Kristy

What to send?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing some papers to send for my fiance's interview in London. I didn't make enough to file taxes so I read on here somewhere that I should provide a statement saying that I didn't. What should the statement say? Also, is it really necessary to provide a letter from my dad's employer (he is the co sponsor) or will pay stubs be ok?

Thanks!

I used to file taxes, even back when I made $10,000 per year. You still have to file even if you don't make enough, from my understanding.

Plus, are you sure your affidavit of support will be sufficient if you lived below the poverty line this year?

At this time, your last tax year CAN be 2011. Taxes from 2012 are not due until April 15, so you don't have to have your taxes done, and hence do not have to submit the 2012 return with the affidavit, until after April 15.

I am the USC.

--------------

Permanent Resident since December 23, 2013

Filed N-400, February 8, 2017

Timeline

I used to file taxes, even back when I made $10,000 per year. You still have to file even if you don't make enough, from my understanding.

Plus, are you sure your affidavit of support will be sufficient if you lived below the poverty line this year?

At this time, your last tax year CAN be 2011. Taxes from 2012 are not due until April 15, so you don't have to have your taxes done, and hence do not have to submit the 2012 return with the affidavit, until after April 15.

My dad is our co sponsor, so the fact that I made below the poverty line doesn't matter with my affidavit of support. Also, my dad has already filed his taxes and received a refund. Also, if you make below 9,500 you don't have to file.

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing some papers to send for my fiance's interview in London. I didn't make enough to file taxes so I read on here somewhere that I should provide a statement saying that I didn't. What should the statement say? Also, is it really necessary to provide a letter from my dad's employer (he is the co sponsor) or will pay stubs be ok?

Thanks!

Anybody know?

My dad is our co sponsor, so the fact that I made below the poverty line doesn't matter with my affidavit of support. Also, my dad has already filed his taxes and received a refund. Also, if you make below 9,500 you don't have to file.

Anybody know?

I brought a letter and the last two pay stubs for myself. Human Resources or his supervisor should be able to write an "evidence of employment letter with salary" with company address, letterhead, and telephone number (where they can call to verify). I think that if he is a co-sponsor, he also needs to fill out his own affidavit of support form and sign it. I suppose you could do it for him if he gave you all the information, but it is probably less awkward if you handed him the form and the instruction sheet and asked him to fill it out for you and to provide the proof he feels is necessary based on the instructions. If he has any questions, he could ask. I always say, the more you can submit as proof, the better. Then they can't ask for it and delay your case.

I am the USC.

--------------

Permanent Resident since December 23, 2013

Filed N-400, February 8, 2017

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

This is LONDON information (and not for anybody else because I haven't studied other consulates.)

For the I-134, London doesn't care why you didn't file taxes. They don't even require a tax return from a sponsor. They basically want a sponsor and if you can't do it, then your Dad's I-134 will be fine. They will take any valid proof of his income. Two forms of proof is suggested but usually one form is all they keep and file.

Pick two from the list. ANY two--

1. Tax return + W2 or 1099 (photocopies) OR Tax transcript (I'd send original because they are so easy to get another for your adjustment of status)
  2. Pay stubs (photocopies)
  3. Letter from employer (original on letterhead)
  4. Pension statement (photocopies)
  5. Social Security statement (photocopies)
  6. Financial statements showing investment assets if going that route. (bank, Edward Jones, Charles Scwaab, brokers)
  7. Anything else that shows income

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

This is LONDON information (and not for anybody else because I haven't studied other consulates.)

For the I-134, London doesn't care why you didn't file taxes. They don't even require a tax return from a sponsor. They basically want a sponsor and if you can't do it, then your Dad's I-134 will be fine. They will take any valid proof of his income. Two forms of proof is suggested but usually one form is all they keep and file.

Pick two from the list. ANY two--

1. Tax return + W2 or 1099 (photocopies) OR Tax transcript (I'd send original because they are so easy to get another for your adjustment of status)
  2. Pay stubs (photocopies)
  3. Letter from employer (original on letterhead)
  4. Pension statement (photocopies)
  5. Social Security statement (photocopies)
  6. Financial statements showing investment assets if going that route. (bank, Edward Jones, Charles Scwaab, brokers)
  7. Anything else that shows income

Thank you SO much! This is exactly what I needed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.