B & D

Wedding Ceremony in Foreign Country, Marriage in USA

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked before, but after searching the forums I am still confused without a clear answer. My fiance and I are applying for the K-1. But we are unsure if her family will be able to attend the wedding in the US. We are wondering if we can have a wedding ceremony in the foreign country, WITHOUT having a legal marriage certificate in the foreign country. Only a small wedding ceremony for the family. Then entering the US on the K-1 and having a legal marriage certificate in the US. As I said, we want to be married in the US, but we are considering having a wedding ceremony in the foreign country for her family.

Is this ok? Or are we endangering our process? Also, could photos of the ceremony be a problem? If guests were to post photos on facebook?

Thanks

September 2009: Met in the US

November 2011: Started dating
December 2011: He came to Brazil - 1st time
August 18, 2012: Got Engaged
January 09, 2013: Sent I129F Petition.
January 18, 2013: Received NOA1.
June 03, 2013: Received NOA2
June 24, 2013: Case Number from NVC
August 27, 2013: Interview Date
September 4, 2013: Visa in hand! =)
September 30, 2013: The glorious arrival into the US!

October 5, 2013: Married

October 26, 2013: File Adjustment of Status

November 24, 2013: Wedding Day!

January 3, 2014: Received EAD w/Travel Permit

May 5, 2014: Green Card approved and mailed

March 9, 2016: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No, anything that looks like a wedding IS a wedding in the eyes of the consulate with or without a legal marriage certificate. Why chance it, seriously? If you want to get married, do it, and file for a CR-1. Why do people continuously ask this question then try to argue the point" but it wasn't registered." If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it is a duck.

Hello everyone,

I know this question has been asked before, but after searching the forums I am still confused without a clear answer. My fiance and I are applying for the K-1. But we are unsure if her family will be able to attend the wedding in the US. We are wondering if we can have a wedding ceremony in the foreign country, WITHOUT having a legal marriage certificate in the foreign country. Only a small wedding ceremony for the family. Then entering the US on the K-1 and having a legal marriage certificate in the US. As I said, we want to be married in the US, but we are considering having a wedding ceremony in the foreign country for her family.

Is this ok? Or are we endangering our process? Also, could photos of the ceremony be a problem? If guests were to post photos on facebook?

Thanks

I'd be curious to know the answer to this as well. I have heard it could be country specific as to make sure you do nothing during the ceremony that can be considered an offical wedding.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No, anything that looks like a wedding IS a wedding in the eyes of the consulate with or without a legal marriage certificate. Why chance it, seriously? If you want to get married, do it, and file for a CR-1. Why do people continuously ask this question then try to argue the point" but it wasn't registered." If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it is a duck.

Attempt at self-affirmation??? :unsure:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Really?.....How relevant is it to ask " why do people", when this is one person asking the question? OP plainly states they want to MARRY in the US. But you advise them to just go ahead and get married and file in foreign country. Therefore, starting the whole process over. I have many friends/acquaintances who have in fact done this, without any issue (religious ceremonies without an actual legal wedding), in the foreign country. Clearly, those photos should NEVER be submitted as evidence to the Embassy or USCIS, because it will "look" like a wedding. Even better advice, would have been that cameras not be allowed at this "ceremony". There is nothing illegal, in having one, when it isn't legally binding. And if consulate was to ask specifically "Are you married", then they would not be lying when their reply was NO.

And with your comment " If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it is a duck". Well, I'll remain silent on my exact thoughts of you, on this. But must say that I agree completely, in regards to yourself. Merry Christmas! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Is this ok? Or are we endangering our process?

Yep, potentially big time.

Also, could photos of the ceremony be a problem?

Yes, big time. Why chance it? Get married there and then file for a CR-1 visa instead, if having this family participation if such a big deal. More below.

If guests were to post photos on facebook?

The Embassy folks know about Facebook and could look there. Bad move.

International dating and relationships and immigration to the US requires the entire family to understand that things are not normal. You must conform to the requirements, regardless of others wants and desires. If the family can not understand this then you have to rethink your visa process.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

USA rules apply, have an engagement party or really get married and apply as married (easier in the long run in my opinion), but it depends on individual circumstances.

Attempt at self-affirmation??? :unsure:

:thumbs:?

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Have an engagement ceremony . I do not know Brazilian culture but in my now wifes country we had a beautiful ceremony that looked very much like a wedding minus any official marriage documents . I say go for it if it's a part of yours or hers customs.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

So it sounds like a pretty strong No to the wedding in Brazil, even without the marriage certificate. But we could at least have a ceremony of blessing, or an engagement party.

Thank you for your answers. Even the rude ones. :)

September 2009: Met in the US

November 2011: Started dating
December 2011: He came to Brazil - 1st time
August 18, 2012: Got Engaged
January 09, 2013: Sent I129F Petition.
January 18, 2013: Received NOA1.
June 03, 2013: Received NOA2
June 24, 2013: Case Number from NVC
August 27, 2013: Interview Date
September 4, 2013: Visa in hand! =)
September 30, 2013: The glorious arrival into the US!

October 5, 2013: Married

October 26, 2013: File Adjustment of Status

November 24, 2013: Wedding Day!

January 3, 2014: Received EAD w/Travel Permit

May 5, 2014: Green Card approved and mailed

March 9, 2016: Filed I-751 Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello everyone,

Thanks

You must have the wedding in the US for the K-1. You CAN have a party or banquet or whatever but don't call it a wedding. Photos that simulate a wedding are foolhardy.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.