bestofboth

So when can I become a Yank?

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Silly question here....

I received my green card (based on marriage to a US citizen) on Feb 3, 2010 and have since applied and had my conditions removed. I read somewhere a while back that I would be eligible to apply for citizenship 3 months before the 3rd anniversary of receiving my green card, which would be Nov 3rd. However I can't find where I read this now and so I'm starting to wonder if I might be imagining things...?!

I also remember reading somewhere that it's not advisable to apply for citizenship right away - that you should give it at least a week before applying. But this doesn't really make sense to me as that would mean there is an element of subjectivity in the review process - the fact that they could reject you because you're too eager.... seems silly.

Anyway, would really appreciate if someone could help to clarify these two things for me - thanks!

09/27/05: Entered US on J1 (student)

Dec '05: When we first met

09/10/06: Returned to UK to finish Uni

10/30/07: Entered US on J1 (work)

05/12/09: Waiver granted for 1st J1 (NOS)

08/15/09: Married

09/21/09: I-485, I-130, I-765 sent

10/02/09: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, I-765

10/13/09: Biometrics (walk-in)

10/14/09: 1st RFE for I-485

11/02/09: 2nd RFE for I-485

11/16/09: EAD approved

11/23/09: EAD received

12/21/09 Interview Notice

02/03/10 Interview - Approved

02/03/10 Conditional Greencard

04/09/2012 Removal of Conditions

03/19/2013 Citizenship Interview - Approved

04/16/2013 Citizenship Oath Ceremony - YAY!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Yes- 3 years from the anniversary of your green card you can apply as long as you meet the other requirements for N-400. Look at the guide about conditions that restrict you

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=598da2f39b1ab210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=598da2f39b1ab210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

I have never seen anything about waiting- as soon as you meet the requirements become a 'yank'!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You can apply 90 days ahead of your 3 year annuversary. Do wait a week, time and time again, on this forum you find people that got their 'math' wrong and were rejected because they were off by a few datys. You have waited this long, 1 more week is not going to kill you.

N-400 5 year 2/21/2012

District Office: Hartford, CT

Mailed Date: 12/21/2011

Received Date/Piority Date: 12/23/2011

Check cleared/Notice Date: 12/28/2011

FP Notice: 1/6/2012

FP Appointment: 1/18/2012

Received Yellow Letter: 2/13/2012

In line for interview: 2/21/2012

Interview letter email received: 3/6/2012

Interview Letter: 3/9/2012

Interview Date: 4/12/2012

Oath Letter: 4/12/2012

Oath Date: 4/20/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

When the Greeks reckon time by the kalends ......

or

during a span of time that represents 90 days from the end of the 3rd year in which your first green card was issued (check it, check the date there)

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

If your card says resident since Feb 3, 2010 then you can become a Yank Feb 3, 2013 and not before. You can put in your application 90 days early, but your interview will not likely happen until close to your eligibility date of Feb 3. Then you will wait until your office schedules a naturalization ceremony where you take the oath of citizenship. On that day you will be a Yank. Some offices do same day as the interview oaths, but at others it may be the next month or longer. It depends on how the local USCIS office chooses to do it.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

As the others have said, 90 days before your 3 year greencard anniversary (NOT 3 months- it can be a few days different and they will reject you for filing even a day early).

The reason it is often suggested to file 80 days or less is not because you would be denied, but because ironically, filing right at 90 days can actually make the process longer- if your office is quick and you get biometrics and interview done well within the 90 days, ie you still have not reached the 3 year anniversary, they sometimes put your file on a "wait" pile as they cannot schedule your oath ceremony to happen before the anniversary. This can (anecdotally) add several weeks to your naturalisation. Keep in mind there is nothing forcing you to file for naturalisation- you can wait until after your anniversary or indeed, never file at all.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The advice above is accurate and excellent. However, I thought that we're referred to as "Colonists"...

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

The advice above is accurate and excellent. However, I thought that we're referred to as "Colonists"...

Not at my house. On naturalization day, the hubby mused, "Wonder what my Dad would think of me becoming a Yank?" Apparently childhood dinner table conversations stuck in his head are of Dad telling something the "Damn Yanks" were up to. And not in a happy tone of voice.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Questionable as to whether you count the day of your third anniversary or the day before, to be safe, count the day of your third anniversary, then backwards exactly 90 days, then send in your application a couple of days later. USCIS is overly critical on dates, like being a couple of days older than 18 to tailgate your mom, have to wait another couple of years.

Yank only applies to living in the northern states, if applying in the south, still have rebels down there. Never even knew I was a Yankee until I went down south. Tease my British friends about taking us back, paying off our national debt and giving us free health care. They reply, no thanks.

Yank only applies to living in the northern states, if applying in the south, still have rebels down there. Never even knew I was a Yankee until I went down south. Tease my British friends about taking us back, paying off our national debt and giving us free health care. They reply, no thanks.

Depends on where you live. To the Brits, all Americans are Yanks.

To US southerners, Yankees are those annoying smartypants northerners who don't even say "please", "thank-you", "yes Ma'am", or "no Sir". :rofl:

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Wow - thanks everyone! I'm in SoCal not sure if that counts as a "northerner" or not but yes to Brits all Americans are Yanks or "Bloody Yanks" to be more precise. :D

I shall calculate exactly 90 days before the day of my acceptance and then add a week to be safe. Haven't even started going through our dreaded evidence box yet so it's unlikely I'll even be ready to file any time before then. Yay! On my way to Yankdom :dance:

09/27/05: Entered US on J1 (student)

Dec '05: When we first met

09/10/06: Returned to UK to finish Uni

10/30/07: Entered US on J1 (work)

05/12/09: Waiver granted for 1st J1 (NOS)

08/15/09: Married

09/21/09: I-485, I-130, I-765 sent

10/02/09: NOA1 for I-485, I-130, I-765

10/13/09: Biometrics (walk-in)

10/14/09: 1st RFE for I-485

11/02/09: 2nd RFE for I-485

11/16/09: EAD approved

11/23/09: EAD received

12/21/09 Interview Notice

02/03/10 Interview - Approved

02/03/10 Conditional Greencard

04/09/2012 Removal of Conditions

03/19/2013 Citizenship Interview - Approved

04/16/2013 Citizenship Oath Ceremony - YAY!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

[fyi - YankDom is some sexual reference, so be wary when asking how to 'get there' face to face with USCitizens, aye? ]

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

Wow - thanks everyone! I'm in SoCal not sure if that counts as a "northerner" or not but yes to Brits all Americans are Yanks or "Bloody Yanks" to be more precise. :D

I shall calculate exactly 90 days before the day of my acceptance and then add a week to be safe. Haven't even started going through our dreaded evidence box yet so it's unlikely I'll even be ready to file any time before then. Yay! On my way to Yankdom :dance:

The 80-day rule is very sound. I could swear I invented this, but people are catching up quickly. There are in fact cases where you'll make it to the interview stage in less than 80 days. However, thanks to the holy days this will not happen in your case.

Now . . . the reason why I even bother to reply . . . since you brought it up, here is the list of documents you'll need regarding your evidence, and it's in compliance with the VJ guides. Many wanna-be Americans have problem with the word "OR," and since you are showing first symptoms, let me save you some unnecessary work:

Evidence needed for N-400 stage:

1) 3 years of tax transcripts (not returns).

Yes. That's it. All of it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The 80-day rule is very sound. I could swear I invented this, but people are catching up quickly. There are in fact cases where you'll make it to the interview stage in less than 80 days. However, thanks to the holy days this will not happen in your case.

Now . . . the reason why I even bother to reply . . . since you brought it up, here is the list of documents you'll need regarding your evidence, and it's in compliance with the VJ guides. Many wanna-be Americans have problem with the word "OR," and since you are showing first symptoms, let me save you some unnecessary work:

Evidence needed for N-400 stage:

1) 3 years of tax transcripts (not returns).

Yes. That's it. All of it.

The key and only person that does not know the legal definition of that word, "OR". for the three year marriage privilege is your IO. They can request any other form of evidence they so desire if they have any doubts that you are married and living together. Sponsoring US citizen spouse still has to show proof of US citizenship, proof that they are free to marry, and proof of their marriage with a marriage certificate. The applicant must also show proof they were free to marry.

Filing joint taxes is not proof you are living together, may want to see proof of either joint home ownership or a joint signed lease. Then may want to be sure you are just not applying to gain citizenship then getting a divorce, so may want to see an insurance policy listing the applicant as the beneficiary. You may be rejected if you signed a per-nuptial agreement.

Don't have to show any proof of any traffic violations under 500 bucks, but can cause further delays if you don't bring in proof you paid those fines.

In regards to bringing in evidence or lack of it, all boils down as to how many trips you want to take to your local office. You are not dealing with a board, but one individual

The key and only person that does not know the legal definition of that word, "OR". for the three year marriage privilege is your IO. They can request any other form of evidence they so desire if they have any doubts that you are married and living together. Sponsoring US citizen spouse still has to show proof of US citizenship, proof that they are free to marry, and proof of their marriage with a marriage certificate. The applicant must also show proof they were free to marry.

Filing joint taxes is not proof you are living together, may want to see proof of either joint home ownership or a joint signed lease. Then may want to be sure you are just not applying to gain citizenship then getting a divorce, so may want to see an insurance policy listing the applicant as the beneficiary. You may be rejected if you signed a per-nuptial agreement.

Don't have to show any proof of any traffic violations under 500 bucks, but can cause further delays if you don't bring in proof you paid those fines.

In regards to bringing in evidence or lack of it, all boils down as to how many trips you want to take to your local office. You are not dealing with a board, but one individual

The person who started this thread got his greencard from work. There is nothing about his marriage, divorce, or housemate to be shown.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.