ja2013

deadline for submitting additional documents

10 posts in this topic

Yes, there is a deadline. I have no idea what it is for your situation, but the embassy is not going to keep a case open "forever." 90 days should be sufficient time for you to gather any additional documents and send them. If it is going to take longer than 90 days you might want to let the embassy know what the holdup is and, hopefully, give the embassy an idea of when you will have the additional documents and send them.

Best of luck!

Filed: Timeline

Yes, there is a deadline. I have no idea what it is for your situation, but the embassy is not going to keep a case open "forever." 90 days should be sufficient time for you to gather any additional documents and send them. If it is going to take longer than 90 days you might want to let the embassy know what the holdup is and, hopefully, give the embassy an idea of when you will have the additional documents and send them.

Best of luck!

Thanks. Actually, 90 days may not be sufficient in my case since I have to amend all my civil documents and submit them to the consulate. Is there a rule that the consulate uses to establish the deadline? I was thinking that the deadline would be 1 year after NVC received the approved petition from USCIS.

Thanks. Actually, 90 days may not be sufficient in my case since I have to amend all my civil documents and submit them to the consulate. Is there a rule that the consulate uses to establish the deadline? I was thinking that the deadline would be 1 year after NVC received the approved petition from USCIS.

It might be to your advantage to try and contact the consulate and let them know what you heed to do [are doing] and how long you expect it might take for you to get the documents and send them to the embassy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So you need to do this BEFORE your interview? If so yes, the I-130 is usually valid for a year, just keep in touch with the embassy so they know you are interested in persuing a visa and postpone the interview.

If you are talking about AFTER the interview, as mentioned in your OP, then yes, there is a deadline of often 40 or 90 days.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

So you need to do this BEFORE your interview? If so yes, the I-130 is usually valid for a year, just keep in touch with the embassy so they know you are interested in persuing a visa and postpone the interview.

If you are talking about AFTER the interview, as mentioned in your OP, then yes, there is a deadline of often 40 or 90 days.

It is after interview. The consulate knows that I am going to amend all of my civil documents but I will send them another e-mail (they only accept e-mails for IVs)and give them a detailed breakdown item by item of how long it will take to get each document. Just to get my NYS marriage certificate amended can take up to 8 weeks and it can't be done simultaneously with other documents. Will the consulate usually make an exception to 40-90 days if they are notified about the length of time ahead of time?

Thank you.

USCIS:
January 26, 2010 - got married
March 8, 2012 - became US citizen
April 16, 2012 - sent I-130 package
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:
Oct 10, 2012 - Received NVC case number and INN (by e-mail)
Oct 10, 2012 - Received AOS fee invoice (by e-mail)
Oct 11, 2012 - Sent DS-3032 (by e-mail)
Oct 12, 2012 - Paid AOS fee online
Oct 16, 2012 - Accepted DS-3032
Oct 18, 2012 - IV bill generated
Oct 18, 2012 - Paid IV fee online
Oct 22, 2012 - Mailed AOS package
Oct 22, 2012 - Mailed IV package
Nov 8, 2012 - Case complete at NVC (notified by phone)

Consulate:

Jan 29, 2013 - Visa interview

Apr 10, 2013 - Visa issued

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

That would depend on the consulate, and how long exactly you will need. They may be annoyed that you didn't just get this in order and delay your interview. They may require you to have another interview (do medical again, pay visa fee).

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

That would depend on the consulate, and how long exactly you will need. They may be annoyed that you didn't just get this in order and delay your interview. They may require you to have another interview (do medical again, pay visa fee).

I never knew about the problem (32 years) and the NVC accepted all documents. It was only after they asked to resubmit a new birth certificate during the interview that I found out I need to redo all of my civil documents.

I just did an estimation of how long it will take me to get all the required docs based on information that I was given from the relevant government entities that will do the amendments and it is 105 business days (21 weeks, 4.8 months) since the day of my interview. :angry::wow::bonk:

Do you think I should send them the detailed breakdown of my time estimations so they clearly see ahead of time how long it may take to do all of these.

Thanks

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Timeline

Ahh ok I missunderstood as your signature and timeline don't mention an interview.

Were you given a piece of paper at interview stating a deadline? Either way, yes, I think contacting the embassy and stating that you think it will take X weeks because of Y process and Z bureaucratic policies is best. Add a little extra time for delays.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Ahh ok I missunderstood as your signature and timeline don't mention an interview.

Were you given a piece of paper at interview stating a deadline? Either way, yes, I think contacting the embassy and stating that you think it will take X weeks because of Y process and Z bureaucratic policies is best. Add a little extra time for delays.

Sorry, my wife hasn't updated the timeline :) I was given a yellow piece of paper and on it it says "You can bring and drop the indicated documents ........without the need to schedule an appointment or pay another fee within one year after your initial interview". This is the only reference to time on the paper.

USCIS:
April 21, 2012 - NOA 1
Oct 2, 2012 - NOA 2

NVC:

Consulate:

Apr 24, 2013 - POE (JFK)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.