jmcginley

UK to US...visa trouble!

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm from the U.K, got married to my fiance (he a US citizen) a couple of months ago here in Texas on a VISITORS VISA (a mistake!) Because if i go home to London now I won't be able to return for up to 6 months to a year, so I'm overstaying my 3 month visa and in the process of sending off the I-130 petition form..... because we were told as long as that is pending I can legally stay here.

My only worry now is I have to go home at some point in the next few months briefly to attend to some things, What visa can I apply for now to stay longer but still be able to get parole to go back and forth? K3? or any other non immigrant visa?

I appreciate anyone's advice! thanks :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wouldn't overstay, if you just filed the I130 you have no authorization to stay

who told you that you could stay? Please don't say USCIS help line, they are simple customer service agents who do not process visas

who also told you that you couldn't visit for 6 months to a year?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

okay... you CANNOT legally stay in the US because you have a I-130 pending. The I-130 by itself grants no legal status.

You can go home and wait for the spousal visa process to go through (about a year), or you can stay here and apply for the I-485 as well, which does grant a temporary stay. With that, you can apply for an Advance Parole travel permission, which will take about 3 months to be approved. Before that is approved and in your hand, if you leave the US your application will be denied for abandonment.

You cannot have your cake and eat it too, you cannot marry on a tourist visa and expect to be able to travel freely and then move to the US when you are ready.

So, which path will you choose?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hi there,

I'm from the U.K, got married to my fiance (he a US citizen) a couple of months ago here in Texas on a VISITORS VISA (a mistake!) Because if i go home to London now I won't be able to return for up to 6 months to a year, so I'm overstaying my 3 month visa and in the process of sending off the I-130 petition form..... because we were told as long as that is pending I can legally stay here.

My only worry now is I have to go home at some point in the next few months briefly to attend to some things, What visa can I apply for now to stay longer but still be able to get parole to go back and forth? K3? or any other non immigrant visa?

I appreciate anyone's advice! thanks :star:

Some of the statements you make are not correct. If you are married and planning to live in the US your wife can file form I-130 to petition a resident visa for you. As stated in another post, filing the I-130 gives you no privilege in the US, in terms of residence just yet.

You can return to GB and if you do so provided you do not overstay the maximum allowed of 90 days per visit, you can return to the US while your case is being processed. Many here have come and visited with their spouses during the process and were allowed in the country unhindered.

You can also apply for AOS here and file for AP at the same time, in which case you should be able to leave the US and return once those two petitions are approved, which should take approximately 3-6 months.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.