Mike & Vi

Affidavit of Support using Co-sponsor

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello all,

I don't have tax records or steady employment for the last few years. I have been traveling and working odd jobs, and am going to rely on a co-sponsor to fill out the Affidavit of Support I-864.

My question is, if my co-sponsor is providing all of the paperwork (tax returns, letter on company letterhead, tax transcripts, etc), do I still have to provide that paperwork? Or does it become unnecessary for me to do so? Will it be a problem that I don't have tax or employment history for the last few years?

Sincere Thanks,

Mike

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes you still need to fill it all in. If you made so little money that you were not required to file taxes with the IRS, you need to write a short letter stating so, and sign with original signature. If you should have filed, simply back file for the last three years.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all,

I don't have tax records or steady employment for the last few years. I have been traveling and working odd jobs, and am going to rely on a co-sponsor to fill out the Affidavit of Support I-864.

My question is, if my co-sponsor is providing all of the paperwork (tax returns, letter on company letterhead, tax transcripts, etc), do I still have to provide that paperwork? Or does it become unnecessary for me to do so? Will it be a problem that I don't have tax or employment history for the last few years?

Sincere Thanks,

Mike

If you are the sponsor, then yes, you have to fill out an AOS too as the petitioner. Your application is incomplete without you filling one out. Your co-sponsor will fill out a separate AOS as the joint sponsor.

Even if you haven't been working, you are still required to file income tax returns. I don't know your specific situation, but because I was living abroad, I didn't bother, but to immigrate back to the US you must backfile at least 3 years. So that's what I did, putting mostly zeros in all the blanks (because of my Foreign Income Exclusion, but that also meant filling in a different form too). It shouldn't take you too long to backfile, but it is required for this.

18-09-2004 Married
07-01-2013 Posted I-130, etc to London (DCF)
08-01-2013 Petition signed for at Embassy London (DCF)
10-01-2013 Petition Recieved and Filed
11-01-2013 Notice of Receipt of Petition by Email
04-02-2013 NOA-1 Receipt
19-02-2013 NOA-2 Receipt (dated 14-02-13)

05-03-2013 PCC Received by ACRO

18-03-2013 PCC Delivered

18-04-2013 Medical Examination

28-05-2013 Interview - APPROVED!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.