aussiewench

Yardies, at home and a farrin'

5,682 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Does anyone know why they can't get student loans? I mean they have to pay it back; it's not free. Does anyone know at what stage(visa) they would be able to apply for student loans? This girl I used to work with came from the Ukraine on a K-1 visa and received a degree before citizenship from our local state university. According to her account she received grants and financial aid :o . I wish I knew how to contact her now to find out how she did it. Dee had a good point about tuition reimbursement, I think you would have to go to an accredited school though.

One of our clients (we are a telemarketing company) offers student loans, and of course credit cards. These are only available to Permanent residents or US Citizens. It has never come up, but I assume a Conditional Permanent resident would also be eligible.

01/21/2003 Married

I-130 filed August 2003

K-3 filed August 2003

K-3 Approved Dec 2003

01/07/2004 Interview I Denied at embassy (Marijuana detected blood test) Barred 3 years

Move to Jamaica March 2004

I-130 approved (November 2004)

Return to US to try again October 2005

04/07/2006 Interview II The Sequal Told case would be on hold until Jan 8th 2007

02/20/2007 Interview III Told another Physical requred

02/27/2007 3rd physical

03/23/2007 Police report expires

04/03/2007 Interview IV rescheduled due to police report being late

04/19/2007 Interview V They did not put her on the list

US Senators office had to call for them to see her

Finally approved

04/28/1007 Arrive Miami Held up in Immigration misses flight to Indy

Fly to Dallas, then Indy arrive 11pm instead of 3pm

05/10/2007 SS Card arrived

05/12/2007 Welcome to the US letter arrives

05/14/2007 10yr Green Card Arrives

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Timeline

Does anyone know why they can't get student loans? I mean they have to pay it back; it's not free. Does anyone know at what stage(visa) they would be able to apply for student loans? This girl I used to work with came from the Ukraine on a K-1 visa and received a degree before citizenship from our local state university. According to her account she received grants and financial aid :o . I wish I knew how to contact her now to find out how she did it. Dee had a good point about tuition reimbursement, I think you would have to go to an accredited school though.

One of our clients (we are a telemarketing company) offers student loans, and of course credit cards. These are only available to Permanent residents or US Citizens. It has never come up, but I assume a Conditional Permanent resident would also be eligible.

Yes Eric is right. You have to be a resident in order to qualify for financial aid.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
so if we waited for him to recieve his GC he could get aid? :unsure:

I'm not sure about the aid part, but credit in his own name yes.

01/21/2003 Married

I-130 filed August 2003

K-3 filed August 2003

K-3 Approved Dec 2003

01/07/2004 Interview I Denied at embassy (Marijuana detected blood test) Barred 3 years

Move to Jamaica March 2004

I-130 approved (November 2004)

Return to US to try again October 2005

04/07/2006 Interview II The Sequal Told case would be on hold until Jan 8th 2007

02/20/2007 Interview III Told another Physical requred

02/27/2007 3rd physical

03/23/2007 Police report expires

04/03/2007 Interview IV rescheduled due to police report being late

04/19/2007 Interview V They did not put her on the list

US Senators office had to call for them to see her

Finally approved

04/28/1007 Arrive Miami Held up in Immigration misses flight to Indy

Fly to Dallas, then Indy arrive 11pm instead of 3pm

05/10/2007 SS Card arrived

05/12/2007 Welcome to the US letter arrives

05/14/2007 10yr Green Card Arrives

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I read this in the Detroit newspaper today. It's from a couple who used to be island travel consultants (arranging trips to the Caribbean) and now they spend much of their free time in St. Lucia. I thought it was kinda interesting.

Nine Vacation-enhancing suggestions:

Leave Perfect at home:

The best way to ruin your vacation is to expect it to be perfect. Your attitude will determine how wonderful it turns out.

Expect to have an adventure:

Travel is an adventure and the unexpected often is the best part of a trip.

Get away from the capital:

In many countries, the capital is often the least representative area of the country. Our best experiences generally came in the countryside where the scenery is often dramatic and the people less hurried.

Give yourself an opportunity to meet the people:

Culturally different experiences often produce the best memories. When you get out and about you'll generally find the locals very friendly; they'll help you experience the uniqueness of their lives.

Eat out:The culinary experience is often most ordinary at the hotel. Take a chance and go out to local places, even if you paid for an all-inclusive. Meals at independent restaurants can be truly extraordinary and memorable.

Ask questions:

Sometimes you'll get pat answers but sometimes you'll get amazing information. People love to talk about their lives - let them share it with you. And they're usually proud of their country - encourage them to share its history.

Stay safe:

Don't pick up strangers or let yourself be picked up by strangers. You wouldn't do it at home, don't do it away. It's more difficult to assess people outside your home country, so when in doubt, don't.

Avoid places you wouldn't go at home:

For example, bars late on Saturday night, when drinking is heavy, are not a good idea. Expect a warm reception if you're buying drinks. But trouble may be just the next drink away.

Don't leave your brain at home:

That's what it comes down to - think about what you're doing and keep yourself safe.

Another tip they had was to "keep your sense of humor". "Some of those annoying and unpleasant things become precious stories when you get home".

This is great, really enjoyed this :luv:

Here is a question for today.....

How many copies of your Certified Marriage Certificate did you initially request?

I told Trevor to try to get 4, they only the minister 2.

1/1/05 We met

7/19/05 Trip back to Negril

8/28/05 Trip back to Negril, became engaged

12/31/05 WEDDING!!!!

1/22/06 Still patiently waiting for certified marriage certificate

1/28/06 Trevor finally receives cmc, now let's see how long it takes

to get to me

2/20/06 Received cmc, other problems begin

2/24/06 Sent away for divorce decree from previous marriage

2/25/06 Changed name on passport

2/25/06 Trevor kind of ticked I forgot about divorce decree

3/20/06 Sent off I-130

3/30/06 Received NOA1

4/19/06 Trip to Negril

5/8/06 I-129F Mailed

5/22/06 Received NOA1

7/3/06 Received IMBRA request

7/6/06 Sent off IMBRA request

7/6/06 Received email notice that I130 sent to CSC

7/10/06 I130 touched

7/13/06 129F touched

8/3/06 I129f and I130 APPROVED!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Everyone

I am working on my Affidavit of Support form , and need some help

Bank letter - My bank gave me the letter the form ask for minus informaition about amount deposited in the last year, they said they dont have that info, has anyone came across this and ran into a problem

I can get my last 3 years tax return info, but I dont have my W2'S for the past 2 years

Question 7 c - I have personal property at? For this quesition did you just estimate the amount of everything you own? And if you do, do you have to show some sort of appraisal for it?

Quesiton 11- That I ___ intend ___ do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of ther pseon named in item 3 (then they want exact contribution)

For this quesiton what did you guys put, because of course I am going to support him when he comes up, seeing he will have no job etc. but its not like I will be paying him allowance.

please give me some advice on this..I appreciate you guys help, it is priceless. :thumbs:

thanxs

2/1/2010- AOS , EAD. AP Mailed via USPS priority mail

2/3/2010- Received - via USPS delivery tracking

2/9/2010- Check Cashed

2/9/2010- NOA 1 Received for 131, 765, 485

2/17/2010- Received letter for biometrics

2/19/2010- Completed biometrics via early "walk in'

2/22/2010- Touched on I-765, 48

2/24/2010- Case transferred to CSC

4/2/2010 Card Production Ordered for I-765, AP touched (Yea!!)

4/8/10- Approval notice for I-765 sent via email/ AP touched

4/10/2010 Received AP.

4/12/10 Received EAD-

7/6/10 Contacted USCIS because now Outside normal processing time

7/23/10 Got RFE asking for proof of legitimate marriage- 1page and 1/4 of proofs

8/23/10 sent off RFE response via Expressmail

8/24/10 Received by CSC

9/2/10 Email from USCIS- Card Production Ordered

Timeline

Hey Kelly,

Are you going to JA in April, what date do you know yet?

Hey Dru,

I don't know if I'm definitely going or not. Soccer was the issue, but now it alllll depends on Craig. Our case "expires" on April 15th....and if he stays true to his word, he's working on the stuff that HE needs to get done to help finish up this part of it.

There is a travel agent trip to Negril on April 24th for 3 nights...it's $199.00 includes everything --hotel, airfare and all meals. I just need to work on who would watch my son.

I'm soooo flippin busy with the travel business and soccer and the part-time temp job has offered me a permanent part-time with VERY flexible (come and go) hours....that I just don't have enough time in the day to get everything done.

I haven't replied on this new site yet...I hope I did it right?!

Hey Everyone

I am working on my Affidavit of Support form , and need some help

Bank letter - My bank would not do this either. I made copies of my statements from the past year, highlighted all the deposits and ran a tape for the total. I included it in the packet that I turned over to them at the interview.....don't know if anyone ever looked at it -- it was never mentioned at the interview.

W2'S for the past 2 years -- I believe they really want to see them. If you can't get them I would call the IRS and request Tax Transcripts for those years -- it only takes about a week to receive them in the mail. That way you have proof that what you are saying you "filed" is the truth. I had my W-2's but also ordered the transcripts -- just in case.

Question 7 c - I have personal property at? Are you using assets as part of your support? I didn't because I made enough money on my own. Sorry, don't really know anything about this...

Quesiton 11- That I ___ intend ___ do not intend to make specific contributions to the support of ther pseon named in item 3 (then they want exact contribution) -- I can check this when I get home. I think I put something like I do intend -- then just put K-1 Fiance Visa on the line. But I will check when I get home.

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Timeline

Hi Kelly,

I'm not sure where the school is but I live near Mechanicsville. Which Sheraton are you staying at? The Marriott is very close to my house. I used to work next door to it.

Hi Ann,

We're staying at the Sheraton Park South--located:

9901 MIDLOTHIAN TURNPIKE

RICHMOND VA 23235

The Sheraton is about 25 min or so from the field, but it looks like a nice place and the price was right.

I don't know if I'm definitely going or not. Soccer was the issue, but now it alllll depends on Craig. Our case "expires" on April 15th....and if he stays true to his word, he's working on the stuff that HE needs to get done to help finish up this part of it.

Kelly -- April 15th is coming up pretty fast. Aren't you freaking out? I would be!! I don't want to get up in your personal business BUT :lol: -- when will you know if Craig is doing what he is suppose to do? What exactly do you have to file before your extension expires? Too much stress for me.....you are much stronger than I am!!!

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Eric...which credit company is it that will issue a card to a conditional perm. resident. we're having a hell of a time trying to get him a credit card...we've signed up for one of those semi-secured cards. we gave them $99 and they give him a $500 limit.

any info would be great.

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Thanks Min

actually I meant 7 c, it reads, I have personal property the reasonable value which is..?

I was wondering if that is like clothes, computer, car etc. Not sure what to put there

thanks

2/1/2010- AOS , EAD. AP Mailed via USPS priority mail

2/3/2010- Received - via USPS delivery tracking

2/9/2010- Check Cashed

2/9/2010- NOA 1 Received for 131, 765, 485

2/17/2010- Received letter for biometrics

2/19/2010- Completed biometrics via early "walk in'

2/22/2010- Touched on I-765, 48

2/24/2010- Case transferred to CSC

4/2/2010 Card Production Ordered for I-765, AP touched (Yea!!)

4/8/10- Approval notice for I-765 sent via email/ AP touched

4/10/2010 Received AP.

4/12/10 Received EAD-

7/6/10 Contacted USCIS because now Outside normal processing time

7/23/10 Got RFE asking for proof of legitimate marriage- 1page and 1/4 of proofs

8/23/10 sent off RFE response via Expressmail

8/24/10 Received by CSC

9/2/10 Email from USCIS- Card Production Ordered

Timeline
Thanks Min

actually I meant 7 c, it reads, I have personal property the reasonable value which is..?

I was wondering if that is like clothes, computer, car etc. Not sure what to put there

thanks

I don't think you have to put anything there. That is more for if you are trying to prove you meet the income requirement through assets, property, etc. If you make enough through income to meet the requirement than you are fine and don't need to worry about that part of the form. If I remember right we left that part blank as my income was sufficient.

Kelly -- April 15th is coming up pretty fast. Aren't you freaking out? I would be!! I don't want to get up in your personal business BUT :lol: -- when will you know if Craig is doing what he is suppose to do? What exactly do you have to file before your extension expires? Too much stress for me.....you are much stronger than I am!!!

Amen to that :thumbs: You are very strong. I couldn't go through that...just the 2 months trying to clear up the 221g was enough to kill me - it definitely tested our relationship...I can't imagine longer than that.

Timeline

Hey Mindy,

I'm not freakin out at all...just don't have time to be stressed about it. If we're meant to be, we will be...if not now, than definitely in the future. We both love each other very much and just know (and feel) we're meant to be together. As everyone knows, it is stressful and frustrating being so far away and not being able to hold their hands (literally) through this process. Craig is *supposed* to get the forms from I think it was packet 3 filled out, get a passport and get the Police Certificate and now that darn marriage certificate. I said to him last night that he needs to work quickly (US time, not JA time) !! to get that stuff done and if he wants this, us and our relationship as much as I do, than "he" HAS to do the next step....quickly. At this point, it's not up to me...cause I can't do the running around, so we shall see if he gets his rear in gear !!

If he doesn't, most likely no spring break trip for me and my son, I'll go on that travel agent trip and then we'll (me and my son) will go to the Dominican Republic in May or June. No sweat.

Plus you know....all of the BS I have to deal with from family.....that's another whole ball of ...argh to deal with !

Kelly

Filed: Timeline

good luck Kelly! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.