kev_n_jena

Banking In The Philippines

20 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice and first I will tell you our situation.

In June of 2011, while we were vacationing in The Philippines, my wife opened a savings account at China Bank. The main reason she did this was so that a relative could make deposits for a loan that she gave them. We were supposed to be able to check the balance online in the states.

Our first problem was trying to check the balance while on a Virgin Mobile broadband internet connection. We couldn't get through and were blocked. The next time we tried from my internet service at work and we were able to get through to the server but she forgot the password! We tried 3 different passwords and then the account was "locked" from internet access. We've talked to people at the bank several times and they tell us to get a new password we need to show up in person. Well, that won't happen until late 2013 and I'm hoping the account will still be open by that time.

In the meantime the relative continues to make deposits so I assume the account is still open.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can check her balance? With all the fraud these days I don't blame the bank for requiring an in person appearance with picture ID.

Is there a better bank to open an account with next time?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some of it is beyond my expertise but I have read that it has to do with your IP address but there is some type of service that changes your IP address to hide where your at. There is a way around it.

If they've locked your account down and they require an in person appearance, you're kind of stuck. There is no way to view it once an account is locked down. The problem is in their methods to unlock it. Don't expect them to budge on that. I'm not sure if you've been able to move up the line to a manager, but if you can talk with someone in authority, maybe they'll understand an be able to unlock the account for you. The Philippines way of doing business is not via phone or internet, its still mainly based on in face transactions.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

If they've locked your account down and they require an in person appearance, you're kind of stuck. There is no way to view it once an account is locked down. The problem is in their methods to unlock it. Don't expect them to budge on that. I'm not sure if you've been able to move up the line to a manager, but if you can talk with someone in authority, maybe they'll understand an be able to unlock the account for you. The Philippines way of doing business is not via phone or internet, its still mainly based on in face transactions.

Our only fear is that if the account has no activity for a certain amount of time they might just close it. I don't know what the law is on dormant accounts.

Kev n Jena

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

I am no expert, but the website says that the bank has been receiving some phishing emails. http://www.chinabank.ph/personal/. My family uses PNB and we have no problems with the accounts. the password can be changed online. I wish you luck. Let us know if you figure out what you to do. Thanks!

1/18/2013 - Married

3/5/2013 - Filed AOS, EAD & AP

3/7/2013 - USCIS Chicago rec'd applications

3/12/2013 - USCIS sends NOA1 email

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I use Bank of the Philippine Islands. You can open one by going to one of their Remittance Centers over here in US. You need to send somebody in Philippines to pick up the ATM card though. I gave my mom an authorization letter and she picked out the PIN as well. Then, she gave me the card. The good thing about BPI is that if your account has been locked, you may wait for 24 days and then you can try again. I also use the remittance center to send money to my bank account to BPI and then I can easily transfer money online to another BPI account. I can also check the balances and get e-statements. When I need to take out money from my BPI PH account, I just used a Bank of America ATM. There was a $2.00 charge from what I recall.

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

... most of the philipine banks have a dormancy period of 2 years ...

... if there is no activity within 2 years, they deduct a monthly service charge ...

... other banks, upon request, can mail you monthly bank statements ...

... suggest you inquire from your bank directly any other possibilities ...

... chinabank is one of the philippine banks that are currently stable ...

... you may want to try banco de oro (BDO), metrobank (MBTC)and bank of the philippine islands (BPI)...

... hope this helps ...

Our only fear is that if the account has no activity for a certain amount of time they might just close it. I don't know what the law is on dormant accounts.

Edited by th and jv

AOS journey

31 March 2011 - Mailed thru USPS (AOS/EAD/AP)

03 April 2011 - NOA (AOS/EAD/AP)

18 April 2011 - successful walk-in biometrics

21 April 2011 - NOA (AOS transfer to CSC)

25 May 2011 - EAD/AP approved

04 June 2011 - EAD/AP combo card received

16 June 2011 - AOS/GC approved

22 June 2011 - GC received by mail

3r4r2ij8einw7.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice and first I will tell you our situation.

In June of 2011, while we were vacationing in The Philippines, my wife opened a savings account at China Bank. The main reason she did this was so that a relative could make deposits for a loan that she gave them. We were supposed to be able to check the balance online in the states.

Our first problem was trying to check the balance while on a Virgin Mobile broadband internet connection. We couldn't get through and were blocked. The next time we tried from my internet service at work and we were able to get through to the server but she forgot the password! We tried 3 different passwords and then the account was "locked" from internet access. We've talked to people at the bank several times and they tell us to get a new password we need to show up in person. Well, that won't happen until late 2013 and I'm hoping the account will still be open by that time.

In the meantime the relative continues to make deposits so I assume the account is still open.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can check her balance? With all the fraud these days I don't blame the bank for requiring an in person appearance with picture ID.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hello,

Did you use bancnetonline.com to check your china bank balance? The password for that is your 6 digit ATM card PIN. It is not the same with other banks like BPI and BDO wherein you need to nominate a password. Maybe you can try again using a different internet connection/IP address? If your wife still remembers her atm PIN. Since it uses PIN, it is usually impossible to change it by phone unlike BDO and BPI wherein you can just call them and after answering specific questions that would assure them that you are the account holder, you can nominate another password thereby allowing you to do onlinebanking from anywhere.

Also, an account will not be closed as long as it has funds in it still but it will be charged a dormant fee but you said your relatives do deposits in that account so in that case i guess it won't be charged a dormant fee. Your wife's account will surely remain active until your visit next year :)

Hello,

Did you use bancnetonline.com to check your china bank balance? The password for that is your 6 digit ATM card PIN. It is not the same with other banks like BPI and BDO wherein you need to nominate a password. Maybe you can try again using a different internet connection/IP address? If your wife still remembers her atm PIN. Since it uses PIN, it is usually impossible to change it by phone unlike BDO and BPI wherein you can just call them and after answering specific questions that would assure them that you are the account holder, you can nominate another password thereby allowing you to do onlinebanking from anywhere.

Also, an account will not be closed as long as it has funds in it still but it will be charged a dormant fee but you said your relatives do deposits in that account so in that case i guess it won't be charged a dormant fee. Your wife's account will surely remain active until your visit next year :)

Thanks for your reply, the account is a savings account and she was not issued an ATM card. If we are lucky the account will still be active next year when we visit since there is still activity on the account.

Kev n Jena

Philippines banking is terrible you are better off to send them moneygram if you want to send money to avoid the issues

07-24-2009 Received NOA1
08-05-2009 Touched
10-02-2009 I-797C for Biometrics Appt
10-26-2009 Biometrics Appt. Completed
05-11-2010 Request for Evidence on both the I129F and I130
07-01-2010 Case Transferred to Vermont Service Center
10-20-2011 Contacted Ombudsman
02-07-2012 Case denied after almost 3 years =(
03-07-2012 Appeal Filed!
01-20-2013 Contacted Ombudsman again...

06-25-2013 EOIR Appeal Review

Visit my blog at http://goo.gl/ON4wG/

atckcgod5n.png

Philippines banking is terrible you are better off to send them moneygram if you want to send money to avoid the issues

If you read my original post you will see why we opened the account.

Kev n Jena

We have BDO and we haven't encountered any major issues except for the usual lag from the tellers because they'd rather 'giggle around' in the back when the line is all the way back to the entrance door.

Good luck!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

One stipulation we must make when considering a new Philippine bank is that it must have a branch in Catarman, N. Samar or preferably Laoang, N. Samar. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to make deposits from Laoang to a Philippine bank right now without incurring large expenses. Most of Jena's relatives don't have any experience with banks so I'm kind of on my own when trying to set this up.

There is a "M Lhuhillier" down the street from Jena's relatives, maybe they can deposit from there?

Kev n Jena

you may want to try Banco de Oro (BDO). we have an account there and my husband uses online banking to transfer money from there and have been locked many times but all we do is call the customer service and they just verify the identity so we can reset the password. good Luck.

you may want to try Banco de Oro (BDO). we have an account there and my husband uses online banking to transfer money from there and have been locked many times but all we do is call the customer service and they just verify the identity so we can reset the password. good Luck.

Thanks, unfortunately I think the nearest branch is in Catbalogan which is too far. I think these are our choices:

Philippine National Bank

China Banking Corporation

City Savings Bank

First Consolidated Bank

Edited by kev_n_jena

Kev n Jena

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.