Kelvin Ebose

i was denied the visa at the lagos embassy in Nigeria.

47 posts in this topic

i went to the embassy yesterday ,i was denied the visa at the lagos embassy in Nigeria....

Consulate:This is the letter they gave to me ..This Office regrets to inform you that it is uable to issue a visa to you because you have failed to convince the consular officer that your relationship with the petitioner is Bona fide ..You case will remain pending under section 221(g) of the immigration and nationality act while it is return to the national visa center for their review ..When their review is complete,they will contact the petitioner who will then have the opportunity to respond.. If the case is reaffirmed,we will contact you to set up a new appiontment date..If the case is not reaffirmed,the petitioner will be notified and the national visa center will close the case

Please do anyone know how long it will take for the case to be forwarded back to National Visa Center,and do we have to continue with the K1 visa or my finacee can come down for the marriage here or she can come for the second time..Please somebody should advice please...Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you can tell us what happened during the interview, so we can help maybe help troubleshoot what you guys should do next. I know in the past you talked about age difference was that an issue during your interview? what types of questions were they asking? Simply getting married or refiling is not going to magically make those issues going away. Some will advise you to get married, but you can still get denied after marriage.

Thank you very much for your response.. Anyway they only ask me few question like if you have meet your finacee before,was ur future plans with her,i told them i am going there for the marriage first and then my finacee want me back to school and also be working so i can been taken care of her when he retire ,but for now nothing yet than to get married first before we know the next step.. So she came up with my email address ,she said why is my email address not related to my name ,so i think that was where the problem came from..She never ask me of the age or anything ... so she said why is the email on another name,i told her someone helped me register the hotmail account and because my fiancee don't know how to use the yahoo messenger,so i decide to be talking to with her on msn were we can see each other on cam ....so she said hold and went to meet another consulate,when she came back,she typed something on the computer and gave me back my passport and a sheet of papper ... She didn't sign on it and she put the wrong date ..I went there yesterday Novermber 8 and she put of the Reject papper as November 7th ..so please was ur advice?? do u think when my finacee comes once more ,will it be better ??please addvice please

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I would like to chip in one advise here. when the CO asked whats your future plan, you don't need to talk much so as for you not to complicate yourself. short and genuine answer is enough. for example, if the CO ask me such questions. i would only say, my future plan is to get married , have a lovely kids ,always be there for my hubby and to grow old together till we die. that is all. but when you said to send u back to school,bla bla and so on it complicates matter. remember this in your next interview, be it spousal or any kind of visa. but for me, I would advise you to get married and then apply for CR-1 Spousal, because i have read about people who got denied on K1 and got married and then got approved for their spousal visa

Timeline

And also regarding the email address thing, then you have to correct that,, open another email on your name and any thing you may think as an hindrance, you need to start fixing them prior to your next interview maybe for the K1 or the Spousal visa.

thank u ...God bless u.......But i my finacee want to come ,spend like another one week and go back,we are planing for mock marriage because she want the wedding to take place there because of her family who cannot come to Nigeria and she want the marriage very big over there and she said she dont want a court house wedding .... so she said she will come ,then we can do mock wedding were my families and friends can come and we do little party.... Then we can have more pic ... Regarding the issue of her having kids is cancelled because she can't have kids any more,so she said she wants us to adopt one... so can i just answer the Co mthat my future plan is to get married and always be there for my hubby and to grow old together till we die ...Short and simple!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Do NOT do a mock wedding , it will cause so much problem. They will deny the second visa.

Is there a big age difference between you ?

I think the CO worried about the email because some women get hit up by romance scammers ( people that create profiles on dating sites as well off people with lots of issues that require money to fix) Some of these deluded souls will still stay in "love" with the scammer when they say ''' I have to confess I am not a white man stuck in Africa but a african and I feel so bad for taking your money , I love you" and then petition for the scammer to come. To the CO your email having another name hinted that you fell into this group. You need to be vary careful to cover your relationship next time.

Getting married is not the cure. The second more complete petition is. Second petitions rarely result in denial. Yes she should visit again and stay for a longer time.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

I am not sure what you mean by "mock" marriage but unless you are legally married DONT file for I130 and dont show any pictures of a wedding in the application or the interview. That will not get you approved and could get you banned... There is no reason why you cant get married there and re affirm your vows in the states. However you have some issues to overcome and address. The age differene and not haveing children will definetly be one the two of you need to have solid answers on. Telling them you are going to school to take care of her when she retires probably wasnt the best answer either. If you dont have any kids of your own they are not going to let you off easy on that subject you are really going to have to prove your relationship is strong and real. You cant have anything weak. Maybe she could come and spend some time there with you if possible more than a week or 2. Dont use other peoples saying use the truth. What are your plans??? Get married, build a future... Time together and how much you communicate and are involved in each others day to day and finances are big indications of a true relationship. Good luck..

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Yes short and simple and it would be nice if she spends more time with you whenever she come to Nigeria for example 3 weeks or more. and as others have said, yes to build future together. i wish you best of luck

Timeline

thank u ...God bless u.......But i my finacee want to come ,spend like another one week and go back,we are planing for mock marriage because she want the wedding to take place there because of her family who cannot come to Nigeria and she want the marriage very big over there and she said she dont want a court house wedding .... so she said she will come ,then we can do mock wedding were my families and friends can come and we do little party.... Then we can have more pic ... Regarding the issue of her having kids is cancelled because she can't have kids any more,so she said she wants us to adopt one... so can i just answer the Co mthat my future plan is to get married and always be there for my hubby and to grow old together till we die ...Short and simple!!!!!

I

I agree with the person who said do not do a mock wedding. As it stands now, from your above discussions, you haven't convinced me as to the validity of your relationship and im not even a co. You should be more certain of your future plans and not ask people what to say, just say the truth and be real. Honesty has a way of showing through. Be realistic in your answers, dont use phrases that will sound so alien to you and raise eyebrows or even seem memorized. I think I overheard certain parts of your interview and I remember being scared and hoping I didn't draw the same lady you did, but I eventually did and it was quick and painless for me

Don't mock anything. A court wedding is over in less than 15 minuites, very easy to do. It's basically just signing some papers and it makes you legally married. So no matter how much your fiancée might not want to do a court wedding, it might be the easiest thing for the both of you to do, in order to file the 1-130. Take pictures diring the ceremony. Then after the wedding you can have a tiny reception and take all those pictures you mentioned earlier. Then when you get to the states, you can have the big celebration you both want where you reaffirm your vows.

Wish you all the best.

Filed: Timeline

The email address was also something that tripped up my Fiancee at her interview.

Its idiotic for he CO to use that against applicants in my humble opinion.

I set up email account for her in the hopes of getting her to be able to go to cyber cafes to use emails. She was asked if she had an email account, she said not. I have told this Woman a hundred times about email account bless her heart and she actually uses the email address to log onto her FaceBook account.

Perhaps it was the pressure of the interview process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thank you very much for your response.. Anyway they only ask me few question like if you have meet your finacee before,was ur future plans with her,i told them i am going there for the marriage first and then my finacee want me back to school and also be working so i can been taken care of her when he retire ,but for now nothing yet than to get married first before we know the next step.. So she came up with my email address ,she said why is my email address not related to my name ,so i think that was where the problem came from..She never ask me of the age or anything ... so she said why is the email on another name,i told her someone helped me register the hotmail account and because my fiancee don't know how to use the yahoo messenger,so i decide to be talking to with her on msn were we can see each other on cam ....so she said hold and went to meet another consulate,when she came back,she typed something on the computer and gave me back my passport and a sheet of papper ... She didn't sign on it and she put the wrong date ..I went there yesterday Novermber 8 and she put of the Reject papper as November 7th ..so please was ur advice?? do u think when my finacee comes once more ,will it be better ??please addvice please

I am very perplexed by this statement. You know how to register for yahoo messenger but because your fiancee doesn't know (hard to believe, all you need is an e-mail address and she apparently knows how to register for MSN)you had someone "help" you register for hotmail but didn't use your name? There is absolutely no way in the world you could make that make sense. Given Nigeria's problems with the internet, I reckon that statement sealed your fate and may be a problem in the future.

Timeline

Everybody said it all. People don't realize the delivery in your answers are so important. If I was a CO and someone said to work so she can retire and I take care of her. Sounds like a setup. Not a love connection. You do not have to mention "she can't have kids or she doesn't want them" are you kidding.

You said adopt, if "what are your plans for children" we plan to have children in the future. You probably talked way too much off the path and distracted from the facts.

And dear nigerians are denied everyday for having a traditional wedding because the enbassy consideres that Married. "Mock wedding" what is that?

Wish you the best but it's time to reload and do it again right.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

I am very perplexed by this statement. You know how to register for yahoo messenger but because your fiancee doesn't know (hard to believe, all you need is an e-mail address and she apparently knows how to register for MSN)you had someone "help" you register for hotmail but didn't use your name? There is absolutely no way in the world you could make that make sense. Given Nigeria's problems with the internet, I reckon that statement sealed your fate and may be a problem in the future.

Nigerians fall into 2 classes , those that are very compture literate and those that aren't. My husband was in the second class. He had no reason to use a computer in his life in Nigeria and created an email for talking to his uncle and myself eventually. When he arrived he had never created a facebook account and didn't understand the "woman" chasing his from the dating site spam. We tend to forget the whole world isn't stored online. My own mother only got online once in her life, with my son showing her at her local library shortly before she passed on.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Nigerians fall into 2 classes , those that are very compture literate and those that aren't. My husband was in the second class. He had no reason to use a computer in his life in Nigeria and created an email for talking to his uncle and myself eventually. When he arrived he had never created a facebook account and didn't understand the "woman" chasing his from the dating site spam. We tend to forget the whole world isn't stored online. My own mother only got online once in her life, with my son showing her at her local library shortly before she passed on.

Those classes are not unique to Nigeria. My father, a retired university professor in the US has never used a computer and never will. The books he has written are done long hand. My mother still cannot attach photos to her e-mails while my wife from SEA with only a minimal education knows heaps more about computers than I ever will and schools me regualrly on stuff. My comment was based more on the fact the story seemed like nonsense that based on the fact his fiancee could get on MSN but not yahoo the OP had a friend help register "his" account on msn so when the CO checked into the e-mail address it came back to someone else's name. That sounds more than a little fishy to me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.