ike.east

Effect of past divorce on n400

28 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have an interesting question. I am about to file for citizenship (based on being permanent resident longer than 5 years). I’ve entered US on K1 visa, got married, got my two year card and shortly after filing for ROC due to circumstances (my wife’s affair) we got separated. Marriage was entered in a good faith and responsibility for divorce was taken by my ex-wife (US citizen). I do have all paperwork to prove affair etc. 10 year card was received couple months before we got officially divorced. USCIS was not informed about separation and it was pointless to let them know about the divorce after card was received. This was not done in attempt to hide something from the government, but because my ex-wife moved to the other side of the country and refused to come down for a court hearing. And as far as I can remember I was not able to file for a waiver not until we were officially divorced. At this point I am remarried to a different woman and have no idea where my ex-wife is. So my question is: what are the potential problems I am facing with USCIS caused by my divorce if I am applying on the basis of being in the US longer than 5 years

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I have an interesting question. I am about to file for citizenship (based on being permanent resident longer than 5 years). I’ve entered US on K1 visa, got married, got my two year card and shortly after filing for ROC due to circumstances (my wife’s affair) we got separated. Marriage was entered in a good faith and responsibility for divorce was taken by my ex-wife (US citizen). I do have all paperwork to prove affair etc. 10 year card was received couple months before we got officially divorced. USCIS was not informed about separation and it was pointless to let them know about the divorce after card was received. This was not done in attempt to hide something from the government, but because my ex-wife moved to the other side of the country and refused to come down for a court hearing. And as far as I can remember I was not able to file for a waiver not until we were officially divorced. At this point I am remarried to a different woman and have no idea where my ex-wife is. So my question is: what are the potential problems I am facing with USCIS caused by my divorce if I am applying on the basis of being in the US longer than 5 years

you are not going to have any problems as you are applying for the citizenship on the basis of being a LPR for 5 or more years.chill

Hello,

I have an interesting question. I am about to file for citizenship (based on being permanent resident longer than 5 years). I've entered US on K1 visa, got married, got my two year card and shortly after filing for ROC due to circumstances (my wife's affair) we got separated. Marriage was entered in a good faith and responsibility for divorce was taken by my ex-wife (US citizen). I do have all paperwork to prove affair etc. 10 year card was received couple months before we got officially divorced. USCIS was not informed about separation and it was pointless to let them know about the divorce after card was received. This was not done in attempt to hide something from the government, but because my ex-wife moved to the other side of the country and refused to come down for a court hearing. And as far as I can remember I was not able to file for a waiver not until we were officially divorced. At this point I am remarried to a different woman and have no idea where my ex-wife is. So my question is: what are the potential problems I am facing with USCIS caused by my divorce if I am applying on the basis of being in the US longer than 5 years

None. You completed the ROC and received the 10 year GC and then got a divorce. Sounds like everything was done correctly. Relax. Go pour yourself an adult beverage and enjoy the holidays.

Good luck,

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Dave&Roza. I'm on a similar situation as you are.

I have a question. The first time I got my LPR was back on 05/05/05/ Then I got the the 10yr GC on 08/20/09

So is this means I can apply for citizenship? Its been 7 years, 6 months from my first GC. :unsure:

Citizenship process

12/15/2012: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

12/26/2012: NOA received

01/14/2013: Biometrics Appointment

10/18/2013: Placed in line for the interview

02/16/2013: Yellow letter received

02/19/2013: Interview letter received

03/20/2013: Interview/test

03/20/2013: Passed!!!!!

03/25/2013: Placed in the oath scheduling que (time to wait for the oath ceremony date)

04/05/2013: Oath ceremony schedule and notice its on its way!!!!

04/10/2013: Received oath ceremony letter

04/24/2013: Oath ceremony at 7:00 am!!

06/27/2013: Got married

11/14/2013: AOS package sent

11/18/2013: Package received

11/20/2013: USCIS email notification

12/16/2013: Biometrics appointment

01/15/2014: Got appointment letter

02/18/2014: Passed the interview

02/18/2014: Case approved!!!

02/22/2014: Got welcome letter

02/24/2014: Green card was mailed (time to wait)

01/21/2016: Petition to remove conditions sent

02/04/2016: CR-89 received, fingerprint appointment scheduled

08/02/2016: Status updated: "New card is being produced"

08/04/2016: Status updated: "We mailed your new card"

08/08/2016: Received new card, yayyyyy!!!

Dave&Roza. I'm on a similar situation as you are.

I have a question. The first time I got my LPR was back on 05/05/05/ Then I got the the 10yr GC on 08/20/09

So is this means I can apply for citizenship? Its been 7 years, 6 months from my first GC. :unsure:

You qualify based on 5 years as a LPR as long as you also meet the residency requirements listed here.

Good luck,

Dave

Hello friends…. So here is my second question… (see recap of my first questionbelow)

Original post:

I have an interesting question. I am about to file for citizenship (based on being permanent resident longer than 5 years). Ive entered US on K1 visa, got married, got my two year card and shortly after filing for ROC due to circumstances (my wifes affair) we got separated. Marriage was entered in a good faith and responsibility for divorce was taken by my ex-wife (US citizen). I do have all paperwork to prove affair etc. 10 year card was received couple months before we got officially divorced. USCIS was not informed about separation and it was pointless to let them know about the divorce after card was received. This was not done in attempt to hide something from the government, but because my ex-wife moved to the other side of the country and refused to come down for a court hearing. And as far as I can remember I was not able to file for a waiver not until we were officially divorced. At this point I am remarried to a different woman and have no idea where my ex-wife is. So my question is: what are the potential problems I am facing with USCIS caused by my divorce if I am applying on the basis of being in the US longer than 5 years

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my second question is do I need to file all of the paperwork that shows the prove of the affair, that consequently caused the divorce. I have signed and notarized affidavits of friends who witnessed things, statement from the counseling group was helping us to put the marriage together and actually a affidavit of my ex-wife stating that she does not want to be married and does not hold me liable for failure of the marriage. Do I need to even send this in? I always thought the more you provide, the better you off. But somehow I am not sure that in this case it might be a good idea.

Edited by ike.east

Do not send in too many documents about your first marriage. Just send in the divorce decree which is required.

Take all other documentation with you to the interview just in case the officer asks for them. You should be fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
At this point I am remarried to a different woman and have no idea where my ex-wife is.

So who is this other woman? A US citizen or someone from your home country? Former would not be a problem, latter suggests fraud, and will be questioned on this. Remaining single would not be a problem either.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello friends…. So here is my second question… (see recap of my first questionbelow)

Original post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my second question is – do I need to file all of the paperwork that shows the prove of the affair, that consequently caused the divorce. I have signed and notarized affidavits of friends who witnessed things, statement from the counseling group was helping us to put the marriage together and actually a affidavit of my ex-wife stating that she does not want to be married and does not hold me liable for failure of the marriage. Do I need to even send this in? I always thought the more you provide, the better you off. But somehow I am not sure that in this case it might be a good idea.

your divorce and circumstances have no bearing on your becoming a citizen. All that is required from you is a copy of the divorce decree. You will be fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

your divorce and circumstances have no bearing on your becoming a citizen. All that is required from you is a copy of the divorce decree. You will be fine.

If he is applying based on five years why does he need to supply his actual divorce decree ? All he needs to supply is his green card, two photos and the money. There is a place on the application to disclose all marriages and divorces but I have not seen any indication that it is expected that you supply that physical documentation in the five year process. Can anyone who has been divorced and been through the five year process say for sure ?

Thanks

If he is applying based on five years why does he need to supply his actual divorce decree ? All he needs to supply is his green card, two photos and the money. There is a place on the application to disclose all marriages and divorces but I have not seen any indication that it is expected that you supply that physical documentation in the five year process. Can anyone who has been divorced and been through the five year process say for sure ?

Thanks

I submitted my application under the 5-year rule in November and you are REQUIRED to submit a copy of your divorce decree (if you've been divorced, of course). Note .. I said A COPY. Do not submit originals of anything except the N-400.

Edited by mozplay

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I submitted my application under the 5-year rule in November and you are REQUIRED to submit a copy of your divorce decree (if you've been divorced, of course). Note .. I said A COPY. Do not submit originals of anything except the N-400.

Ooops sorry we're taking apples and oranges sorry. You are divorced from the the USC you got your original green card with, we are still married (I am taking about prior divorce/s.) They only need to be documented in writing unless you are going the three year/marriage route.

Ooops sorry we're taking apples and oranges sorry. You are divorced from the the USC you got your original green card with, we are still married (I am taking about prior divorce/s.) They only need to be documented in writing unless you are going the three year/marriage route.

No. I'm still married to the USC. I'm divorced from a Canadian, actually. I still had to provide a copy of the final dissolution.

You can see where it asks for the document here ... on the Document Checklist. Look down towards the bottom of page one.

It says:

"If you were married before, send:

- Proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), death certificate(s)."

Even though this comes directly after the section containing information specific to the 3-year filing option, it is not a part of that section. It stands on its own.

Edited by mozplay

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.