Shanh

Cross country move around possible time of approval

7 posts in this topic

As the title suggests, I will be moving cross country pretty soon, back to the West Coast.

I do not have a new address yet, so I'm a bit worried about what to do regarding my 10 year green card that should hopefully be approved soon.

My first question would be about mail forwarding:

- we will forward our mail to a friend, would that also work for the mail containing the green card? Can government mail be forwarded like any other mail or not?

If yes, then problem solved and I will let it ride out in VSC.

If not, should I just file an AR11 with a friend's address and hope that my file gets sent back to CSC before VSC starts on my I-751?

Any other suggestions?

Talk about bad timing grrr

Thank you for your help :)

I-751 package sent : 03/30/2012

I-751 receipt date : 04/03/2012

As the title suggests, I will be moving cross country pretty soon, back to the West Coast.

I do not have a new address yet, so I'm a bit worried about what to do regarding my 10 year green card that should hopefully be approved soon.

My first question would be about mail forwarding:

- we will forward our mail to a friend, would that also work for the mail containing the green card? Can government mail be forwarded like any other mail or not?

If yes, then problem solved and I will let it ride out in VSC.

If not, should I just file an AR11 with a friend's address and hope that my file gets sent back to CSC before VSC starts on my I-751?

Any other suggestions?

Talk about bad timing grrr

Thank you for your help :)

First, No the USCIS wll not allow the USPS to forward any of their mailings. Second, you will need to file the AR-11 on-line and also to indicate that you have a pending case. Third, you will also have to notify the USCIS of the USC sponsor's move using the I-865 form. You could try a vacation hold, but that would require you to pick the mail up within 30 days after the move at the post office at the old address.

I would wait until you actually move and file change of address forms. If the USCIS does not get the address changed and the mail is returned, you will get an e-mail notice and can call them to have it mailed to the correct address. IF everything else is complete and you are just waiting on the card itself, I would do the address change within 10 days after the move. You can discuss this with your local postoffice--maybe you can put a vacation hold on your mail at the old address and your friend can pick-up the mail after 28 days and send it to you at the new address.

Good luck,

Dave

First, No the USCIS wll not allow the USPS to forward any of their mailings. Second, you will need to file the AR-11 on-line and also to indicate that you have a pending case. Third, you will also have to notify the USCIS of the USC sponsor's move using the I-865 form. You could try a vacation hold, but that would require you to pick the mail up within 30 days after the move at the post office at the old address.

I would wait until you actually move and file change of address forms. If the USCIS does not get the address changed and the mail is returned, you will get an e-mail notice and can call them to have it mailed to the correct address. IF everything else is complete and you are just waiting on the card itself, I would do the address change within 10 days after the move. You can discuss this with your local postoffice--maybe you can put a vacation hold on your mail at the old address and your friend can pick-up the mail after 28 days and send it to you at the new address.

Good luck,

Dave

Thank you :)

Our mail will be forwarded in our new state so putting the mail on hold and have someone pick it up won't work.

I guess I will have to change my address twice, first using a friend's to get the green card and a second change when I will get my new home address.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i would rethink that 30 day holiday hold, really.

USPS does NOT forward USCIS postal mail, at all. There's a thing on the outside of the envelope, instructing the postman specifically to NOT FORWARD.

A holiday hold, OTOH, is different.

How close are you, do you think, to approval ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

i would rethink that 30 day holiday hold, really.

USPS does NOT forward USCIS postal mail, at all. There's a thing on the outside of the envelope, instructing the postman specifically to NOT FORWARD.

A holiday hold, OTOH, is different.

How close are you, do you think, to approval ?

I think I'm about 2 or 4 weeks of being approved, unless VSC slows down pre Holidays.

Mail on hold would be great, but I will be on the other side of the country so unless I'm missing something, I don't see how that helps me.

Would a UPS mail box address work? As new address I mean, as they are regular street addresses.

Otherwise, is that a problem to file 2 AR-11 close to each other? I'm moving to San Fran, no idea how long it will take us to find a new place to live.. :/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You need a physical address, but can have a mailing address. If you find a place and no mail, file an address change or hold off on your move.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm sorry - USCIS will send the green card to the address on file.

Here's some speculation, based on what I've read here and my own opinion..

Lets say you put in the forwarding order.

ALL of your mail except that USCIS letter containing the green card will go to your new address.

The postal carrier will see the forward order at the sort center, then send the USCIS postal mail pack back to USCIS.

A month or two passes, USCIS mailroom processes the returned mail piece.

YOU call into USCIS on occassion, asking about status of any returned mail pieces.

Finally, after 6 weeks of calling, you learn that there is, indeed, a returned mail piece on you.

When you talk to an ISO, you make arrangements with him/her to update the current address, and you ask that the returned mail piece or pieces be sent on to the updated current address.

---

Can this 'circle of death' be overturned? I say yes, by having a postal hold order in place, combined with having a friend that will pick up your mail on the day that the green card arrives. You will know of 'that day' as you DID call in to USCIS and obtain the USPS Tracking Number on the green card mailer, and you've been tracking it all this time.

---

Now, USPS won't just give the mail to your friend. You and your friend must show up in person and talk with the shift supervisor at your carrier station, and ask him/her for the exact thing they require for that to happen. Sometimes that's a letter 'allowing' your friend to do this, submitted with the hold order, stamped by a notary.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.