CaroSL

Problem with my employment history

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello all,

I am filling the papers to send back to the embassy and I have a problem with my employment history (EDIT: I am the alien fiancée):

During my time stuck in France, I decided to help out a friend who was creating a company. I just gave a hand really. I had no contract, and no salary, haven't been paid anything so that was not illegal. I was just happily giving some of my time, making some phone calls and sharing my insights to help out a friend and keep myself busy.

I put this on my linkedin profile though cause it is some professional experience, and even though it was short, I learnt some things that I will now be able to use in a job.

My problem is, should I put it on my employment hitory in the DS-230? In my opinion, it was NOT legally a job, so it has no place in official papers. But if they check my linkedIn profile they (rightly) find it confusing.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance

Edited by CaroSL

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hello all,

I am filling the papers to send back to the embassy and I have a problem with my employment history (EDIT: I am the alien fiancée):

During my time stuck in France, I decided to help out a friend who was creating a company. I just gave a hand really. I had no contract, and no salary, haven't been paid anything so that was not illegal. I was just happily giving some of my time, making some phone calls and sharing my insights to help out a friend and keep myself busy.

I put this on my linkedin profile though cause it is some professional experience, and even though it was short, I learnt some things that I will now be able to use in a job.

My problem is, should I put it on my employment hitory in the DS-230? In my opinion, it was NOT legally a job, so it has no place in official papers. But if they check my linkedIn profile they (rightly) find it confusing.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance

If you were not legally employed you need not disclose that period of activity in your DS-230. However, if you want to be thorough you can book that time as 'volunteer work' provided the friend whom you helped can vouch for your activities. If you are questioned as to why you entered it in your DS-230 you can state that since it is in your Linkein profile you felt it should be in the form, lest it be seen as a possible misrepresentation.

The USCIS will not disclose that information to their French counterpart so your should not need worry about it being perceived as illegal work.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

If you were not legally employed you need not disclose that period of activity in your DS-230. However, if you want to be thorough you can book that time as 'volunteer work' provided the friend whom you helped can vouch for your activities. If you are questioned as to why you entered it in your DS-230 you can state that since it is in your Linkein profile you felt it should be in the form, lest it be seen as a possible misrepresentation.

ok, thank you. I think I will do this, seems a very good advice.

The USCIS will not disclose that information to their French counterpart so your should not need worry about it being perceived as illegal work.

I don't think I should fear anything from french administration anyway, it would be quite easy to prove it wasn't illegal work if needed.

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.