: $355. Score 6/10 - bad/insufficient office management.

04/11/13 - Medical papers in hand. Becareful, our package was in cheap envelopes stapled together...
20-11-13 - Interview - APPROVED!

20-11-13 - ISSUED but in AP.

22-11-13 - Issued - PRINTED.

25-11-13 - shipped.

29-11-13 - picked up. smile.png

03-12-13 - Flight to Vancouver to pickup the rest of our stuff from storage. Also our first wedding anniversary. <3

04-12-13 - POE Peace Arch - Pacific Highway

06/12/13 - Home

10/01/14 - SAVE contacted SSA office on our behalf and SSA accepted the SSN application

18/01/14 - SSN arrived

22/01/14 - Received driver's license.

24/01/14 - Green card received in mail!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.