Amanda & Simo

Minor Information! Stressseeeedddd

79 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Just wait until you're 18 to get married in Spain (as long as Spain allows you) since it's less than two months away. It just makes everything easier. If both the OP and the fiance are legal residents of Spain, I don't see why couldn't get married and do a DCF through the US embassy in Spain? OP, go look at the Guides and look at "Direct Consular Filing." It's generally much faster if you meet the requirements. You're also right: a co-sponsor who is in the USA would probably be required in your situation since it's unlikely that you'd be able to meet the requirements on your own.

Just make sure you're completely sure and completely trust each other before you get married. You need to sit down together and hammer out exactly what you both want out of life: careers, children, religion, life views, etc etc. 18 is pretty young, but it works for some people.

I'd like to thank you again... Your information was unbelievably helpful!!!! We will all have the affidavit of support established with the intent to reestablish domicile. THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH!!!!!!! Of course, I'll keep reading and see which route is better, but this gives me slightly more hope!

:whistle: I was thinking Washington State University, didn't realize Washington University was in St Louis. Thanks for clarifying the situation. Do you have the information you need for now? Edited by Rob & Monika

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

Timeline

:whistle: I was thinking Washington State University, didn't realize Washington University was in St Louis. Thanks for clarifying the situation. Do you have the information you need for now?

No, thank you for even replying. This thread quickly turned into something it shouldn't have :( I'm a little more on track, though... Thank you very much. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yes, I am a US citizen. I have my parents' consent and I haven't read anything about not being able to file the petition just because I'm 17. That's not my problem, I'm solely interested in whether or not my employment will be sufficient or if I can get a co-sponsor or anything of the sort.

Yes you can get a co-sponsor in case you don't make enough, what they call under the poverty line. First you need to be 18 at least so in the meantime you can start learning all about the process. There might some challenges but nothing is impossible. The fact that you and your fiance are living together already helps as a proof of relationship as it fulfills the having met in the last two years requirement.

Have you thought maybe of getting married there first and after a couple of months of marriage when you become 18 file for a CR-1 visa?

AOS for parent Journey 

04/12/2021 → Filed I-130 online for parent (easier and didn't have AOS docs ready)

04/13/2021 → I-130 NOA1 available online

04/19/2021 → I-130 NOA1 Mail 

05/03/2021 → Sent through Fedex I-485 (with I-840 and sealed I-693 and I-130 NOA1 copy) I-765 I-131

05/06/2021 → Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

05/25/2021 → Fingerprint Fee Was Received
05/26/2021 → Got text messages for I-485, I-765 and I-131 with receipt numbers.

05/27/2021 → Check cashed.

06/02/2021 → 3 NOAs for I-485, I-765 and I-131 arrived in the mail.

06/30/2021 → I485 online status update "Request for Initial Evidence"

07/06/2021 → RFIE letter arrived in the mail (I864 with 2020 tax return and w2s, 1090s)

07/23/2021 → Sent RFIE response through Fedex.

07/27/2021 → RFIE Response Delivered to USCIS with signature confirmation.

07/28/2021 → Status update RFIE response received. Working on case again. 

08/30/2021→Biometrics notice (no online case status update)

09/07/2021→ Biometrics letter arrived in the mail

09/22/2021 → Biometrics appointment completed. Online status updated 3 hours later to "Fingerprints Were Taken".

09/23/2021 → I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

10/22/2021 → I-130 - Case is being actively reviewed by USCIS

11/30/2021 → I-765 - Case approved.

12/01/2021 → I-131 - Case approved.

12/08/2021 → I-765 - Combo Card delivered.

01/03/2022 → SS Card delivered! (From Combo card application)

01/03/2022 → SS Card delivered! (From Combo card application)

03/02/2022 → Interview scheduled. Notice coming in the mail soon.

03/17/2022 → I-130 Approved! Noa in the mail two days later.

03/31/2022 → Interview day and I-485 Card produced by the time we were leaving.
04/01/2022 → Case approved

04/04/2022 → NOA Case Approved arrived in the mail.
04/07/2022 → Parent's Green card in hand!

I'd like to thank you again... Your information was unbelievably helpful!!!! We will all have the affidavit of support established with the intent to reestablish domicile. THANK YOU SO, SO MUCH!!!!!!! Of course, I'll keep reading and see which route is better, but this gives me slightly more hope!

No problem :) If you can swing the requirements, it's vastly superior to K1 or the regular CR1 route. Plus if he needs additional processing due to being from the MENA region (which you should look into at the MENA forum for more details), you'll be able to stay together, as long as his Spanish visa is still valid. Actually, that is a consideration to think about because if it runs out in a couple of months without any extension possibility, DCF is probably not the best choice.

here is our VJ forum on DCF: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/82-direct-consular-filing-dcf-general-discussion/

Best of luck to you.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

No, thank you for even replying. This thread quickly turned into something it shouldn't have :( I'm a little more on track, though... Thank you very much. :)

Very interesting situation, I really hope you don't let this thread die without sharing how you will proceed.

It sounds like you guys will be legally residing in Spain wether you choose to marry and do IR/CR or marry in the US using a K1, so as to avoid CASABLANCA (nightmare to many as I have read), that is already a big win if you ask me.

Only questions I have, you mention your parents are US residents, does this mean they are not US citizens? Also, have they or are they planning on filing US taxes from abroad?

I really wish you the best!!

Edited by Cesar & Cata

USCIS:

06/06/2012: Sent I-130 to VSC (as LPR)

06/08/2012: NOA1 (Priority Date)

06/12/2012: Touched

08/20/2012: Mailed VSC request for Upgrade to CR1

08/23/2012: Opened Request with USCIS for Upgrade to CR1

08/27/2012: Got Email confirming upgrade to IR1/CR1

11/13/2012: NOA2

NVC:

11/16/2012: NVC Received (NVC # not ready)

11/19/2012: BOG number/IIN - Gave emails

11/19/2012: Choice of Agent email sent

11/20/2012: AOS bill invoiced

11/20/2012: AOS bill paid shows in process

11/21/2012: AOS package sent

11/21/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email sent (again)

11/21/2012: Choice of Agent email accepted

11/23/2012: IV bill invoiced

11/23/2012: IV bill paid

11/26/2012: IV package sent

11/26/2012: IV bill shows PAID

12/07/2012: AOS accepted

12/10/2012: IV Accepted

12/10/2012: Case complete

12/13/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Bogota:

01/25/2013: Lab Visit

01/28/2013: Medical

01/30/2013: Interview

02/05/2013: Email Waybill (5PM)

02/06/2013: Visa in hand

02/08/2013: POE JFK, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Spain does not have a USCIS field office and therefore DCF is not even an option there.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

You can't DCF in Spain, so that's a no go... and even if you could, I had a HORRIBLE DCF interview in Moscow, one of the reasons being that I am young (not as young as you, but young enough). I don't see how 18 year old married to a guy from a high fraud country would go any better.

If I were you, I would get married, establish a life together, gather up the evidence, THEN file a CR1. I don't see how your case would be approved in Casa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

As a few have advised, try to find out what is needed to satisfy the conditions that Casablanca tends to focus on. You have gotten some great links to go and read up on. IMO, you have been living together in Spain that could be very good proof that you two have an on-going relationship. Find ways to get that in writing, lease etc.. If its one thing I've learned from this site is there are members that are willing to give you information you are asking, and then there are those that have been through the process successfully and for some reason they are waiting for the opportunity to attack (perhaps they aren't happy) . You handled yourself well :)

Whatever decision you make , I hope that path brings you to a happy place!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

As a few have advised, try to find out what is needed to satisfy the conditions that Casablanca tends to focus on. You have gotten some great links to go and read up on. IMO, you have been living together in Spain that could be very good proof that you two have an on-going relationship. Find ways to get that in writing, lease etc.. If its one thing I've learned from this site is there are members that are willing to give you information you are asking, and then there are those that have been through the process successfully and for some reason they are waiting for the opportunity to attack (perhaps they aren't happy) . You handled yourself well :)

agreed! hopefully whatever you choose will be a successful start! :) Good luck on your long Journey ahead :)

eJLMm6.png

K1 Visa JourneyI129F

Sent: Nov 1st,2012

NOA1: Nov 7th,2012

NOA2:May 28th, 2013

NVC CASE RECEIVE: June10, 2013

NVC CASE LEFT: June 12,2013

EMBASSY RECEIVED: June 14, 2013

Packet3:never received he asked in ciudad juarez for it.

Medical: Aug.6,2013

Interview: Aug.7, 2013 approved

visa received: August 14, 2013

poe: August 21, 2013

AOS:

Sent:February 3,2014

Received: February 7,2014

Biometrics: March 14, 2014

EAD: April 23rd (Online Status changed)

EAD Card Received: May 1st

I485: still in initial Review since Feb 11

Timeline

Very interesting situation, I really hope you don't let this thread die without sharing how you will proceed.

It sounds like you guys will be legally residing in Spain wether you choose to marry and do IR/CR or marry in the US using a K1, so as to avoid CASABLANCA (nightmare to many as I have read), that is already a big win if you ask me.

Only questions I have, you mention your parents are US residents, does this mean they are not US citizens? Also, have they or are they planning on filing US taxes from abroad?

I really wish you the best!!

I will let everyone know as soon as I do :P We just have to keep reading and comparing.. We just want the faster/easier route if there is one. If it becomes a mess, so be it, but hopefully it won't be.

My parents are both citizens from the US and Romania. My father is planning on filing taxes.

Thank you very much, I wish you the best of luck as well and hope you succeed on your path :)))

Timeline

Thank you, I appreciate it. I knew there would be a few who would probably be against it and have their own opinion, but no one's comment has influenced any of my decisions. I hope you have some luck on your petition!

Since everyone has read a little about my situation, do you think that we should do K-1 or I-130? I have a feeling we should talk to a lawyer :o Maybe I will just email the consulate in Madrid?

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you, I appreciate it. I knew there would be a few who would probably be against it and have their own opinion, but no one's comment has influenced any of my decisions. I hope you have some luck on your petition!

Since everyone has read a little about my situation, do you think that we should do K-1 or I-130? I have a feeling we should talk to a lawyer :o Maybe I will just email the consulate in Madrid?

I'd do the I-130. They get denied less often, and even if he legally resides in Spain, I've heard stories here of guys from MENA countries put into AP/denied even if they're legally in Europe; just the MENA background is "bad" enough, sadly.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'd do the I-130. They get denied less often, and even if he legally resides in Spain, I've heard stories here of guys from MENA countries put into AP/denied even if they're legally in Europe; just the MENA background is "bad" enough, sadly.

:thumbs: I agree!

event.png

event.png

Marriage: 7/12/10
Filed I-130: 9/10/12
NOA1: 9/17/12
Transferred to NBC: 9/19/12
Sent to local office for adjudication: 9/21/12
RFE for Beneficiary BC received 12/13/12
Mail BC in response to RFE 12/17/12
NOA2: 12/20/12
NVC case number assigned: 1/29/13
Sent DS-3032 email: 1/31/13
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill: 2/1/13
Pay I-864 Bill: 2/5/13
NVC Accepted DS-3032: 2/12/13
Received IV Bill: 2/13/13
Send Completed I-864: 2/16/13
NVC Received I-864 Package: 2/19/13
AOS Package accepted: 2/26/13
Pay IV Bill: 2/28/13
IV Packet Sent: 3/2/13
NVC Received IV Packet: 3/4/13
Case Completed at NVC: 3/13/13
Interview date: 4/30/13

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POE: pending

Timeline

Okay, thank you. Hopefully since he's a student, they'll be more lenient, I'm not sure. Since there is no DCF here in Spain, we might just do I-130 and specify that we're both living together and that we have been for a while.

People doing the I-129F and the I-130 saying that they've been living separately compared to people who specify that they've been living abroad with their SO, the approval rate is extremely high and much, much faster. Thank you all for the useful information! It's helped tremendously! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.