India 2012

Birth Certificate after 1989

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello my dear friends :innocent: , I would to know if there's a rule for anyone born before 1989 in India, for a certified copy of a birth certificate. My Fiance' does not have a copy, but he has a school certificate, and passport with his birthday. My case is on it's way to New Delhi, and I am getting nervous. Please assist if possible. I would like to thank you in advance for reading my post.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Do his school sheets and passport match on dates? Is his mother still living? She can provide a sworn statement/affidavit. Or, he can ask around his city's offices [which is a hassle and can cost $$$ but it would solve the issue]. Which city is he in?

Timeline

Do his school sheets and passport match on dates? Is his mother still living? She can provide a sworn statement/affidavit. Or, he can ask around his city's offices [which is a hassle and can cost $$$ but it would solve the issue]. Which city is he in?

Timeline

Hello, and thank you for your assistance. He is in Punjab. His school record and passport matches. He can he get a sworn affidavit? I asked him about a notary in India, but I dont think he does.His mother is still living. she does not speak english. i wanted to know if someone can write the letter for her? I am so nervous. :help:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from US Embassy & Consulate Discussion to India regional forum; topic is a country specific issue.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If I remember correctly it was in 1970 that the Indian Government made it mandatory for the registration of Births and Death's.

If your fiancée was born prior to 1970 then you need to have two persons older then you fiancées mother provide sworn affidavits on stamped paper saying that he was born on date and his parents are (their names).

If he was born after 1970 I am not sure if the Consulate will accept affidavits as there should be a record of his birth at the local municipality. The affidavits might be acceptable if you can provide a document from the municipality of his birth that they can not find a record of his birth.

Just not sure of the 1970 date, just check into that.

Edited by Sam and Fen

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Interview date:10/20/09...We are Pink!

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Stateside Feb 3rd. 2010. POE: JFK

Married Feb 20th, 2010

===================================

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

Biometrics 5/7/10 (Appointment Letter Recvd 4/27/10)

I485 transferred to CSC 4/30/10

Email received, AP and EAD approved 6/17/10.

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

Email, Card production ordered 8/16/10.

GC in Hand 8/27/10

=========================================

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
Birth Certificates

Available. Prior to l970, the reporting of births was voluntary. Birth certificates of Europeans, Anglo-Indians, Armenian Christians, Jews and Parsis born prior to l970 may be obtained from the State Registrar General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. No standard or uniform certificate is issued by the authorities. In addition, acceptable certificates may often be obtained from the municipal and rural registration records, which are maintained under the state laws. Europeans, Anglo-Indians, and Indian Christians are usually able to obtain church baptismal certificates.

Under the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of l969, births are required to be registered in almost all of the States and Union Territories of India. Birth certificates are available to any applicant born on or after April l, l970, upon payment of a nominal fee to the appropriate authority.

In cases where birth certificates from the authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, a sworn affidavit executed by either the parents, if living, or other close relatives older than the applicant, may be submitted. It should set forth the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts. Such an affidavit, when a birth certificate is unavailable, should be accompanied by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the certificate does not exist, or no longer exists.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_5455.html?cid=9215

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

If I remember correctly it was in 1970 that the Indian Government made it mandatory for the registration of Births and Death's.

If your fiancée was born prior to 1970 then you need to have two persons older then you fiancées mother provide sworn affidavits on stamped paper saying that he was born on date and his parents are (their names).

If he was born after 1970 I am not sure if the Consulate will accept affidavits as there should be a record of his birth at the local municipality. The affidavits might be acceptable if you can provide a document from the municipality of his birth that they can not find a record of his birth.

Just not sure of the 1970 date, just check into that.

Thank you so much! :thumbs:

Thank you very much! :thumbs:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Many, many people rely on the sworn affidavits as what maybe provided from a local office can look sketchy - in some places handwritten information on onion skin paper is the "official report". Perhaps, there may be a rubber-stamping on the corner. It can look like something someone bought in a back-alley.

In many instances, school records are relied on as the most-official thing you have besides a passport. Things like voter ids or voter records, PAN cards, ration cards, etc are completely a waste for trying to establish date of birth or even residence - typos, inaccurate information, etc is almost never fixed as it involves in many cases more bribes and more time.

To have school records and the passport match, an official record from a local office [if available because you can literally spend years trying to get one as well as any and all money you have], but most importantly, the sworn affidavit from [typically] the mother is usually accepted at the consulate with no issue.

To the OP - your fiance really should have a clue on getting the sworn affidavit. There is specialized paper with a rupee amount graphically applied to the back. If the mother doesn't speak english, there should be a comment made at the end of the statement by the person who translated her statement.

Timeline

Many, many people rely on the sworn affidavits as what maybe provided from a local office can look sketchy - in some places handwritten information on onion skin paper is the "official report". Perhaps, there may be a rubber-stamping on the corner. It can look like something someone bought in a back-alley.

In many instances, school records are relied on as the most-official thing you have besides a passport. Things like voter ids or voter records, PAN cards, ration cards, etc are completely a waste for trying to establish date of birth or even residence - typos, inaccurate information, etc is almost never fixed as it involves in many cases more bribes and more time.

To have school records and the passport match, an official record from a local office [if available because you can literally spend years trying to get one as well as any and all money you have], but most importantly, the sworn affidavit from [typically] the mother is usually accepted at the consulate with no issue.

To the OP - your fiance really should have a clue on getting the sworn affidavit. There is specialized paper with a rupee amount graphically applied to the back. If the mother doesn't speak english, there should be a comment made at the end of the statement by the person who translated her statement.

(F) Thank you (L)

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I agree with catknit for the information.... providing the affidavits from mother.

I have my personal case, where he was told at interview to go back and register the birth with local registrar and get certificate of Birth.

Embassy know about this rule that if birth is after 1970... any one can register their birth if not registered at the birth and can get official birth certificate.

Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You did not mention your fiancé’s year of birth but I am guessing coz this is how it is for most ppl in India.

When they are born a birth certificate is issued, when they join the school they take the birth certificate and would either issue a school leaving certificate or SSC marksheet, but school would never return the birth certificate.

When joining the college – college would take the ssc marksheet and same way issue a marksheet when passing the college and for all purpose in India those marksheet work as proof of DOB.

Your fiancé can approach the local municipal office and they can issue a duplicate also the sworn affidavit version works too.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.