laurie1015

LAST NAMES

18 posts in this topic

I HAVE A QUESTION I FILED ALL MY I-130 PAPER WORK WITH MY HUSBANDS LAST NAME BECAUSE OF COURSE WE ARE MARRIED BUT MY DOCUMENTS ALL SAY MY LAST NAME FROM BEFORE I WAS MARRIED FOR EXAMPLE IN THE I-130 I SIGNED ESCALONA BECAUSE THATS MY HUSBANDS LAST NAME AND WERE MARRIED BUT MY DOCUMENTS SUCH AS MY PASSPORT AND SSN ALL HAVE JORGE MY LAST NAME BEFORE MARRIAGE IS THIS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM?

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Are you the immigrant or is he? If the female is the immigrant then she needs to change her passport name as the visa will come in the passport name.

Are you the immigrant or is he? If the female is the immigrant then she needs to change her passport name as the visa will come in the passport name.

NO HE'S THE IMMIGRANT

event.png

Timeline

NO HE'S THE IMMIGRANT

Please stop typing in CAPS. It's considered yelling.

Okay, then don't worry about it. you put your legal name on the forms, which is your married name if you want it to be. Very common occurrence.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please stop typing in CAPS. It's considered yelling.

Okay, then don't worry about it. you put your legal name on the forms, which is your married name if you want it to be. Very common occurrence.

And then change your name on your own ID including passport at your earliest opportunity. It will help show a bonafide relationship and be much more convenient in a number of ways later. If it is now your name, your ID needs to reflect that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

And then change your name on your own ID including passport at your earliest opportunity. It will help show a bonafide relationship and be much more convenient in a number of ways later. If it is now your name, your ID needs to reflect that.

ok but i just got a new passport in october and i paid like 200$ for it and i wasnt married then so i used my maiden name do you know how much they will charge me to change it or should i just wait till it expires?

event.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

ok but i just got a new passport in october and i paid like 200$ for it and i wasnt married then so i used my maiden name do you know how much they will charge me to change it or should i just wait till it expires?

Since you already used your married surname on your i-130, it is best that you change all your ID and passport into your married name as well.

Prior to getting married, I also have a valid passport and ID cards on my maiden name. Since I want to use my hubby's surname, I changed name in ALL my ID cards including my passport.

Timeline

Passports are good for ten years, so waiting until it expires would hardly be getting a new one with the married name as soon as possible. No need to pay for rush service. Just find a time when you won't need it for a few weeks and get it done.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I HAVE A QUESTION I FILED ALL MY I-130 PAPER WORK WITH MY HUSBANDS LAST NAME BECAUSE OF COURSE WE ARE MARRIED BUT MY DOCUMENTS ALL SAY MY LAST NAME FROM BEFORE I WAS MARRIED FOR EXAMPLE IN THE I-130 I SIGNED ESCALONA BECAUSE THATS MY HUSBANDS LAST NAME AND WERE MARRIED BUT MY DOCUMENTS SUCH AS MY PASSPORT AND SSN ALL HAVE JORGE MY LAST NAME BEFORE MARRIAGE IS THIS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM?

Also please keep in mind that you DO NOT have take your husbands name if you don't want to. But as he other member stated try to update the rest of your documents to your married name so there won't be any confusion. As far as your passport goes, That is just other form of identification, So if you are in no rush HOLD OFF on getting another reissued. just make sure you have either you state ID or SSN# under the married named and leave your passport as is.

~* GodsGift225*~

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Also please keep in mind that you DO NOT have take your husbands name if you don't want to. But as he other member stated try to update the rest of your documents to your married name so there won't be any confusion. As far as your passport goes, That is just other form of identification, So if you are in no rush HOLD OFF on getting another reissued. just make sure you have either you state ID or SSN# under the married named and leave your passport as is.

I sort of agree.

I didn't change my passport name until I renewed it over a year and a half after we married. I was NEVER questioned at the border.

However, 10 years is sort of a while so I would consider changing that w/in the next few years maybe after you get a tax return of some extra money =]

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I sort of agree.

I didn't change my passport name until I renewed it over a year and a half after we married. I was NEVER questioned at the border.

However, 10 years is sort of a while so I would consider changing that w/in the next few years maybe after you get a tax return of some extra money =]

A new passport that is not rushed, is also not expensive. There is no rush but ten years is too long. Bear in mind that whenever you purchase a ticket for international travel, it MUST be in the passport name. Taking the trouble to get the passport issued in the married name is also good evidence of bona fide relationship.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

If you got your US passport less than a year ago, it is FREE change your name. See here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you got your US passport less than a year ago, it is FREE change your name. See here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

Perfect! That's awesome! I didn't know they could do it for free under a year.

oldlady.gif

Just a quick point, this is not entirely true. My husband (he was the immigrant) actually tacked on my name to his (long story) but we didn't have his passport changed. His visa and green card were issued in his married name listed on the marriage certificate (his full name with my last name tacked on), not on the name in his passport. He used that passport for another 2 years or so, but we did have to buy airline tickets in his "maiden" name :lol: until he renewed it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.