shikarnov

Asking the Impossible?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All,

My mother-in-law has a sweat shop job as a seamstress. She has no husband; her only son is 31 years old, and her only property is a one-room Soviet apartment. She's never travelled outside of Russia, and even if she were so inclined, she couldn't afford to do so without help. But, my wife is pregnant -- three months :dance: -- and she'd like her mother to visit to get to know her first grandchild when he or she is born next May.

I told my wife (who is not a citizen yet) that her mother is unlikely to be granted a visa under these circumstances. But she's insistent that I at least try to dig up some information or advice that might help increase her mother's odds of success. And I have heard that there's a new deal between the US and Russia (although everything I read made it seem like a rather lopsided agreement)...

Does anybody have any advice, ideas, information that can help?

Thanks in advance,

Z

Edited by shikarnov

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi All,

My mother-in-law has a sweat shop job as a seamstress. She has no husband; her only son is 31 years old, and her only property is a one-room Soviet apartment. She's never travelled outside of Russia, and even if she were so inclined, she couldn't afford to do so without help. But, my wife is pregnant -- three months :dance: -- and she'd like her mother to visit to get to know her first grandchild when he or she is born next May.

I told my wife (who is not a citizen yet) that her mother is unlikely to be granted a visa under these circumstances. But she's insistent that I at least try to dig up some information or advice that might help increase her mother's odds of success. And I have heard that there's a new deal between the US and Russia (although everything I read made it seem like a rather lopsided agreement)...

Thanks in advance,

Z

Her best bet is if she has had foreign visas and travel before. It may be possible for her to get a Shengen visa more easily, make a small trip to Poland, for example, and then apply for the US tourist visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Gary's suggestion of a pre-trip trip to Europe to get visa experience is a good one. What part of Russia does she live in? Obviously, it will be much cheaper and easier to do this from Moscow or Peter than from Krasno or Irkutsk.

In general, I don't think it is as hopeless as you seem to think it is. You have a good story. Just make sure to tell it well. Write a letter for her to take to the interview in which you explain the nature of the trip. Be specific about dates, that you are taking care of her while she's here, and that you will make sure she goes back. The job, apartment, and son are not likely to count for much, so I wouldn't put much focus on them in the interview. But if you and your wife can effectively vouch for her, she has a good shot.

I also think there is a shot at a tourist visa. An acquaintance of mine brought both FIL and MIL here at the same time, and I have read several posts on VJ like that. We sent MIL to Prague first, and she got a B visa to come here without a problem. Depending on where in Russia your MIL lives, you might send her to Poland, Romania, or Bulgaria for a few days if the border is close. Also, our Congressman's aide sent a nice letter to her and the Embassy. MIL showed it at passport control POE, and we think it helped overcome her lack of English.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

First, thank you all for your replies... Your attention and advice is much appreciated.

Second, turns out there's news: My MIL is getting married to her long-time boyfriend early next month. So, that might be a nice "tie" to Russia that can bolster her case.

Her best bet is if she has had foreign visas and travel before. It may be possible for her to get a Shengen visa more easily, make a small trip to Poland, for example, and then apply for the US tourist visa.

A worthwhile idea - but one that I think is unlikely to happen. She's a villager that's been out of the Ivanovo region only to work in Moscow for a couple of years. I'll have my wife run it by her. It's all going to come down to how badly she wants the US visa, and what she'll do for it.

Will it not seem fishy, however, to the consulate to see a recent trip to Poland? They scrutinized so much during my wife's K1 interview, I just can't imagine something like this not raising an eyebrow or two...

Gary's suggestion of a pre-trip trip to Europe to get visa experience is a good one. What part of Russia does she live in? Obviously, it will be much cheaper and easier to do this from Moscow or Peter than from Krasno or Irkutsk.

In general, I don't think it is as hopeless as you seem to think it is. You have a good story. Just make sure to tell it well. Write a letter for her to take to the interview in which you explain the nature of the trip. Be specific about dates, that you are taking care of her while she's here, and that you will make sure she goes back. The job, apartment, and son are not likely to count for much, so I wouldn't put much focus on them in the interview. But if you and your wife can effectively vouch for her, she has a good shot.

Well, it's hard to be specific on dates. We have a due date, but kids don't always adhere to schedules. And I've heard - repeatedly - that telling the consulate about a newborn baby is a sure way to get rejected, first because of the desire for a new Babushka to overstay, and second because she may "work" and take away opportunities from a professional caretaker. Do these concerns no longer apply?

I also think there is a shot at a tourist visa. An acquaintance of mine brought both FIL and MIL here at the same time, and I have read several posts on VJ like that. We sent MIL to Prague first, and she got a B visa to come here without a problem. Depending on where in Russia your MIL lives, you might send her to Poland, Romania, or Bulgaria for a few days if the border is close. Also, our Congressman's aide sent a nice letter to her and the Embassy. MIL showed it at passport control POE, and we think it helped overcome her lack of English.

I like the idea of appealing to the Congressman. I'll have to give that a shot as well. And I never even considered my MIL's lack of English skills. The only thing she says is Хелло!. Hmm.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

And I've heard - repeatedly - that telling the consulate about a newborn baby is a sure way to get rejected, first because of the desire for a new Babushka to overstay,

Only if you phrase your invite letter and/or letter to the Embassy that she will come her to help out with the newborn......THAT could be construed as a basis of overstaying.....but if you phrase it that she will be here only to visit and to see her newly born grandchild and then return....then that is a different slant.

and second because she may "work" and take away opportunities from a professional caretaker.

Yea right.....NOT USCIS could care less about immigrants taking away jobs from other US folks.....think about it and all these illegals. If USCIS were so concerned about that, they would be much harsher on any temporary visitation visas, etc.

Do these concerns no longer apply?

I like the idea of appealing to the Congressman.

Useless, but no harm in trying.

I'll have to give that a shot as well. And I never even considered my MIL's lack of English skills. The only thing she says is Хелло!. Hmm.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

First, thank you all for your replies... Your attention and advice is much appreciated.

Second, turns out there's news: My MIL is getting married to her long-time boyfriend early next month. So, that might be a nice "tie" to Russia that can bolster her case.

Will it not seem fishy, however, to the consulate to see a recent trip to Poland? They scrutinized so much during my wife's K1 interview, I just can't imagine something like this not raising an eyebrow or two...

Of course a lot of this depends upon what you can afford, because obviously MIL can't. What if you were to spring for a honeymoon trip to a European country where they need a Schengen visa? That could get you over one hurdle. There are a lot of Schengen countries (26).

You might also consider writing a letter/email to the U.S. embassy in Moscow asking about the new visa conditions and if they have any suggestions about having your MIL visit to see her daughter and your new baby. Sometimes being direct has its benefits.

Timeline

Hi All,

Thanks in advance,

Z

Our son's girlfriend tried to get a tourist visa last winter (from Russia, Yekaterinaburg). She had tons of evidence she would return. She walked to the window and they said "Have you ever had a visa to any other country?" She said NO. Visa denied. It was the only question they asked. She got a Shengen visa this summer and went to Germany for 3 days. She applied for another tourist visa this fall. They approved her visa this time.

Gary And Alla

I like the idea of appealing to the Congressman. I'll have to give that a shot as well. And I never even considered my MIL's lack of English skills. The only thing she says is Хелло!. Hmm.

I think the Schengen visa tends to just prove that she will return to Russia on time.

Let me be clear about the letter from Congress. I don't think that will sway State to issue a tourist visa by itself, but it adds to the plus column. The handy thing was that she was asked at POE what she would be doing in the US, and she had the letter available for the officer to read. Another passenger was translating the question, but the officer didn't ask anything else, and didn't look at anything else except her passport.

Our son's girlfriend tried to get a tourist visa last winter (from Russia, Yekaterinaburg). She had tons of evidence she would return. She walked to the window and they said "Have you ever had a visa to any other country?" She said NO. Visa denied. It was the only question they asked. She got a Shengen visa this summer and went to Germany for 3 days. She applied for another tourist visa this fall. They approved her visa this time.

Seems like pretty strong evidence.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I think the Schengen visa tends to just prove that she will return to Russia on time.

Let me be clear about the letter from Congress. I don't think that will sway State to issue a tourist visa by itself, but it adds to the plus column. The handy thing was that she was asked at POE what she would be doing in the US, and she had the letter available for the officer to read. Another passenger was translating the question, but the officer didn't ask anything else, and didn't look at anything else except her passport.

Seems like pretty strong evidence.

Ukrainians are basically the "mexicans" of Europe. They are educated and hard working and a LOT of them immigrate illegally into EU countries (icidentally a lot of people immigrate illegally into Ukraine! Everything is relative) It eems pretty common that if a Ukrainian went to an EU country and returned, then it is good evidence they will return from the US. Go figure. She planned to visit Sergey in Houston but has now applied for an F-2 student visa as she was accepted at the University of Houston. She may end up there sooner on an F-2

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

When my then boyfriend applied for a tourist visa, again, ONLY question asked was if he had been to other Schengen zone countries. He had, and was approved. No other documents were even looked at. So, I think this is a huge deal for them, and I suggest she travel around to Latvia or Lithuania or Poland, something to prove she can travel and return home.

And of course, say she's just visiting.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
This may be a pattern, si man. A couple of years ago, Mrs. T-B.'s parents & #5 sister traveled 14 hours by bus to a tourist-visa interview in Quito, were asked the other-country-visa thing, and were dismissed after perhaps a 2-minute interview with a snooty "Well, visit somewhere else first, and then perhaps we'll consider it." I was mortified at this treatment.

However, they all visited Peru for a day. Mama-Mrs.-T-B. went back and got a visitor's visa with no problem, and the others later did, also with no harassment. I'm not convinced of any rationale, but G-Bone's "Ukrainians are the Mexicans of Europe" might be a parallel: every visitor-visa applicant to the U.S. might be viewed as if they are Mexicans, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

This may be a pattern, si man. A couple of years ago, Mrs. T-B.'s parents & #5 sister traveled 14 hours by bus to a tourist-visa interview in Quito, were asked the other-country-visa thing, and were dismissed after perhaps a 2-minute interview with a snooty "Well, visit somewhere else first, and then perhaps we'll consider it." I was mortified at this treatment.

However, they all visited Peru for a day. Mama-Mrs.-T-B. went back and got a visitor's visa with no problem, and the others later did, also with no harassment. I'm not convinced of any rationale, but G-Bone's "Ukrainians are the Mexicans of Europe" might be a parallel: every visitor-visa applicant to the U.S. might be viewed as if they are Mexicans, si man.

And you failed to notice that Sergey's Girfriend is going to be a student at the U of Houston! Sergey claims Texas and Houston are the "perfect place to live" except his girlfriend was not there! :lol: They intend to get married (in case no one guessed where this is going) He really likes it there.

Alla and I are planning a trip down there in spring, she wants to look over the area more. I think the cold weather affects both of us more than it used to and dammit, and hate to see those tasty summer clothes put away so soon!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.