SteveKarlaMayer

Relatives in the USA can cause Visa denial????

21 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone! Here I am again with a question.

Is it true that if the CO ask you if you have relatives in the USA and you would answer 'Yes' could be a possibly result your visa to be denied? I know this sounds insane but I have heard few of my friends who said it's true. This gave me a scar again since I have 2 cousins in the USA. :-S

Any response would be highly appreciated.

God bless everyone! Xoxo

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your paths straight.

In GOD we trust. † = ♥

It's sort of true, but it makes sense. If a person has a bunch of relatives in the US, it could be that they are in a fake marriage just so they can reunite their family (say, their parents and all their siblings live in the US). I think having a couple of cousins is not likely to be an issue at all. There are no secret tricks to getting a visa to the US. You just have to show that your relationship is real and tell the truth. The case is judges on the totality of the circumstances, not on a secret "gotcha."

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If the Consul asks for something, you are obliged to answer it.

Remember, you are under oath so everything you say (truth or not) may or may not work to your advantage.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Yes you have to be honest, but I wouldn't stress too much over it. I would think it would only probably make a difference in a borderline case and/or high fraud country where they are already suspicious, especially with just a couple of cousins. I was nervous because my husband has a brother here illegally, but they never even asked about him (beyond the question on the form).

ALFREDO KIDS

2009-12-10: Met 2013-7-23: Filed I-130
2010-9-29: Engaged 2013-7-26: NOA1
2011-5-31: Filed I-129 2014-1-22 (2 of them), 2014-1-28 (1 of them): NOA2
2011-6-6: NOA1 2014-2-08 (2 of them) 2014-2-14 (1 of them): NVC received packet
2011-10-18: NOA2 2014-3-19 (2 of them), 2013-2-25 (1 of them): AOS fee bill generated
2011-10-26: Left NVC 2014-3-26: DS-261 filed, called for cases to be re-linked since one was
2011-10-31: Consulate received separated from the others to only pay one AOS fee
2011-12-1: Interview 2014-3-27: Cases are linked, paid AOS fee
2011-12-20: Visa received 2014-3-28: IV fees generated, paid
2011-12-27: Entered US 2014-4-1: Fees listed as paid
2012-1-20: Married 2014-4-2: AOS and IV packages sent
2012-1-23: Filed AOS/EAD 2014-4-3: DS-260 filled out
2012-1-27: AOS/EAD NOA 2014-4-4: Packages received by NVC

2012-2-6: Biometrics (appointment scheduled 2-14, but we had a trip 2014-4-25: Got checklist for AOS paperwork (they didn't actually want my

planned then and showed up early, they allowed it). income/his income where indicated on 864/864a, they wanted our
2012-3-26: EAD approval combined income for each, even though that's not what it says and
2012-3-29: AOS Interview and approval makes no sense whatsoever, also must put N/A in residence on
2012-4-2: EAD received 864a even though it says that nowhere and on 864 specifically says
2012-4-7: Greencard received to not use N/A but leave blank)

2013-12-31: Filed I-751 2014-4-26: Sent new AOS forms

2014-1-6: NOA1 2014-4-28: Package received by NVC

2014-1-31: Biometrics 2014-5-23: Told case complete over phone

2014-4-17: Approval 2014-5-29: Received case complete emails

2014-4-23: 10yr Green Card received 2014-5-31: Received interview date

2014-7-14: Interview

2014-7-24: Packets/Passports/Visas arrived at DHL (but tracking never said "waiting for pickup", on US website said "in transit", only found out by calling DHL in Ecuador)

2014-8-13: Entered US

Is it true that if the CO ask you if you have relatives in the USA and you would answer 'Yes' could be a possibly result your visa to be denied? I know this sounds insane but I have heard few of my friends who said it's true. This gave me a scar again since I have 2 cousins in the USA. :-S

God bless everyone! Xoxo

I think this is more true if you apply for a tourist visa, but I strongly believe that it won't matter with K1 and family type visa. You just make sure that you gather enough evidence to prove that your relationship with your fiance is authentic and your fiance's income is within or above the income needed to support you, you should be fine. There are a lot of K1 applicants who has family in the US and got approved. I have a cousin in the west coast but was not asked about it...

You guys are awesome. Thanks much for the response. :)

In GOD we trust. † = ♥

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i know many people here and your relatives and other friends are scaring you... DO NOT LIE about it.. if they ask you this question, tell them that you have cousins there.. but if they don't ask, don't give me that information. if they ask you, they probably know or could tell that you have cousins there.. so therefore, do no lie. there is strong possibility that they might not even ask .

usually they ask you about your relatives in visit visa cases, because more relatives mean, you won't come back after your visa is expired. applying for spouse is not one of those visas where this is a relevant question.

God bless everyone! Xoxo

It may cause visa denial if you are applying for a tourist Visa. With relatives in the US, it would be easier for you to remain there and not come back.

It shouldn't have any bearing on your K-1 Visa unless you fail your interview by not being able to convince the CO that you are sincere with your relationship. It would not have any bearing at all if you're applying for a CR-1 Visa (spouse) because this in itself is an immigrant visa, while a K-1 is a non-immigrant visa.

i know many people here and your relatives and other friends are scaring you... DO NOT LIE about it.. if they ask you this question, tell them that you have cousins there.. but if they don't ask, don't give me that information. if they ask you, they probably know or could tell that you have cousins there.. so therefore, do no lie. there is strong possibility that they might not even ask .

usually they ask you about your relatives in visit visa cases, because more relatives mean, you won't come back after your visa is expired. applying for spouse is not one of those visas where this is a relevant question.

:thumbs: I agree, bro. I will surely tell the truth 'if' the CO will ask me. Lying is a serious offense when applying a visa. This just gave me a scar. Anyway, I guess this question is usually for those who apply Visitor Visa like you guys said. Thanks for the time. :)

God bless you all.

In GOD we trust. † = ♥

At the time of her K-1 interview, Chinook had two sisters and their families living in the U.S. Neither the Filipino pre-screener nor the consular officer asked about them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

God bless everyone! Xoxo

Unfortunatly I have to go with yes. I live here in the US and my brother was trying to come to see his niece who he didn't see since she was born and he wants to learn about the culture here and be in my in laws you when they renew the oath again. My brother still didn't finish high school and this year is the last year, so personally I wasn't going to let him stay here. I have a sister, aunt and 2 uncles. My brother went for an interview and the lady asked him if he has any relatives. He said yes. She told him you are denied the visa. He said but i'm going with my mom and my dad, and my dad can afford to cover all of our trip. He said why did you deny me? She told him because you have a brother and a sister and they will try to make you stay and get a green card. I honetly felt so discriminated, I mean we were not even thinking about that. the kid didn't even finish high school. Anyways, it got me mad. I got depressed though for a while because I didn't see my family for 5 years and I was going to see him, but they denied it.

your case is different, you are going for an immigrant visa because you are married to a USC. They don't care about the rest of the family. They just ask to see if you are truthful.

Edited by silkafi88

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband has a brother who is a US citizen by naturalization, and that brother is our joint sponsor, my husband had no problem getting approved

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Tell the truth, and stress the importance of your individual relationship. Why you both are a stand alone family with family ties or independently dependent.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It certainly does for Visitor Visa's if you have relatives who are undocumented.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.