YourHumboldtBud

Updating Status at the Philippine Embassy and Passport Renewal Inquiry

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

After getting married and obtaining our Marriage Certificate we were told at CFO for my wife to update our status with the NSO. Does anybody know how long it takes to get updated once it is sent to the Philippine Embassy? My wife's passport will also need to be renewed since it expires next month. We want to make sure her new passport has her new last name. Does anybody know if we can do do both in one day updating status/passport renewal, or do we allow some time for the marriage to be updated with NSO before my wife applies for her new passport?

Edited by YourHumboldtBud

After getting married and obtaining our Marriage Certificate we were told at CFO for my wife to update our status with the NSO. Does anybody know how long it takes to get updated once it is sent to the Philippine Embassy? My wife's passport will also need to be renewed since it expires next month. We want to make sure her new passport has her new last name. Does anybody know if we can do do both in one day updating status/passport renewal, or do we allow some time for the marriage to be updated with NSO before my wife applies for her new passport?

depending on how long you have been married the NSO may or may not have your marriage uploaded into their system. If it's already in their system you can get a copy of this from their website in about 4 days, if it's not in the system about 4 weeks. The passport can be done in as little as 15 days if you expedite. The Philippine embassy has nothing to do with either of these things. On a side note I would think that you would have already had a copy from the NSO showing your marriage in order to apply for your visa. Hope this helps.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your marriage took place here in the Philippines, all you need is an NSO copy of your marriage certificate to present at DFA so your wife can use her married name on her passport (and other ID cards).

When did you get married? You could have applied for Advance Endorsement of your MC so you can get an NSO copy within 3 weeks to 2 months (I got mine in 2 months) instead of the normal processing time of 6 months.

The Philippine Embassy/Consulate gets involved only IF the marriage took place ABROAD (outside the Philippines). A Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad should be filed at the nearest Philippine Consulate who has jurisdiction of the area.

Edited by apple21

Your post makes it sound like you got married in the Philippines because you said you went to the CFO seminar after you were married and after you got a copy of your marriage certificate. However, you were a K-1'er, so that's clearly not the case. Instead, you were married in the U.S.

Because you were married in the U.S., there is no requirement to update your status with the NSO. However, since your wife wants to renew/amend her Philippines passport, it will be necessary for you guys to file a report of marriage with the Philippines Consulate which has jurisdiction over the state where you were married. This can be done by mail, or in person, or at an outreach program.

You can report your marriage and renew/amend her passport at the same time either in person at the Philippines Consulate or at one of their outreach programs. Check the Philippines Consulate's website for details and requirements.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJ sorry for any confusion.

My Wife and I were married here in Las Vegas in Nov 2012. We're planning to do our Church Wedding(Renewal of Vows) in PI in the future, hence our inquiry about going to the closest Philippine Embassy(San Francisco) to turn in A Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad so we can do a renewal of vows as well as renewing my wife's passport with her new last name.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Now at the Philippine embassy if you went there and had all the necessary documents, you can complete the processing for reporting the marriage and renewing the passport in a day, it will still take weeks/months before its all completed and the new passport arrives.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

My Wife and I were married here in Las Vegas...

The Philippines Consulate in Los Angeles has jurisdiction over Las Vegas. That's where you should report your marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.