Dying Goddess

Medical Exam?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I didn't see it in the K3 visa guide section, but I may have passed over it. Can anyone please tell me if a medical examination is required for my foreign fiance for this specific type of visa? I know it is for the fiance visa, but not sure if it is for this one. (If we choose the route for the spousal visa, we are marring in June in Uruguay.) We are still deciding which is the best option for us. We are worried about him passing the medical exam because he had a pretty rough past with drugs and self mutilation. (He's COMPLETELY recovered now though!) We are scared he will fail if they see the cuts on his arms. It's a long story... :(

Edited by Dying Goddess

Currently: Trying to decide which kind of visa to file for.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
I didn't see it in the K3 visa guide section, but I may have passed over it. Can anyone please tell me if a medical examination is required for my foreign fiance for this specific type of visa? I know it is for the fiance visa, but not sure if it is for this one. (If we choose the route for the spousal visa, we are marring in June in Uruguay.) We are still deciding which is the best option for us. We are worried about him passing the medical exam because he had a pretty rough past with drugs and self mutilation. (He's COMPLETELY recovered now though!) We are scared he will fail if they see the cuts on his arms. It's a long story... :(

Yes, a medical exam is required of all visa recipients, regardless of the class of visa. It is a pretty comprehensive medical exam, equivalent to a physical exam in the U.S. Also, there are several innoculations that are required. When he receives his packet from the embassy it will contain all the information regarding location, payment of fees, etc.

One caution: it is not a good idea to mention drug use at the interview. It is automatic exclusion.

Timeline

Well... he has been clean for as long as we've been together. (Two years.) Maybe he shouldn't just blurt it out, but if asked, he should answer truthfully, right? He would pass a drug test no problem. I guess what I need to know is if a history of drugs is okay as long as he's clean now. If that's not the case, I don't know what to do... I'm so scared. :crying:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

i remember reading a post from ALEXANDMARIA - Mexico consulate. Their visa was denied this summer due to admitting using drugs in 2005 - but clean now. I believe consulate said you must be clean for 3 years. And had to wait for the 3 years to be up before visa could be approved. You might want to find someone from Uruguay though who has experienced this. I would definitely do research on this - my guess right now is that he would be denied.

Sorry - Allie

2/24/06: 129 mailed

3/01/06: NOA1

5/02/06: NOA2

5/18/06: CDJ Receives case

7/19/06: CDJ mails packet

8/02/06: Interview - Visa not recevied - put on AR "false hit" fingersprint check had to be done.

11/15/06: Called DHS to see if they had any info on my case - They advised security cleared in Oct. - now waiting for appt letter from CDJ for Visa Pickup. :)

11/27/06: recvd letter from CDJ - Appointment set for Jan 11, 2007

1/11/07: Visa received!!!!!

AOS:

3/26/07: AOS mailed

4/3/07: NOA1

4/23/07: Biometrics Appt

5/2/07: AOS transferred to CSC

5/21/07: Email from CSC stating AOS pending

6/12/07: EAD Card ordered (received email)

6/20/07: EAD Card received in mail

8/23/07: Card Production Ordered

8/30/07: Greencard received in mail

Lifting of Conditions:

5/26/09: I-751 mailed

6/1/09: NOA1

6/3/09: Check Cashed

7/7/09: Biometrics Appt

10/30/09: Approval Date

11/5/09: Received Notice in the mail

11/21/09: Greencard received in mail!

Naturalization:

8/12/10: N-400 Mailed

8/20/10: NOA1 (check cashed 8/24)

9/8/10: Early Biometrics. In and Out in 5 min!

9/22/10: Scheduled Biometrics Appt

11/4/10: Interview Appt - Passed!!!

01/27/11: Oath!!! Yippee!!

Filed: Timeline

jsassman,

Not true. The B visas, for example, do not require a medical exam.

Yodrak

I didn't see it in the K3 visa guide section, but I may have passed over it. Can anyone please tell me if a medical examination is required for my foreign fiance for this specific type of visa? ....

Yes, a medical exam is required of all visa recipients, regardless of the class of visa. .....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Well... he has been clean for as long as we've been together. (Two years.) Maybe he shouldn't just blurt it out, but if asked, he should answer truthfully, right? He would pass a drug test no problem. I guess what I need to know is if a history of drugs is okay as long as he's clean now. If that's not the case, I don't know what to do... I'm so scared. :crying:

You should also read about visa ineligibilities, especially the part in reference to drug use, and then consider consulting a lawyer to see what you would be up against. He does have to tell the truth at the medical and at the interview he will be under oath.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligib...ities_1364.html

to have a physical or mental disorder and behavior associated with the disorder that may pose, or has posed, a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others, or

(II) to have had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder, which behavior has posed a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur or to lead to other harmful behavior, or

(iv) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to be a drug abuser or addict, is inadmissible.

Filed: Timeline

Dying Goddess,

kitkat's advice deserves reptition, especially here at VJ where DIYers tend to provide over-simplified advice based on superficial information.

Your comment that "It's a long story..." emphasizes that a thorough and professional review of the facts of the case may be essential.

Yodrak

Well... he has been clean for as long as we've been together. (Two years.) Maybe he shouldn't just blurt it out, but if asked, he should answer truthfully, right? He would pass a drug test no problem. I guess what I need to know is if a history of drugs is okay as long as he's clean now. If that's not the case, I don't know what to do... I'm so scared.

You should also read about visa ineligibilities, especially the part in reference to drug use, and then consider consulting a lawyer to see what you would be up against. He does have to tell the truth at the medical and at the interview he will be under oath.

..... We are worried about him passing the medical exam because he had a pretty rough past with drugs and self mutilation. (He's COMPLETELY recovered now though!) We are scared he will fail if they see the cuts on his arms. It's a long story...

Filed: Other Timeline

Some people have been denied because they admitted to recreational drug use 20 years ago in high school, and have never used since. There are waivers and such, but as I understand, its complicated and may require the use of a lawyer.

The self mutilation in and of itself may not be grounds for inadmissability, usually they're looking for communicable diseases in the health exam. However, as posted above, dangerous behaviour could make one inadmissable.

Its not the end of the world, nor is it insurmountable. It well may be long and frustrating tho. Hang in there, and consider all your options.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Thank you everyone for the information and advice. I'm looking into a lawyer now, but I have no idea how I am going to afford it. Do you think it is possible for him to pass regardless of his history?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
One caution: it is not a good idea to mention drug use at the interview. It is automatic exclusion.

Bad advice, very bad advice. What ever you do, don't lie to them or knowingly withhold information.

You also mentioned he has a history of self harm. Has he suffered from depression too? The medical will often also require information from the doctor regarding this. I.E. meds taken, how long the depressive episodes lasted etc etc

I think you really need a lawyer for this, it is a complicated issue and proper legal advice should be sought.

Good luck with it all. :)

Edited by mags

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

See tigre's posts on the mental health issue. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28634 Somewhere I think she gave an example of the letter she wrote to the panel physician as well as a descrption of what the psychiatrist wrote. Hope this helps.

As far as the drug usage, I agree with other posts, get a lawyer.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Timeline

He has suffered from depression, but without medication. He's gotten his life together quite well over the past two years. I realize that the medical examination and interviews are looking out for the greater good of our country, and he does SEEM like a potential risk, but he's truly not. He's not going to harm himself or anyone else. I hope he and I can get that message through to the proper authorities. I love this country more than I could ever love ANY man, so I would never bring anyone here that could potentially harm anyone. I guess I'm going to need a really good lawyer. :(

Edited by Dying Goddess

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
He has suffered from depression, but without medication. He's gotten his life together quite well over the past two years. I realize that the medical examination and interviews are looking out for the greater good of our country, and he does SEEM like a potential risk, but he's truly not. He's not going to harm himself or anyone else. I hope he and I can get that message through to the proper authorities. I love this country more than I could ever love ANY man, so I would never bring anyone here that could potentially harm anyone. I guess I'm going to need a really good lawyer. :(

Could you possibly move to his country instead?

Timeline

I've thought about moving to his country, and I would love to, but my Mother made me feel so guilty about it when I mentioned it to her. I cried for days because of what she said to me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.