jamrok

NEED Urgent Help...Please

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I will get to the point; Approved K1 application did not include OLD FIRST

name as it appreared on the original birth certificate in the "other names used" section of the forms.

My Fiance has never used the OLD first name...she has always used her CURRENT legally changed

name since grade school. My questions are as follows: Will this be a problem? How can i fix this?

The following is what I plan of doing:

(1) On packet#4 forms, include old first name in "other names used" section of the forms

(2) provide copy of old birth certificate and copy of legally changed birth certificate

(3) Copy of High School diploma showing that she has always used the curret first name

(4) Transcripts and College diploma showing the same

(5) Tax ID

(6) Employer ID

(7) Dr licence

(8) NBI clearance in both old names

Has anyone ever had this problem before and how did you resolve it? Dont want to have AR because

of this.

Thanks for all and every help with this matter.

name as it appreared on the original birth certificate in the "other names used" section of the forms.

My Fiance has never used the OLD first name...she has always used her CURRENT legally changed

name since grade school. My questions are as follows: Will this be a problem? How can i fix this?

(1) On packet#4 forms, include old first name in "other names used" section of the forms

(2) provide copy of old birth certificate and copy of legally changed birth certificate

(3) Copy of High School diploma showing that she has always used the curret first name

(5) Tax ID

(6) Employer ID

(7) Dr licence

Has anyone ever had this problem before and how did you resolve it? Dont want to have AR because

of this.

:blush:

jamrok,

Possibly a problem. When the consular officer sees a name that was previously un-revealed they may have to hold up issuance of the visa until the name has been run through the name checks. I've seen it happen for differences in transliteration of a name.

Yodrak

(5) Tax ID

(6) Employer ID

(7) Dr licence

of this.

jamrok,

Possibly a problem. When the consular officer sees a name that was previously un-revealed they may have to hold up issuance of the visa until the name has been run through the name checks. I've seen it happen for differences in transliteration of a name.

Yodrak

(5) Tax ID

(6) Employer ID

(7) Dr licence

of this.

Any other opinions? This is really stressing me.

Someone in the Manila embassy forum had something somewhat similar. The beneficiary's name was spelled incorrectly on her birth cert. They had it corrected to reflect her correct name before the interview. However, her passport still had her old mispelled name. After her interview she was put on AR. It's been about 2 months, but now it's sounds like they might be close to getting the visa soon. I think it's likely they will want to run name checks on your finacee's old name. Sorry I wish I had something more positive to say. I'm just going by other peoples experiences on this one.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

Someone in the Manila embassy forum had something somewhat similar. The beneficiary's name was spelled incorrectly on her birth cert. They had it corrected to reflect her correct name before the interview. However, her passport still had her old mispelled name. After her interview she was put on AR. It's been about 2 months, but now it's sounds like they might be close to getting the visa soon. I think it's likely they will want to run name checks on your finacee's old name. Sorry I wish I had something more positive to say. I'm just going by other peoples experiences on this one.

Dean,

thanks for your input.....I dont know how we made such a mistake.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I actually have a similiar situation ...

When I was about 5 years old I started using my step dad's last name ... I even had all my ID in his name (to this date I am not sure how the Canadian government managed to let this slip by and give us a social security number under my step dad's name) ... When I met my fiancee and decided it was time to get a passport I decided that I better get this straightened out as it was always a pain in the butt at US and Canada Customs ... So I applied to "officially" change my name to my step dad's name because that would be the least painful way as all of my ID, credit cards, bank stuff, work stuff, ect., were already in my step dad's name but my brith certificate was under my birth dad's name) ...

In Canada when you legally change your last name they give you a new birth certificate in your new last name and make you return your old birth certificate. They supply you with a Name Change Document that shows the name you were and the name you changed it to ... When filling out any of the paperwork for the K-1 and AOS whenever they asked other names used I always filled in both names used ... I also put in my package a copy of my name change document ... When I went to get my RCMP criminal check done I made sure that I had it done in both names and also supplied this at my interview in Vancouver ...

The officer interviewing me never asked or commented on this so I kind of brought it up and he told me that most people who are trying to hide something wouldn't supply all of the info that I had and that he was sure I had a good reason for changing it ... I told him the reason and that was pretty much the end of it ...

I was also worried about what would happen at AOS time in regards to the FBI name check and I was recently approved so I guess it wasn't a problem either ... I think the bottom line is to make sure that you supply them with this info so that they don't find it on their own and think you are trying to hide something ...

Good luck

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

I actually have a similiar situation ...

When I was about 5 years old I started using my step dad's last name ... I even had all my ID in his name (to this date I am not sure how the Canadian government managed to let this slip by and give us a social security number under my step dad's name) ... When I met my fiancee and decided it was time to get a passport I decided that I better get this straightened out as it was always a pain in the butt at US and Canada Customs ... So I applied to "officially" change my name to my step dad's name because that would be the least painful way as all of my ID, credit cards, bank stuff, work stuff, ect., were already in my step dad's name but my brith certificate was under my birth dad's name) ...

In Canada when you legally change your last name they give you a new birth certificate in your new last name and make you return your old birth certificate. They supply you with a Name Change Document that shows the name you were and the name you changed it to ... When filling out any of the paperwork for the K-1 and AOS whenever they asked other names used I always filled in both names used ... I also put in my package a copy of my name change document ... When I went to get my RCMP criminal check done I made sure that I had it done in both names and also supplied this at my interview in Vancouver ...

The officer interviewing me never asked or commented on this so I kind of brought it up and he told me that most people who are trying to hide something wouldn't supply all of the info that I had and that he was sure I had a good reason for changing it ... I told him the reason and that was pretty much the end of it ...

I was also worried about what would happen at AOS time in regards to the FBI name check and I was recently approved so I guess it wasn't a problem either ... I think the bottom line is to make sure that you supply them with this info so that they don't find it on their own and think you are trying to hide something ...

Good luck

Waiting in Vancouver.......Thank you so much for your response. Here's a question for you. Since we did not include the old First name on the original forms; we will include it on the packet 4 documents....do you think we should write a supplemental sheet explaining why it was not on the original forms and also pointing to them the list of items we are providing to prove that she is who she is? Wow...I was long winded there :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.