Dave Moseley

Birth Certificates

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My American fiancee was born in Germany on an American Air Force base, and was flown over to America within the first six weeks. Because of this, she has three different kinds of birth certificate: one from Germany from a consular office which lists her mother's place of birth as America (includes the phrase "Report of birth abroad of citizen of the United States of America" and a presidential seal); one which includes all of her mother and father's information and was probably just what was needed to get the first certificate; and the third is a "Commonwealth of Virginia Certificate of Foreign Birth Department Of Health Division of Vital Records and Health Statistics" which was completed two years after her birth. All three include her birth date, but only the second mentions her birth hour.

Which of these would we need to copy to include in our I-129F package? Also are photocopies accepted or do we need to request an 'official' copy from an office?

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

i, a U.S. citizen petitioning for my fiancee, did not include a birth certificate because i do not have one. i was born in south korea.

i included my U.S. passport (to show that i've traveled to korea to meet my fiancee) and my U.S. naturalization certificate as verification of my birthday. both show my date of birth (U.S. verifies this during the naturalization process).

either are valid and acceptable forms to verify a U.S. citizen's date of birth.

Edited by P A U L

Filed: Timeline

My American fiancee was born in Germany on an American Air Force base, and was flown over to America within the first six weeks. Because of this, she has three different kinds of birth certificate: one from Germany from a consular office which lists her mother's place of birth as America (includes the phrase "Report of birth abroad of citizen of the United States of America" and a presidential seal); one which includes all of her mother and father's information and was probably just what was needed to get the first certificate; and the third is a "Commonwealth of Virginia Certificate of Foreign Birth Department Of Health Division of Vital Records and Health Statistics" which was completed two years after her birth. All three include her birth date, but only the second mentions her birth hour.

Which of these would we need to copy to include in our I-129F package? Also are photocopies accepted or do we need to request an 'official' copy from an office?

Thanks!

All three documents are acceptable proof of birth/US citizenship. You can send a copy of the CRBA(since it's the oldest existing proof of birth). Either is acceptable though.

At the petition stage, send only photocopies of original documents. Unless you're asked to submit originals, usually through a formal written request by USCIS.

Goodluck on your visa journey!

Edited by Boggy1974

Iron Sharpen Iron!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.