Ginet

Honestly, I think we are going to get denied

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

9 FAM 40.21(a) N2.3-4 Intentional Distribution of Controlled Substances

(CT:VISA-1810; 02-23-2012)

The Board of Immigration Appeals has determined that a conviction for the intentional distribution of a controlled substance or a conviction for drug

trafficking is now considered to a crime involving moral turpitude. A typical drug statute that would constitute a crime involving moral turpitude is

“possession with intent to distribute.” In order to be a crime involving moral turpitude, a conviction is required, as an ineligibility under INA

212(a)(2)©(1) based only on “reason to believe”, and not a conviction is not a crime involving moral turpitude. The mere possession or use of a controlled substance is not a crime involving moral turpitude.

9 FAM 40.21(a) N5.2 Admissions Relating to Acquittals or Dismissals (TL:VISA-29; 01-12-1990)

An admission by an alien is deemed ineffective with respect to a crime for which the alien has been tried and acquitted, or, for which, charges have

been dismissed by a court.

Look here:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

rBHLm8.png

6VHxm8.png

9 FAM 40.21(a) N2.3-4 Intentional Distribution of Controlled Substances

(CT:VISA-1810; 02-23-2012)

The Board of Immigration Appeals has determined that a conviction for the intentional distribution of a controlled substance or a conviction for drug

trafficking is now considered to a crime involving moral turpitude. A typical drug statute that would constitute a crime involving moral turpitude is

“possession with intent to distribute.” In order to be a crime involving moral turpitude, a conviction is required, as an ineligibility under INA

212(a)(2)©(1) based only on “reason to believe”, and not a conviction is not a crime involving moral turpitude. The mere possession or use of a controlled substance is not a crime involving moral turpitude.

9 FAM 40.21(a) N5.2 Admissions Relating to Acquittals or Dismissals (TL:VISA-29; 01-12-1990)

An admission by an alien is deemed ineffective with respect to a crime for which the alien has been tried and acquitted, or, for which, charges have

been dismissed by a court.

Look here:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

Oh wow, Thanks for informing me of that statute. It's fairly recent also.

One mroe thing to add.

Based on what OP said, he was found not guilty due to the lack of evidence. While his case was dismissed it is different being found not guilty, since he didn't commit the crime. While lack of evidence will give you a not guilty verdict, if new evidence could be found he still can be prosecuted, it doesn't mean that the crime was not commited. I am not trying to scare OP, but he needs to understand a difference and face possible circumstances. It is really all depends on the CO, how he will see it.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

I am petitioning my husband. He has had a little, well actually big, legal problem. He told me at first about it, but I didn't think much of it because he told me that he was found not guilty by a judge. The offense is hideous. It’s Drug Trafficking. I didn't think about it affecting our petition until i read the immigration law regarding "reason to believe" you’re a drug trafficker and the complete inadmissibility behind it. We sent in the official court transcript to NVC. I've read the court testimony. They found drugs (cocaine) at my husband's father's home suspected to be of a Colombian who was staying there. My husband's uncle who was there when the police raided his father's house told the authorities that my husband was also involved. So they sought out my husband. The judge declared that my husband didn't live there at the time since during the raid they didn’t find evidence that he lived there and that there was not sufficient evidence to charge him of the crime. So he was found not guilty. My worry is that the immigration officer may not see it as such. They only need mere suspicion and an arrest can do it. I know that my husband was not in any way involved in that. That is the only problem with the law he ever had. I will fight any way possible for him to live with me in the states but it does not look good for us. Do we need an attorney to go with us to the interview? Its next month..

He wasn't even charged with a crime, I'm not sure what the big deal is. If there is nothing in his police record, how would USCIS know about it?

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

keep us informed on how things turn out for you. my husband was arrested for armed robbery a few years ago and eventually found innocent, his record is clean but i too worry. i talked to a lawyer who's a friend of the family and she said they will most likely respect the judges ruling and it won't be a big issue. maybe it's hard for americans to realize that in a lot of countries caribbean/central america the police can arrest you with absolutely no evidence, they don;t play the same down here. wish you guys good luck. i am having a problem though because the court refuses to give me any records and said they only issue police reports which i already have and it;s clean.

One mroe thing to add.

Based on what OP said, he was found not guilty due to the lack of evidence. While his case was dismissed it is different being found not guilty, since he didn't commit the crime. While lack of evidence will give you a not guilty verdict, if new evidence could be found he still can be prosecuted, it doesn't mean that the crime was not commited. I am not trying to scare OP, but he needs to understand a difference and face possible circumstances. It is really all depends on the CO, how he will see it.

Found not guilty due to lack of evidence and reasonable doubt. It was basically heresay. No direct evidence, no admission, just an uncle. I'm no longer worried because it could of been worse, he could of been found guilty of a crime he did not commit. I just know that the COs will have a field day with this one.

keep us informed on how things turn out for you. my husband was arrested for armed robbery a few years ago and eventually found innocent, his record is clean but i too worry. i talked to a lawyer who's a friend of the family and she said they will most likely respect the judges ruling and it won't be a big issue. maybe it's hard for americans to realize that in a lot of countries caribbean/central america the police can arrest you with absolutely no evidence, they don;t play the same down here. wish you guys good luck. i am having a problem though because the court refuses to give me any records and said they only issue police reports which i already have and it;s clean.

Thank you so much.. Sorry for your situation also.. If I make it through I'm sure you will since their is zero tolerance for any drug related crime in immigration. I will keep you posted on how the interview goes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

He wasn't even charged with a crime, I'm not sure what the big deal is. If there is nothing in his police record, how would USCIS know about it?

You'd be surprised what they can dig up from a person's past. It's kinda scary actually.

It wasn't in the US. It was in his country, Dominican Republic. His police certificate is clear, he has nothing. He was completely proven not guilty. He has no criminal record, just this court record of the not guilty verdict.

The fact charges were not applied to your husband and he was found Not Guilty, you both are fine. Please don't let this worry you any longer. Technology is so advance and you know government will do investigations. He is a criminal free man and will get approved. After his approval your story will encourage another couple dealing with the same thing. Just relax. B-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

read the OP's first post and post #14..on the ds-230 it asks if the beneficiary has been arrested for any crime, they had to send the court transcript to the NVC with the ds-230. It is a big deal, he was charged, he just wasn't convicted.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I am petitioning my husband. He has had a little, well actually big, legal problem. He told me at first about it, but I didn't think much of it because he told me that he was found not guilty by a judge. The offense is hideous. It's Drug Trafficking. I didn't think about it affecting our petition until i read the immigration law regarding "reason to believe" you're a drug trafficker and the complete inadmissibility behind it. We sent in the official court transcript to NVC. I've read the court testimony. They found drugs (cocaine) at my husband's father's home suspected to be of a Colombian who was staying there. My husband's uncle who was there when the police raided his father's house told the authorities that my husband was also involved. So they sought out my husband. The judge declared that my husband didn't live there at the time since during the raid they didn't find evidence that he lived there and that there was not sufficient evidence to charge him of the crime. So he was found not guilty. My worry is that the immigration officer may not see it as such. They only need mere suspicion and an arrest can do it. I know that my husband was not in any way involved in that. That is the only problem with the law he ever had. I will fight any way possible for him to live with me in the states but it does not look good for us. Do we need an attorney to go with us to the interview? Its next month..

I don't know that they will allow an attorney in the interview but your statement above is inconsistent. Only people actually charged with a crime can be found not guilty. You say there was not sufficient evidence to charge him with a crime. If he was not charged, then he could not be found not guilty. That said, yes, you have reason for concern, for the exact reasons you indicate.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You'd be surprised what they can dig up from a person's past. It's kinda scary actually.

they can dig up anything and everything. At my husband's interview the CO had information that we never told them, it was about my ex husband( a few questions about my marriage to my ex, not anything involving any crimes, but the CO did know he answers). We were asked about these things, and answered truthfully. That is why it is imperative to always be honest at all times during this process!!!

I don't know that they will allow an attorney in the interview but your statement above is inconsistent. Only people actually charged with a crime can be found not guilty. You say there was not sufficient evidence to charge him with a crime. If he was not charged, then he could not be found not guilty. That said, yes, you have reason for concern, for the exact reasons you indicate.

I was wondering the same, how can he be found not guilty if he was never charged?

Timeline

I was wondering the same, how can he be found not guilty if he was never charged?

Right, it doesn't work that way. This is a time for the OP and spouse to be extremely detail oriented, to be sure to understand fully and use all the correct terminology. Not doing so, will sound fishy to the Consular Officer and that's NEVER a good thing.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Charged as in accused yes, arrested yes. After trial with lawyers etc found not guilty.

Timeline

Charged as in accused yes, arrested yes. After trial with lawyers etc found not guilty.

Then he was arrested, charged with a crime, tried and found not guilty. You said he wasn't charged. You'll want to avoid that inaccuracy in the future.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.