• Whenever it is possible
    • I do for my SO's sake
    • I cannot where I live, but would like to
  2. 2. Does your SO eat halal?

• yes
    • No
    • he does now, but not sure if he will when he arrives
    • I donnot know
  3. 3. Is halal food availible in your area?

• Yes
    • No
    • I could care less
    • I donnot know
    • I will find out when my SO arrives

115 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Hey JP..I wana ask you a question and I hope you wont be offended or take it the wrong way...it is more for my curiousity...but correct me if I am wrong you are Jordanian and raised in the USA right? or no? I was wondering being Christian arabe... does your family eat pork here in the US? I hope you donnot take this the wrong way...cos I donnot intend it badly...but I am so curious... I mean I was Catholic before converting...and ate pork...my family(who I have not lived with since 9yrs eats)...I donnot eat pork now of course, but when I do rarely visit with them, and they eat pork..I dont get all oooo yuk..haraaaaaam! and such with them...I just politely say sorry i dont eat pork anymore... Also I am curious how Christians in the ME (since I have never been in the ME) deal with pork... for some reason I think there is no pork there...but I could be wrong... I am mainly curious but also trying to think of how to resolve a mini issue I have with my husband: he says he will only eat halal food (which is great) but will also refuse to eat anything that my family might prepare (meat) unless it is halal...and there is pork present then he will just run away... any suggestions? I mean they know I donnot eat pork, my family I mean and they respect that...but I think if my husband made such a big deal about it with them...they would really dislike him... Note: in my native country halal meat is NOT really availible also my husband has not been out of NA so he has NO idea how life is outside of NA...he seems to think that being Muslim and/or obeying all laws of our religion and any other religion is soooo easy...(anyway sorry that was off topic of my question

Well my family eats pork, not really an issue. My fiance who is in Jordan also eats it and it is available just harder to find. There are alot of Christian arabs that don't eat pork because they were never exposed to it and not for any religious purpose. My mom used to claim that she never ate pork, then I explained that pepperoni pizza IS pork. :lol: I would assume pork would be harder to find in a ME country that has no christians. Since Jordan is 6% Christian, there is a bit more diversity in the cuisine.

We have several employees here that only eat Halal food. Its never been an issue and they tend to stick to vegetarian meals. I would hope that your family would at least try to accomodate him since he is your husband, maybe fish? I have heard there are certain ways to get around the halal ruling, not really sure what they are.

Edited by jordanianprincess

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing. But we always have Thanksgiving at my dad's, and he never cooks Halal. The first time he had halal meat he said that it tasted so good and asked where we got it. When we told him he was shocked and said that he might have to start going there if ACME doesn't bring any better tasting meat. :lol: I love my dad! If you find out about halal turkey, let me know so I can bring it up to my dad.

My mom tries so hard to accomodate my religious beliefs :luv: she had a "pig-pickin" a few months ago and when we got there she had chicken for me and my kids as well as seperate bowls of vegetarian baked beans and green beans (both without the bacon so common in the south).

I don't think I tell her that I love her enough... I'm gonna call her as soon as I get home and remind her (L)

BTW, what is a pig pickin?

Timeline

:lol: a BBQ ... I guess it's a country term :lol:

Ya I actually found in Wikipedia :lol:Pig Pickin

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

:lol: a BBQ ... I guess it's a country term :lol:

Ya I actually found in Wikipedia :lol:Pig Pickin

:lol: "held in the Carolinas" YEP! :lol:

A country luau!

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

You could do a lamb roast. Chad's family does a yearly lamb roast party (not due to dietary restriction, just because lamb is tasty.)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.