• Whenever it is possible
    • I do for my SO's sake
    • I cannot where I live, but would like to
  2. 2. Does your SO eat halal?

• yes
    • No
    • he does now, but not sure if he will when he arrives
    • I donnot know
  3. 3. Is halal food availible in your area?

• Yes
    • No
    • I could care less
    • I donnot know
    • I will find out when my SO arrives

115 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Some of us are factory originals ;)

You don't count.... you're Jordanian in Cali ;)

You are correct, I just checked my label, it says "Made in Jordan" :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not including carrion-birds or birds-of-prey such as raven, seagull, osprey, eagle;

This would also not be considered halal as we're not allowed to eat any animal that eats other animals... the only exception being anything from the sea.

Not quite--some RIVER/LAKE creatures (such as crawfish, a crustacean) that eat other animals (or offal) are also allowed in halal but not Levitical/Kosher.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline
not including carrion-birds or birds-of-prey such as raven, seagull, osprey, eagle;

This would also not be considered halal as we're not allowed to eat any animal that eats other animals... the only exception being anything from the sea.

Not quite--some RIVER/LAKE creatures (such as crawfish, a crustacean) that eat other animals (or offal) are also allowed in halal but not Levitical/Kosher.

That is debatable... some say from any body of water is OK and others say it has to specifically be from the sea.

That is debatable... some say from any body of water is OK and others say it has to specifically be from the sea.

But not debatable that scale-less fish can be halal but not kosher/Levitical. :P

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

Filed: Timeline

But not debatable that scale-less fish can be halal but not kosher/Levitical. :P

I believe in my first comment on this I stated that most kosher is halal but not all halal is kosher :thumbs:

I believe in my first comment on this I stated that most kosher is halal but not all halal is kosher :thumbs:

Didn't see your comment on it when I added my own (somewhat overdetailed) one in response to mawilson.

(but then, I didn't bother searching for it either).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hey JP..I wana ask you a question and I hope you wont be offended or take it the wrong way...it is more for my curiousity...but correct me if I am wrong you are Jordanian and raised in the USA right? or no? I was wondering being Christian arabe... does your family eat pork here in the US? I hope you donnot take this the wrong way...cos I donnot intend it badly...but I am so curious... I mean I was Catholic before converting...and ate pork...my family(who I have not lived with since 9yrs eats)...I donnot eat pork now of course, but when I do rarely visit with them, and they eat pork..I dont get all oooo yuk..haraaaaaam! and such with them...I just politely say sorry i dont eat pork anymore... Also I am curious how Christians in the ME (since I have never been in the ME) deal with pork... for some reason I think there is no pork there...but I could be wrong... I am mainly curious but also trying to think of how to resolve a mini issue I have with my husband: he says he will only eat halal food (which is great) but will also refuse to eat anything that my family might prepare (meat) unless it is halal...and there is pork present then he will just run away... any suggestions? I mean they know I donnot eat pork, my family I mean and they respect that...but I think if my husband made such a big deal about it with them...they would really dislike him... Note: in my native country halal meat is NOT really availible also my husband has not been out of NA so he has NO idea how life is outside of NA...he seems to think that being Muslim and/or obeying all laws of our religion and any other religion is soooo easy...(anyway sorry that was off topic of my question....

We eat halal sometimes. We tried to more during Ramadan. I don't think halal meat tastes as good (beef I mean, chicken is the same), but Wadi thinks it tastes better, of course. Anyone else notice a difference?

I think halal mean does taste alot better. There is a specific word to decsribe the taste of non-halal meat in arabic but I don't know what it translates to in english, maybe someone else would know? It's Zinikh. :lol:

My fiance eats halal meat only because thats all they have in Jordan, everything is halal and I have a feeling he is gonna tell me the meat tastes funny here when he comes. :lol:

What's Halal? Is that Arab for "Kosher"?

I'm not sure what kosher means in that language but halal is basically "allowed" in Arabic.

In "that language" kosher means "right, proper".

Is there a difference between Kosher food and Halal food?

If the two are not the same, which one's more restrictive?

Is Halal Kosher or Kosher Halal?

What language is "kosher"? Hebrew?

There is a difference in kosher and halal... for the most part (maybe always--is alcohol forbidden in kosher too?) kosher is halal but halal is not always kosher ;)

Kosher is the way the food is prepared and not eating and mixing certain foods togeher. Halal meat is prayed on and slaughtered. In both ways, I believe the blood is drained out of the animal before it is sold.

I was wondering the same thing. But we always have Thanksgiving at my dad's, and he never cooks Halal. The first time he had halal meat he said that it tasted so good and asked where we got it. When we told him he was shocked and said that he might have to start going there if ACME doesn't bring any better tasting meat. :lol: I love my dad! If you find out about halal turkey, let me know so I can bring it up to my dad.

My mom tries so hard to accomodate my religious beliefs :luv: she had a "pig-pickin" a few months ago and when we got there she had chicken for me and my kids as well as seperate bowls of vegetarian baked beans and green beans (both without the bacon so common in the south).

I don't think I tell her that I love her enough... I'm gonna call her as soon as I get home and remind her (L)

Snaps I finally got my mother to try halal meat after many yrs...she agreed it tasted alot better...but still to this day she wont give up pork (even for the health reasons)...She was very good for a long time about pork,halal food...but lately goes out of her way to put pork in all the dishes when we *rarely* visit her....Snaps when I go back to the USA I will be with her for a while...
What's Halal? Is that Arab for "Kosher"?

Not exactly, though close.

1. Levitical: as per the book of Leviticus; permitted meats (from cud-chewing cloven-hoof animals; certain birds--not including carrion-birds or birds-of-prey such as raven, seagull, osprey, eagle; locusts/grasshoppers; fish with SCALES AND FINS--disallowing catfish, eel and sturgeon). It is noticeable that the list FORBIDS crustaceans and shellfish (as well as pork). Also forbidden in Levitical diet is the body-fat of hoofed animals (generally ox, goat or sheep; water-buffalo and deer can also be included)
  2. Kosher: subset of Levitical, disallowing mixing (or even having in same meal) of dairy and meat products--so no cheeseburger, meat-korma (korma gravy contains yoghurt) or cream-sauced
  3. halal: as Levitical, forbids pork. But crustaceans and shellfish allowed, as well as "permitted" animal body-fat

(note: not providing link as reading through food laws in Leviticus is rather tedious)

However, we got gypped the time we bought halal lamb.

They cut the piece from the lamb (without trimming the fat first), weighed and priced it. When I asked to have the fat trimmed, the assistants were only too glad (as they managed to get a free meal at my expense).

I dont know if you really got gypped. Thats how I normally buy lamb. I usually point to the part I want and trim it at home. They actually sell lamb trimmings as well. Its the same thing when I buy meat and ask them to debone it. They weight it with the bone.

Maybe wouldn't have been if I'd allowed the fat to be taken home (Pras had wanted to search for gonkura, which we didn't find--claiming the fat went well with it; I stuck to Levitical rule and disallowed it).

As for the bone--well, many curries taste better if prepared with bones in. When we want boneless, it's almost always chicken--for biryani (in which case we just buy boneless breast or thigh).

Sometimes I ask for the bone to be removed in a leg of lamb. We actually grind our own meat at home and it just is easier for us this way. I have never asked to take it home though. There have been times when I have asked my butcher for some bones and they have given them to me free of charge.

As far as taking the fat home, I guess most people would be under the assumption that if you are asking for it to be removed then you really don't want it. Which I guess may or may not have been the case.

Yuk I hate when people here put pieces of mutton fat in the soup....yuk...very bad taste and smell of mutton fat!

Hey JP..I wana ask you a question and I hope you wont be offended or take it the wrong way...it is more for my curiousity...but correct me if I am wrong you are Jordanian and raised in the USA right? or no? I was wondering being Christian arabe... does your family eat pork here in the US? I hope you donnot take this the wrong way...cos I donnot intend it badly...but I am so curious... I mean I was Catholic before converting...and ate pork...my family(who I have not lived with since 9yrs eats)...I donnot eat pork now of course, but when I do rarely visit with them, and they eat pork..I dont get all oooo yuk..haraaaaaam! and such with them...I just politely say sorry i dont eat pork anymore... Also I am curious how Christians in the ME (since I have never been in the ME) deal with pork... for some reason I think there is no pork there...but I could be wrong... I am mainly curious but also trying to think of how to resolve a mini issue I have with my husband: he says he will only eat halal food (which is great) but will also refuse to eat anything that my family might prepare (meat) unless it is halal...and there is pork present then he will just run away... any suggestions? I mean they know I donnot eat pork, my family I mean and they respect that...but I think if my husband made such a big deal about it with them...they would really dislike him... Note: in my native country halal meat is NOT really availible also my husband has not been out of NA so he has NO idea how life is outside of NA...he seems to think that being Muslim and/or obeying all laws of our religion and any other religion is soooo easy...(anyway sorry that was off topic of my question

I can answer some of your questions.

It would be unlikely for Christian Arabs to eat pork, as it is not customary to raise hogs in ME. Even in India, the vast majority of Christians (the exceptions being in some districts of Kerala and the Northeastern "7 sisters") don't consume it (and many do not even consume beef, but prefer chicken or lamb).

A solution for your hubby: if there are vegetarian items present in a meal, he can take those. As for "ok but not certified halal meats", hard to answer.

Filed: Other Timeline
I'm sorry. Are you Californian? Did I offend you? If so I'm sorry. :(

I was teasing, but I have to say, I couldn't live anywhere else. I guess most everyone is attached to the place they are born, though.

Edited by peezey

How can one claim God cares to judge a fornicator over judging a lying, conniving bully? I guess you would if you are the lying, conniving bully.

the long lost pillar: belief in angels

she may be fat but she's not 50

found by the crass patrol

"poisoned by a jew" sounds like a Borat song

If you bring up the truth, you're a PSYCHOPATH, life lesson #442.

Timeline

Well Cali is Cali :lol: I can offer no explaination for anything that goes on there :whistle:

oh my, especially the things like Google & Yahoo...totally unexplainable! :P

I'm sorry. Are you Californian? Did I offend you? If so I'm sorry. :(

I'm Californian! :star::thumbs: Cali rocks! :luv:

Ye Cali does rock! Are you NorCal or SoCal JP?
Hey JP..I wana ask you a question and I hope you wont be offended or take it the wrong way...it is more for my curiousity...but correct me if I am wrong you are Jordanian and raised in the USA right? or no? I was wondering being Christian arabe... does your family eat pork here in the US? I hope you donnot take this the wrong way...cos I donnot intend it badly...but I am so curious... I mean I was Catholic before converting...and ate pork...my family(who I have not lived with since 9yrs eats)...I donnot eat pork now of course, but when I do rarely visit with them, and they eat pork..I dont get all oooo yuk..haraaaaaam! and such with them...I just politely say sorry i dont eat pork anymore... Also I am curious how Christians in the ME (since I have never been in the ME) deal with pork... for some reason I think there is no pork there...but I could be wrong... I am mainly curious but also trying to think of how to resolve a mini issue I have with my husband: he says he will only eat halal food (which is great) but will also refuse to eat anything that my family might prepare (meat) unless it is halal...and there is pork present then he will just run away... any suggestions? I mean they know I donnot eat pork, my family I mean and they respect that...but I think if my husband made such a big deal about it with them...they would really dislike him... Note: in my native country halal meat is NOT really availible also my husband has not been out of NA so he has NO idea how life is outside of NA...he seems to think that being Muslim and/or obeying all laws of our religion and any other religion is soooo easy...(anyway sorry that was off topic of my question

I can answer some of your questions.

It would be unlikely for Christian Arabs to eat pork, as it is not customary to raise hogs in ME. Even in India, the vast majority of Christians (the exceptions being in some districts of Kerala and the Northeastern "7 sisters") don't consume it (and many do not even consume beef, but prefer chicken or lamb).

A solution for your hubby: if there are vegetarian items present in a meal, he can take those. As for "ok but not certified halal meats", hard to answer.

Thanks Cherry!

I was really wondering about my husband cos my family knows he does not eat pork as I dont...and I pray they can and will respect that...but I dont want my husband making them feel strange... so i was just trying to a solution...

OK, I fudged Q.2...there should be "whenever it's possilbe" as my DH and I can't get to the halal market all the time.

:blush:

WBhW.jpgbunbuntdg20060306_-8_Amira%20is.png

REMOVING CONDITIONS

6/30/07 - Mailed I-751 via Priority Mail with Delivery notification

7/02/07 - Delivered to USCIS in Laguna Niguel,CA

7/07/07 - CSC returns I-751 packet because we used an older I-751 version. Mailed I-751 with latest(02/07) version via Priority Mail with delivery notification

7/09/07 - Deliverd to USCIS

7/10/07 - NOA date

7/12/07 - USCIS cashes check

7/21/07 - NOA received(GC extended for one year)

7/24/07 - Biometrics notice received

8/10/07 - Biometrics appointment in W. LA

8/28/07 - Card production ordered

8/29/07 - Approval notice received online

8/30/07 - Approval notice recieved in mail

9/04/07 - 10 yr GC received in mail

Timeline
OK, I fudged Q.2...there should be "whenever it's possilbe" as my DH and I can't get to the halal market all the time.

Huh? Sorry my Net lingo is off or something but the snaps is Q.2 and DH? SOrry for sounding ignorant!

Huh? Sorry my Net lingo is off or something but the snaps is Q.2 and DH? SOrry for sounding ignorant!

My husband is here in the US. We get to the halal market when we get to the halal market. There is no "whenever is possible" on Q.2 for him...only yes, no, he does now, i don't know. I said YES, but it's really between Yes, and No...therefore, the "FUDGE". Not exactly true, but not exactly false. :whistle:

Christine

WBhW.jpgbunbuntdg20060306_-8_Amira%20is.png

REMOVING CONDITIONS

6/30/07 - Mailed I-751 via Priority Mail with Delivery notification

7/02/07 - Delivered to USCIS in Laguna Niguel,CA

7/07/07 - CSC returns I-751 packet because we used an older I-751 version. Mailed I-751 with latest(02/07) version via Priority Mail with delivery notification

7/09/07 - Deliverd to USCIS

7/10/07 - NOA date

7/12/07 - USCIS cashes check

7/21/07 - NOA received(GC extended for one year)

7/24/07 - Biometrics notice received

8/10/07 - Biometrics appointment in W. LA

8/28/07 - Card production ordered

8/29/07 - Approval notice received online

8/30/07 - Approval notice recieved in mail

9/04/07 - 10 yr GC received in mail

Timeline

My husband is here in the US. We get to the halal market when we get to the halal market. There is no "whenever is possible" on Q.2 for him...only yes, no, he does now, i don't know. I said YES, but it's really between Yes, and No...therefore, the "FUDGE". Not exactly true, but not exactly false. :whistle:

Christine

Ahhh I see ok...thanks for clearing that up...me so tarded! :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.