jkf2112

I-130 Questions

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all. I am new here, but I am marrying my fiancé in January in Bucharest Romania. We will then be filing the I-130 for her and her two children. Will I be filling out an I-130 (and paying the applicable I-130 fees) for all three? And if so does that mean that all of them may be approved at different times and have different visa processing times? Likewise, if the children are very young will they be required to do subsequent interviews? Some of this is confusing to me.

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello all. I am new here, but I am marrying my fiancé in January in Bucharest Romania. We will then be filing the I-130 for her and her two children. Will I be filling out an I-130 (and paying the applicable I-130 fees) for all three? And if so does that mean that all of them may be approved at different times and have different visa processing times? Likewise, if the children are very young will they be required to do subsequent interviews? Some of this is confusing to me.

Thank you!

You do need to fill out a form for each person, so yes 3 forms. If I'm not remembering wrong you do pay the fee for each person you are filing for. From my own personal experience my sons and my application were processed together at the same time even though I did get two case numbers. They will need to attend the interview but they will not be asked questions on their own. My son was standing next to me during my interview and the only question he got was if he looked forward to moving to the us.

Make sure your wife has a document stating she can move the kids to the us, a consent from the kids dad or a document saying she got sole custody.

Good luck!

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Fill out forms for each person. Request all the applications be processed together(they will). They only have to attend interview if they are older then 14 years old. All will require medical regardless of age.

USCIS:

03/29/2012 - I-130 Sent

04/1/2012 - NOA1 Received

06/25/2012 - NOA2 Received (88 Days)

NVC:

07/31/2012 - Case arrived at NVC (36 Days from USCIS to NVC)

08/16/2012 - Received case #, IIN, gave e-mail addresses

08/18/2012 - E-mailed DS-3032

08/23/2012 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID

08/27/2012 - AOS bill appears as PAID

08/24/2012 - AOS Package sent

08/XX/2012 - AOS/I-864 accepted

08/23/2012 - DS-3032 accepted

08/28/2012 - IV bill invoiced & PAID

08/30/2012 - IV bill appears as PAID

08/28/2012 - IV Package sent

09/07/2012 - REF Forgot bar code cover sheet in AOS packet

09/08/2012 - Mailed REF will be there Monday Sept.10th

09/25/2012 - Case Complete

10/30/2012 - Medical in Kyiv....All good

11/27/2012 - Interview date

In AP.

01/15/2013- Call from Emb####

02/20/2013 -Denied

04/18/2013- Application sent to State Department.

08/23/2013- Talked to USCIS the application is back at USCIS and "might" review it by December.....

08/23/2013- Pissed off.

03/14/2014- Recivied notice from USCIS. Reply due 04/16/14

04/12/2014- Reply mailed 300+ pages.

04/23/2014- Reply from USCIS they received the packet.

07/07/2014- Called my Congressman to check on progress.

07/08/2014- Got a call back from Congressman aid "USCIS is working on it".

07/09/2014- Got email from USCIS that my address change had gone through. I never requested an address change. Call Congressman and USCIS. Was an error an no address change...

07/10/2014- Received email from USCIS. We are approved again. I think the call to my Congressman helped.

08/04/2014- Application received from USCIS and forwarded to Kyiv.

08/19/2014- Interview Sept.19,2014

09/19/2014- Interview Approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Fill out forms for each person. Request all the applications be processed together(they will). They only have to attend interview if they are older then 14 years old. All will require medical regardless of age.

No they have to attend the interview even if they are under 14, those were the rules in may anyway and I doubt they changed since then. Unless there are different rules for different countries but then embassy in her country will be able to inform you on how they do it.

Edited by Alaska2012

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Thank you all for the answers. I am wondering, advice-wise, are we better to file K1 instead? Our marriage will obviously be relatively short at the time of filing and CR1 takes longer, although an attorney friend of mine has seen Cr1 as short as 7mo? I have been providing financially for them for a long time so that may help? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Is there a separate form to request they are all processed together?

Also, go you know if you can pay all the fees and submit all documents immediately after I-130 is approved or do you have to wait for NVC to send you the bill/forms?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you all for the answers. I am wondering, advice-wise, are we better to file K1 instead? Our marriage will obviously be relatively short at the time of filing and CR1 takes longer, although an attorney friend of mine has seen Cr1 as short as 7mo? I have been providing financially for them for a long time so that may help? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

If you get married you can not file K-1, If you file K-1 your wait time will be shorter but, you will have to marry within 90 days, and then start your AOS, EAD,etc. which translates into about a $1,000 extra, plus, around 90 days for your fiancee to be able to get EAD plus whatever it takes for the I-485 to work its way trough USCIS,and, keep in mind she will not be able to travel outside the USA without advance parole, So, I would rounded it up to about 9 months (plus the 3 or 4 Mos. you have already waited to get the K-1). If you go the IR-1/CR-1 route, it may take you 8 or 9 mos. but, as soon a your wife goes through POE,she gets a green card. I am posting a link that may help you to make a decision.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=compare

Timeline

Romania. And thanks again.

are you a Legal resident of Romania? If you are, then it might be possible but,Countries with U.S. Consulates Which DO NOT ALLOW DCF by Non-Resident Visitor U.S. Citizens (such as Romania)as a General Rule Under Normal Circumstances. (Exception: The Consulate has Inherent Discretion to Accept DCF Processing in any given case. Thus, if after contacting the Consulate directly about your situation, and if Consulate represents that it will process your particular case DCF, then under normal circumstances you should be able to rely on the representation. Keep in mind that circumstances and representations are subject to change with little or no advance notice, and thus any reliance is ultimately at the petitioner's risk.

Timeline

Finally, does k2 visa have to apply for change of status etc? If not would the k1 visa be less expensive AND faster than cr1 with 3 I130s?

--o The K1 visa enables US Citizens to bring their foreign fiance(e)s to the United States in order to get married.

--o The K2 visa allows unmarried children (under age 21) of the fiance(e) to move to the US as well.

The K1 visa is not an end in itself. It is only a single step in a procedure for obtaining permanent residency (a green card) based on a marriage to a US Citizen after entry.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Is it possible, still, to DCF?

Romania. And thanks again.

There is no USCIS field office in Romania and because of that, DCF is unavailable there.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

My husband submitted I130s for myself and my four children earlier this month. We put each set of papers into a separate envelope and filled out the payment forms for each of the five petitions but then parcelled all of the envelopes up into once parcel so as to ensure they were clearly seen to be one group. We had to contact the London Embassy because they had missed one of the payments but we had it confirmed then that they will be treated as one case. Our situation is a little different in that my husband (the USC) is the father of all four of our children. You will probably have to evidence that the father of your future wife's children is not a block to them relocating to another country. I obviously have not experience of that I'm afraid but I am still pretty confident that the USCIS will bundle the children's I130s in with their mother's one. Incidentally, I am pretty sure that my children will have to attend the interview with me so I think you should work on that assumption.

Best wishes

Laura

Married a US/UK dual national in 1996 and had four children together.
Immigration Timeline: I130 Approval November 2012; Interview July 2013; Immigration October 2013. (Note, however, that we chose to stall the process for personal scheduling reasons)
As a family of six, we relocated from Argyll in Scotland to Pennsylvania in October 2013. 

I applied for Citizenship in October 2017 and am currently waiting for an Interview date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.