Thinking751

Address of Residence Question

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to look at this. Thanks especially to those who have informed feedback to give.

My wife (who is Japanese) and I (an American) met in China. When we came to America--her with her green card--we temporarily lived at my parents' place. After a few months, we got our own apartment. She heard that it was a good idea not to change her address with the Department of Homeland Security, etc., because this would somehow help her when she came to the point of Removing Conditions. My parents live nearby--even the same city--so I thought it was no big deal. Now our various evidences for our marriage, financial documents, etc., have our real address on them.

We are going to file to Remove Conditions later this month.

Is it worth updating her address with Homeland Security now, having lived her more than a year? Any other thoughts?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, it's a good idea - and it's actually required that you let them know when you move. It shouldn't matter that you moved over a year ago, just make sure to do it now.

Here's the link to be able to do it online: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa.Terms

It doesn't matter that you have moved during the process. Also, there is no advantage for having had only one address other than avoiding any potential issues with mail delivery. It's less of an issue if you have not filed for anything recently and are not expecting mail from USCIS.

Hope this helps.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

technically you are supposed to notify them withing 10 TEN days of your move, also the sponsor who filled out the i-864 needs to advise them as well withing 30 days using form i-865. Otherwise you risk your residency.

here is the uscis link stating the time frame you have to notify them and DOHS.

http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

as for multiple addresses its not problem, just attach a supplemental sheet with your name a# and question number, and detail where when how long you lived at each address.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.