Jcf

Marriage in the US - K1 pending

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We filed for K1 back in June and still no NOA2, so it's been 8 months. We have filed 2 service requests already and talked to pretty much anyone we could (senators, congressmen etc) and none of it helped. From what I saw on Igor's list everyone from June has been approved already (the ones who are still waiting got an RFE which is not my case). Our case is pretty simple so I really don't understand why it's taking so long, I feel like they lost our package.

I came to the US with my tourist visa in November and had a ticket back home in December (which I've been changing ever since waiting for the approval). I can stay until May.

I've been told you could get married here and apply for AOS and wondered if we should do it. We are way behind processing times compared to everyone else and it's really taking a toll. We just want this to be over and it's not like we're trying to take a short cut, we have done everything we could. And even after NOA2 it will take 2 months to get an interview and later on get married, apply for AOS etc.

I did not come here with the intent of getting married, I visited 2 times before for a couple of weeks and went back home. If I wanted to get married here I could have done it back then or right after I got here in November. I know the K1 is a proof we were planning on getting married, but that means eventually (after the approval), I mean we waited 8 months for it.

What do you suggest? And "hanging in there" is becoming less of an option everyday...

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would suggest finding something else to focus on while you wait for the approval. We were in a similar situation (so I know how miserable this can be) and the approval came through eventually.

I wouldn't want to complicate the process by marrying and then going the AOS route but it is really up to you. Good luck whatever you decide.

NOA 2. Really?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

There are quite a few I-130s from June at VSC not yet approved. I know you have a I-129F, but I wouldn't lose hope yet.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend what you are thinking - you could end up in a world of trouble if USCIS decides they don't like the story. Plus, things might not go so smoothly next time. We had a completely smooth and easy I-129F process and never once had to call to USCIS and had no RFEs. Our I-130 has been a steaming pile of you know what.

Stay the course, you'll be glad you did. :thumbs:

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

I've been told you could get married here and apply for AOS and wondered if we should do it. We are way behind processing times compared to everyone else and it's really taking a toll. We just want this to be over and it's not like we're trying to take a short cut, we have done everything we could. And even after NOA2 it will take 2 months to get an interview and later on get married, apply for AOS etc.

Thanks!

Entering the US on a tourist visa with intent to marry (and doing so) is visa fraud, and since you have a k1 petition pending, it's pretty clear you have intent to marry. You risk a US entry ban for a number of years for visa fraud, and since you've already invested 8 months waiting it seems super crazy to consider something that could result on your not being able to emigrate at all. No one on here will recommend you try this.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Entering the US on a tourist visa with intent to marry (and doing so) is visa fraud, and since you have a k1 petition pending, it's pretty clear you have intent to marry. You risk a US entry ban for a number of years for visa fraud, and since you've already invested 8 months waiting it seems super crazy to consider something that could result on your not being able to emigrate at all. No one on here will recommend you try this.

I agree with this. Plus you have another 3 months you can stay legally in the US. Consider yourself very lucky to be waiting for your NOA2 and not being seperated from your fiance.

NOA1 - 8/24/2012

NOA2 - 3/18/2013 Only took 207 days at CSC

event.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Like the above poster said, wait. You are fortunate to be with your fiance. Hanging in there IS an option because you're already with your fiance.

July 09, 2012 - Sent in application for I-129f petition for K1 Visa
Dec. 31, 2012 - NOA2
Feb. 23, 2013 - Visa received
March 31, 2013 - POE
April 12, 2013 - Wedding! (41213 prime!)

May 02, 2013 - Sent off AOS, EAD, AP package

May 04, 2013 - Package arrived at Chicago lockbox

May 22, 2013 - Early walk in Biometrics, Alexandria VA

June 03, 2013 - RFE for AOS

June 17, 2013 - RFE response received

July 05, 2013 - EAD and AP approved

July 10, 2013 - EAD card production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.