TJandJR

happy thanksgiving!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Happy thanksgiving everyone! For those USC 's fortunate enough to be spending thanksgiving with your Nigerian sweetheart (or any other African country) I'm curious about what feast is on the table? Just thought it would be a fun topic. I ain't gonna lie.... When I visited him, I didn't like the fish eye stew stuff my fiance cooked. And he hated the chicken and dumplings I made for him (it was the best I have ever made). He called them chicken and goblins. Lol. I'm wondering what our future multi cultural thanksgiving meals will look like.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

lol. Thankfully, I am Canadian and therefore have grown up with the same things my wife grew up on! Send some of those chicken and dumplings my way, please!! No thanksgiving for me this year! :)

Happy thanksgiving to you and yours, though!! :dance:

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Happy thanksgiving everyone! For those USC 's fortunate enough to be spending thanksgiving with your Nigerian sweetheart (or any other African country) I'm curious about what feast is on the table? Just thought it would be a fun topic. I ain't gonna lie.... When I visited him, I didn't like the fish eye stew stuff my fiance cooked. And he hated the chicken and dumplings I made for him (it was the best I have ever made). He called them chicken and goblins. Lol. I'm wondering what our future multi cultural thanksgiving meals will look like.

THE ONLY REQUEST WAS PEPPER SOUP MADE WITH FISH...EASY ENOUGH. HE CAME IN LAST YEAR RIGHT AT THANKSGIVING TIME. HE LOVED THE TURKEY...LOOKED AT THE DRESSING...ATE A LITTLE MAC AND CHEESE BUT HE LOVED THE POTATO SALAD. OF COURSE RICE WAS LIKE A BLESSING TO HIM. THIS YEAR HE HAS TO WORK ON TURKEY DAY SO AS EVERYONE IS GATHERING AROUND THE TABLE...I'LL BE IN THE KITCHEN PACKING HIS AND TAKE IT TO HIM AT HIS JOB...I'LL MISS HAVING HIM WITH ME ON CHRISTMAS TOO.

The World is Yours to Experience....Venture out into it and find Love!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey Tish!! How goes it?

My hubby was going to have to work also, but the supervisor gave him the day off :dance: . We're having the usual Thanksgiving Day meal...turkey/ham, dressing, sweet potatoes, greens, etc. But for him it is egusi and pounded yam, and I'm not gonna lie...I didn't make it but I got it for him and surprised him with it. Of course he was estactic and gobbled it up before Thanksgiving Day lol.

I hope everyone had a blessed day!

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We will have a late thanksgiving meal next week when hubbie gets here but the menu will existed of the following: Grilled barbecue ribs, smoked turkey, spicy collard greens, squash, nigerian beef and chicken stew w/pounded yam (I will be making this by myself with the help of youtube), devil eggs, baked homemade mac and cheese, green beans, candied yams, pound cake w/strawberry topping and lemonade cream pie. Drinks will be tropical punch and coors lite beer. Happy Gobble Gobble Day.

"Marriage isn't for Christmas but forever" My husband Femi (L)(L)(L)

Timeline

Joseph is working until dinner time and he will go over to my daughters house. We have a pretty typical mneu. Brined turkey with chestnut stuffing and all the typical sides. His friends made him a good nigerian dinner yesterday for his birthday this past week. He likes foood spicier than I do and loves the hot peppers from the garden. He also lovers his bitter leaves as a snack

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

We will have a late thanksgiving meal next week when hubbie gets here but the menu will existed of the following: Grilled barbecue ribs, smoked turkey, spicy collard greens, squash, nigerian beef and chicken stew w/pounded yam (I will be making this by myself with the help of youtube), devil eggs, baked homemade mac and cheese, green beans, candied yams, pound cake w/strawberry topping and lemonade cream pie. Drinks will be tropical punch and coors lite beer. Happy Gobble Gobble Day.

Woo girl! I'm on my way with a giant fork. Haha.

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Okay...I stopped sobbing.

To the USCs that are with Nigerian applicants....how do/did you guys manage to combine two cultures so that it can work for you guys?

I am curious to know because I realize in Nigeria...it is easy for my husband and in America...it is easy for me. It took me some adjusting in Nigeria and I had to get used to the culture. Some things I am used to in America lacks in Nigeria. It is always HOOOOOOOT and fans are the hottest commodities! LOL!

How do you guys do it?

Timeline

In our area there is a large number of Nigerians and many of his village. So he can drop by there and get all the Nigerian food he can eat without stinking up my kitchen. We do have some Nigerian foods here. Stockfish is one of his favorites. We grow bitterleaf and greens in the garden ( the birds love the seeds from the greens ) He has discovered habernero peppers for extra spice. Once a week he heads over to his friends to eat dinner with the guys.

When I do to Nigeria I take some food from here. Oatmeal ( the breasfast pouches) in case I get feeling sick. Boilable dinners like the camping style in case I need a break. When I am at home we just see what is for dinner and they start it minus spices and then I take a little add psices I bring and then they finish cooking with the spices for the rest of the family. We also have a few places where we eat out that have learned to cook more to my liking. For cooling I take a bottle mister and cooler collars. Also wear only natural fabrics instead of manmade ones that trap heat. A good straw/palm hat that can be dunked in water will help keep your head cooler.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

When I was in Nigeria I was blessed to be near "Tank n Tummy" because they had 2 foods I recognized... spaghetti and hog mauws. I lived on it! I have done missionary work in Honduras a few times so the heat wasn't new to me but that doesn't make it tolerable. I knew to take light cotton clothes. The heat... we had to keep the windows closed to keep the mosquitoes out and when the power was out (always) the fan was off and with the windows shut I was so hot. (Funny how it gets hotter at night in Lagos instead of cooling off). My fiance would wet a large bath towel and lay it over me. Try it. It helps. I took little bags of yellow rice, mac and cheese, canned chicken, also took instant oatmeal. I can't remember what else I took. It was a shock to buy meat at the market that sat open on a board out in the sun all day and I wouldn't eat it. But I did eat barbque we bought from a street vendor. Cooking was a big endeavor - one burner on a kerosene thing. The pots got so black and dirty. Yuck. I liked the ramen noodles with the peppers and onions and scrambled eggs mixed in. But only now and then. I disliked everything else. I think we will take turns cooking when he gets here. But I am taking him to Ryans Buffet so he can sample food and I will know what he likes and what he doesn't like.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Just saw this thread. My Ugandan sweetheart arrived in the U.S. 2 days before Thanksgiving, so we were fortunate enough to spend the day together with some friends. I cooked:

--turkey

--mashed potatoes

--gravy

--green bean casserole

--creamed spinach

--chorizo stuffing

--cranberry sauce

--apple cranberry crisp

--banana bread

He liked everything except the spinach, and especially liked the turkey and gravy and banana bread. It's not a holiday he's familiar with, so we didn't add any Ugandan food to the meal, but he cooked a nice Ugandan meal on Saturday once we'd overdosed a little on leftovers: so tasty!

In general, he's still getting used to the food here, but likes or will tolerate most of what we've eaten. The idea was to share the cooking, but so far I've been handling the majority of it because most of the ingredients I have around are things he doesn't really know how to use (i.e. processed foods). We're heading to the outdoor produce market tonight to pick up some stuff he can cook with!

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.