shashonie

Complicated questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am a US citizen and my fiance is a Canadian citizen. We are trying to plan our travel plans for this summer. I would like to spend time in Canada, and he would like to visit me a little in the States. Is it possible to have approval for our K1 visa, get married in the States (if possible, and start the paperwork for the permanent residency), and then go back to Canada for the summer vacation? We also would like to know if he has to wait until we marry to start the work visa for working in the States or can he start the application as soon as he gets approval for his K1 visa?

I know this sounds complicated, but any help is appreciated. After our vacation this coming summer, my fiance will be moving with me to the States and will be staying there and working for years to come.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello,

I am a US citizen and my fiance is a Canadian citizen. We are trying to plan our travel plans for this summer. I would like to spend time in Canada, and he would like to visit me a little in the States. Is it possible to have approval for our K1 visa, get married in the States (if possible, and start the paperwork for the permanent residency), and then go back to Canada for the summer vacation? We also would like to know if he has to wait until we marry to start the work visa for working in the States or can he start the application as soon as he gets approval for his K1 visa?

I know this sounds complicated, but any help is appreciated. After our vacation this coming summer, my fiance will be moving with me to the States and will be staying there and working for years to come.

Thanks!

No, it's too late. If you filed today, it would take about 5-7-9 months to get the interview, then he comes here, you get married and then file AOS. Once he gets the AP or the GC, then he can travel back to Canada and then return. Once he gets the EAD or GC, then he can legally work.

If there if a K-1 visa petition on file, I doubt they would approve a work visa. You can always visit him but he may not be able to cross the border to visit you once there is a K-1 petition on file. Maybe yes and Maybe no.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

If you are seriously interested in needlessly complicating your lives, you could try to do what you are planning. I would suggest that you take the opportunity to check out the "Guides" tab at the top of the forum page. In there, you will find all kinds of great information, including a visa comparison guide and estimated timeframes. Look at the K-1 fiancee and the IR-1/CR-1 spousal visa programs. The K-3 is obsolete, and not used anymore. To keep things simple in your lives, consider the spousal visa programs.

Remember that whichever way you choose, you will be dealing with huge government bureaucracies, on their turf, according to their rules and schedules, and they have no regard for your plans. There are far too many potential obstacles and impediments in the visa process for you to be able to accurately schedule or plan your lives. That is the reality of it. However, the end results are certainly worth the effort.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Happy New Year!

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

If you are seriously interested in needlessly complicating your lives, you could try to do what you are planning. I would suggest that you take the opportunity to check out the "Guides" tab at the top of the forum page. In there, you will find all kinds of great information, including a visa comparison guide and estimated timeframes. Look at the K-1 fiancee and the IR-1/CR-1 spousal visa programs. The K-3 is obsolete, and not used anymore. To keep things simple in your lives, consider the spousal visa programs.

Remember that whichever way you choose, you will be dealing with huge government bureaucracies, on their turf, according to their rules and schedules, and they have no regard for your plans. There are far too many potential obstacles and impediments in the visa process for you to be able to accurately schedule or plan your lives. That is the reality of it. However, the end results are certainlyg to worth the effort.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Happy New Year!

Okay then. First, not trying to complicate our lives, just looking at all options. We will do what is best with the information we get. I have now looked at the guides, mountains of forms, and instrutcions before returning to this post and we know exactly what to do. The condescending answers were not especially helpful.

Timeline

Okay then. First, not trying to complicate our lives, just looking at all options. We will do what is best with the information we get. I have now looked at the guides, mountains of forms, and instrutcions before returning to this post and we know exactly what to do. The condescending answers were not especially helpful.

Sorry if some of my opinions came off as condescending, that was not my intent. :wow:

Glad that you read up, lighten up, :thumbs:

and have a Happy New Year! :yes:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Maybe some research on the OP's part would help them understand the process by reviwing the Guides and forms on VJ and the substantial information on USCIS. Do yourself a favor and educate yourselves to avoid some of the pitfalls down the road. Good Luck with your process.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.