happyzac

Best, economic way to have someone check the mails while filing N400

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I filed I751 to remove the condition by myself last year and am waiting for the case to be approved. I will be eligible to file N-400 for citizenship in a few months. I am familiar with all the rules and requirements and my case should be straightforward except that I will be out of the country during the filing due to work. All I need is to know when the fingerprint appointment is and when the interview is. I do not have anyone else to come check my mailbox while I am oversea but hiring a lawyer seems to be expensive for this purpose. Does anyone has a good/practical suggestion for this situation? How much should I spend for the service?

Edited by jrey

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Have you looked into the mail forwarding service offered by the postal service? Perhaps you can have the mail forwarded to someone you trust in the states

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward-mail.htm

AOS Timeline (From H1-B)

09/27/2008 Sent AOS package (I-130/I-485)

09/28/2008 USPS delivered package

10/03/2008 NOA I-130, I-485

10/14/2008 Received Biometrics letter

10/16/2008 *TOUCH* I-130

10/17/2008 *TOUCH* I-130... The suspense!

10/25/2008 Biometrics appointment.. easy peasy!

10/27/2008 *TOUCH* I-485

12/29/2008 Interview Notice Date

03/02/2009 AOS interview.. Approved!

03/06/2009 Welcome letter received today! (Letter is postmarked March 4th)

01/05/2011 Applied for removal of conditions (I-751)

01/07/2011 USPS delivered package

05/19/2011 I-751 approved

10/15/2012 Applied for Naturalization (N-400)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

There are also premium services that for a monthly fee will forward or open and scan your mail.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

who else lives at that address? do you trust that person, or no?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

You could also just wait until you are back in the country. There is nothing saying that you must file on the soonest date possible.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Timeline

Best, economic way to have someone check the mails while filing N400

OK - I'll bite.

Give free rent to a cousin.

Cousin checks postal mail daily.

Cousin opens all postal mail.

Cousin emails you when something important arrives, a scan of the page.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Have you looked into the mail forwarding service offered by the postal service? Perhaps you can have the mail forwarded to someone you trust in the states

https://www.usps.com...orward-mail.htm

USPS will not forward government mail. If you have a friend in town, ask him to swing by your home once a week to check the mail. Also, sign up for online case status updates so as to know when to approximately expect notices to arrive.

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Or .. as I said.. wait until you come back.

There may be another option ... does the form allow for a different mailing address? Could you use your work address as a mailing address and then have someone at work (your boss, your secretary) receive the mail for you?

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Timeline

well, yer waiting on postal notifications from USCIS.

Here's the rub - if you put in a usps forwarding order - the mail from uscis is sent back to uscis, as there's a clear written statement on the outside - Postmaster - DO NOT FORWARD.

If you were going to be out of the USA for 3 months, for example, I suggest, instead, putting in a POSTAL HOLD ORDER and then signing up for the online portal over at https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/CaseStatus.do . Of course, without receipt numbers, yer hosed. With receipt numbers, you'll know status and dates.

I would not recommend relying on email/text updates. Some people have signed up for them and not received anything.

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would not recommend relying on email/text updates. Some people have signed up for them and not received anything.

It's better than absolutely nothing biggrin.gif

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Timeline

I filed I751 to remove the condition by myself last year and am waiting for the case to be approved. I will be eligible to file N-400 for citizenship in a few months. I am familiar with all the rules and requirements and my case should be straightforward except that I will be out of the country during the filing due to work. All I need is to know when the fingerprint appointment is and when the interview is. I do not have anyone else to come check my mailbox while I am oversea but hiring a lawyer seems to be expensive for this purpose. Does anyone has a good/practical suggestion for this situation? How much should I spend for the service?

There's no deadline of how late you can file for N400. There's only a rule of 30 days before your third year of having your GC (or give if not through marriage). You can file when you get back, nothing will happen to you in the meantime, you'll just be a GC holder like you were before...and you'll sleep the same way if you filed for N400 or of you did not. The sun will go down and up the same way regardless of your citizenship status. So, the safest if you filed whenever you get back to the country. Nothing going to hurt you doing so...indeed, is the safest if you step out of the country and no on can check your mail....think about it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.