Rahstyles

Please Help! How can I get a Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage in bacolod!?

36 posts in this topic

WoW! Those are some pricey taxis! :lol:

It's quite a ways from Bacolod City to the new airport in Silay.

Here's my breakdown:

$15. Manila...airport-embassy-airport.

$25. Bacolod...Bacolod-Silay-Bacolod.

If anything, it likely will cost more than $25 for the Bacolod-Silay-Bacolod taxis. Of course, he could always take a jeepney!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may of said " im not staying in manila.. or going to cebu! " but that doesn't change the reality.

:thumbs:

Met in Person: Feb 2009

Got engaged: Aug 2010

Got married: Dec 2010

NOA 1: Oct 13, 2011

I-130 Approved: March 23, 2012

NVC Recieved: May 10, 2012

Case Completed: Oct. 23, 2012

Medical: Nov.17 and 18: passed but went back Nov 22 for immunization

Interview: Dec 3, 2012 (Approved)

Visa in hand: Dec 6, 2012

POE: January 12, 2013

“Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.”

― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

You have to go to Manila if you want to get married, get a visa, etc.

Wait, why is your country Japan? Bacolod in not in Japan!

Im japanese.. i live in socal... i thought you put down the country you are from...

but im a us citizen just got my passport last month

Im japanese.. i live in socal... i thought you put down the country you are from...

Actually you put down the country of the person immigrating to the USA. It makes it easier for people to help you with questions, as parts of this process are country specific. Like your question about the Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage. In case you're not aware, there is a 10 day waiting period between getting the marriage license and being able to have the ceremony. You can't get the license until you get the Affidavit, so make sure you give yourself enough time in country.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Put in the country for which you are in the visa process (ie Philippines), then the process you are now starting as in IR/CR-1 being you are getting married in the Phils.

BTW - congrats on your citizenship!

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Thanks!

Yea i must of missread it ..

anyways.. would there be some kind of complication as to.. since i just got my citezenship a month ago...

they might think.. i only got my us citizenship so i can bring sombody to the usa... which is true.. but of course i dont want them to think that..

Ill arrive there in the pi on jan 11 and my appt to the embassy is 14 and i leave on the 22 .. so i need to find a way to get this done faster.

Edited by Rahstyles

Timeline

You should be just fine, there is no "waiting period" for a citizen to petition for their wife/or fiancee after naturalization. Best I can suggest is getting in contact with the embassy to make an appointment.

Embassy (Manila) Phone Number (and email)

(632) 301-2000, extension 5184 or 5185 (local number: USEM 301-2000 loc 5184/5185 call them around 3-4:30pm)

** (214) 571-1600 or (646) 254-3546 (these are USA numbers)

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS

In order to serve our visa applicants more efficiently, we have created this new e-mail address: IVMNLAppointments@state.gov , for early appointment requests and visa scheduling issues. Please note, however, that early appointment requests will be approved on a case to case basis (i.e., aging out cases, or in cases involving personal or medical emergencies), and only if visa interview slots are available.

For other immigrant and K visa concerns, please send an e-mail to IVManilaReplies@state.gov

To enable us to electronically sort the messages and provide better, more timely responses, you should follow the instructions below.

The subject line of your email should indicate the visa applicant’s last name, first and middle name (ex. DOE, John James), case number/USCIS receipt number, visa category and priority date.

Messages should be limited to 500 characters or less. The mail size should not be more than 15 KB.

Do not submit documentation or attachments with your message as our system is unable to receive inquiries with attachments.

Do not send your inquiry more than once as duplicate inquiries will congest our system and delay our response time.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

You should be just fine, there is no "waiting period" for a citizen to petition for their wife/or fiancee after naturalization. Best I can suggest is getting in contact with the embassy to make an appointment.

Embassy (Manila) Phone Number (and email)

(632) 301-2000, extension 5184 or 5185 (local number: USEM 301-2000 loc 5184/5185 call them around 3-4:30pm)

** (214) 571-1600 or (646) 254-3546 (these are USA numbers)

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS

In order to serve our visa applicants more efficiently, we have created this new e-mail address: IVMNLAppointments@state.gov , for early appointment requests and visa scheduling issues. Please note, however, that early appointment requests will be approved on a case to case basis (i.e., aging out cases, or in cases involving personal or medical emergencies), and only if visa interview slots are available.

For other immigrant and K visa concerns, please send an e-mail to IVManilaReplies@state.gov

To enable us to electronically sort the messages and provide better, more timely responses, you should follow the instructions below.

The subject line of your email should indicate the visa applicant’s last name, first and middle name (ex. DOE, John James), case number/USCIS receipt number, visa category and priority date.

Messages should be limited to 500 characters or less. The mail size should not be more than 15 KB.

Do not submit documentation or attachments with your message as our system is unable to receive inquiries with attachments.

Do not send your inquiry more than once as duplicate inquiries will congest our system and delay our response time.

Yea i already made and appointment.. ON monday... Now somwhere i read.. says i need a nso certificate?? Do i really need that?? I havent gotten my divorce yet.. which states that after dec 26 I am free to marry.. now note that i am traveling on the jan 9 .. How do i get a hold of my divorce decree?? Do i go straight to family law court where i filed my paper work and they print me out a decree? Or does my final divorce papers proof enouogh to get the affidavit?? Also.. Does anybody know any judge or congressman i can contact in the negros occidental that can spead up my process for my case? I would like to let them know a month in advace and make a appointment. .. I basicaly need to get married withing 4 days. after affidavit inhand..

Also.. what is the dress code at the embassy? No jeans? No shorts? Dress shirt only?? Do i have to wear a suit?? It says no cellphones allowed.. Does that mean i just have to turn it off and leave it in my pocket.. or are they going to make me trash my phone first? I only have 1 day to go to the embassy and im on a timelimit for my plane.. so i need to get this done in 1 shot.. Also do i need passport size photos?? if so how many?? And what time around on monday is traffic from airport to manila embassy??

Thanks.

Timeline

Yea i already made and appointment.. ON monday... Now somwhere i read.. says i need a nso certificate?? Do i really need that?? I havent gotten my divorce yet.. which states that after dec 26 I am free to marry.. now note that i am traveling on the jan 9 .. How do i get a hold of my divorce decree?? Do i go straight to family law court where i filed my paper work and they print me out a decree? Or does my final divorce papers proof enouogh to get the affidavit?? Also.. Does anybody know any judge or congressman i can contact in the negros occidental that can spead up my process for my case? I would like to let them know a month in advace and make a appointment. .. I basicaly need to get married withing 4 days. after affidavit inhand..

Also.. what is the dress code at the embassy? No jeans? No shorts? Dress shirt only?? Do i have to wear a suit?? It says no cellphones allowed.. Does that mean i just have to turn it off and leave it in my pocket.. or are they going to make me trash my phone first? I only have 1 day to go to the embassy and im on a timelimit for my plane.. so i need to get this done in 1 shot.. Also do i need passport size photos?? if so how many?? And what time around on monday is traffic from airport to manila embassy??

Thanks.

NSO CENOMAR/CEMAR? I know I don't see that listed on the embassy webpage, where did you hear that? Not even sure that is a Philippine requirement for a USC.

You will need a copy of your divorce decree so once its finalized request a certified copy and then make a copy of that for the embassy.

NO electronic devices inside the embassy, no you can not bring your cell phone inside the embassy you will need to store it somewhere else.

I have never done the marriage route in the Phils so I don't have answers for some of your questions. But there is no mention of photos needed on the embassy website.

Here is the embassy info: http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

There are businesses outside the embassy that will store your cell phone for a small fee. You're not allowed to bring electronic devices at all. Its a security thing.

You'll have to check with your local courthouse to find out how soon you can get a certified copy of your divorce. A certified copy usually has a raised seal, so you need to get them from the court. Some places send you one when a divorce is finalized. My own state doesn't, I had to go to the courthouse and pay a very small fee for it. The parking cost more than the copy. There's also usually a timing issue between the divorce being final and the divorce decree being available. The judge signed mine in court, but it was over a week before it was available to get a copy. Turned out my official divorced date was a number of days after the judge signed it to, it had to sit in line to get entered into the records.

Don't wear shorts and sandals to the embassy. Better to dress in nice slacks and dress shoes, but its not required. That's probably more important when you're dealing with the local government where you'll get married.

Have your fiancée go find a judge where she lives to perform the ceremony and explain the circumstances. Its probably your best bet at having someone who can get the marriage done before the waiting period is over. The clerk at the courthouse might offer an expedite for a fee to. Given your time frame, I'd try to see what can get lined up ahead of time. Maybe they can start the waiting period and publication before you get there? Things can work a bit strange in the Philippines, from extra easy to impossible.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

There are businesses outside the embassy that will store your cell phone for a small fee. You're not allowed to bring electronic devices at all. Its a security thing.

You'll have to check with your local courthouse to find out how soon you can get a certified copy of your divorce. A certified copy usually has a raised seal, so you need to get them from the court. Some places send you one when a divorce is finalized. My own state doesn't, I had to go to the courthouse and pay a very small fee for it. The parking cost more than the copy. There's also usually a timing issue between the divorce being final and the divorce decree being available. The judge signed mine in court, but it was over a week before it was available to get a copy. Turned out my official divorced date was a number of days after the judge signed it to, it had to sit in line to get entered into the records.

Don't wear shorts and sandals to the embassy. Better to dress in nice slacks and dress shoes, but its not required. That's probably more important when you're dealing with the local government where you'll get married.

Have your fiancée go find a judge where she lives to perform the ceremony and explain the circumstances. Its probably your best bet at having someone who can get the marriage done before the waiting period is over. The clerk at the courthouse might offer an expedite for a fee to. Given your time frame, I'd try to see what can get lined up ahead of time. Maybe they can start the waiting period and publication before you get there? Things can work a bit strange in the Philippines, from extra easy to impossible.

Now my next question is.. Do you think or know anybody how i can get a number to a judge or anybody?? Can you ask your philipino.. wife please? I need some number where i can call and inquire about early marriage .. perferably in bacolod or any cities near it. Not manila. Thanks!

Thanks.

I went with my husband when he got the affidavit certificate at the embassy (well, I was his driver, lol). We just had to leave our cellphones at the receiving area and we were given a number which we presented upon leaving to get our phones back. That was in July 2011. I just don't know if it's still the same now.

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.