rachaelk101

If I'm unemployed but have a co-sponsor will my fiance visa approve?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline

I am currently unemployed as i am going to visit my fiance in a few months for 3 months in the UK. I have only had one job and it didn't last but a few months because it was a terrible job. My mom has agreed to sign as a co-sponsor and makes way more then the required income for her family and my fiance, and my fiance owns outright a house in Florida worth 180,000. Will this be enough for the visa to approve once my fiance goes to his interview? I plan on getting a job when I get back but they may be after his interview. Any info on this is appreciated.

P.S. we also have money in savings.

Thanks, Rachael

If your mother is willing to serve as the sponsor for your fiancé, you would only need to supply the I-134 she completes along with the supporting information (examples: paystubs, letter of employment, tax return transcript).

If your fiancé wants to self-sponsor, make sure he reads through this page on the embassy site: http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

Where are you in the process? Has your petition been approved?

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

If your mother is willing to serve as the sponsor for your fiancé, you would only need to supply the I-134 she completes along with the supporting information (examples: paystubs, letter of employment, tax return transcript).

If your fiancé wants to self-sponsor, make sure he reads through this page on the embassy site: http://london.usembassy.gov/faffidavit.html

Where are you in the process? Has your petition been approved?

We have not yet started. We are still in the process of gathering things and wanted to make sure things would be ok when it gets to his end. If my mom is a co-sponsor, would I still have to send the I-134 for myself and the additional one for my mom?

We have not yet started. We are still in the process of gathering things and wanted to make sure things would be ok when it gets to his end. If my mom is a co-sponsor, would I still have to send the I-134 for myself and the additional one for my mom?

If you haven't started the process, then you have a long time before you need to be concerned about the I-134. You won't need that until after the petition is approved and the case is in London for the visa interview. The I-134 is not needed for the initial I-129F petition package.

Once your petition is approved and you're sending items to your fiancé in advance of their interview, if the situation is still that you aren't work or don't earn enough to serve as the sponsor, then your mother would complete the I-134 form and supply the supporting documents.

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)

Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

If you haven't started the process, then you have a long time before you need to be concerned about the I-134. You won't need that until after the petition is approved and the case is in London for the visa interview. The I-134 is not needed for the initial I-129F petition package.

Once your petition is approved and you're sending items to your fiancé in advance of their interview, if the situation is still that you aren't work or don't earn enough to serve as the sponsor, then your mother would complete the I-134 form and supply the supporting documents.

Thank you so much! If we are wanting to get married a year from now, when do you think we should file? We don't want to send it off too soon as I've heard it expires after 6 months.

Thank you so much! If we are wanting to get married a year from now, when do you think we should file? We don't want to send it off too soon as I've heard it expires after 6 months.

It's hard to say because depending on which service center receives it, the adjudication time could vary. The K-1 isn't really for those who want a specific wedding date as you're not really in control of the process. You could submit the petition this month and be approved in December or March...it depends. In my case, we filed in late January 2012 and my fiancé's interview is tomorrow morning, so about 9 months from receipt of the I-129F petition package. Once the visa is issued, you usually have 6 months to enter the U.S. (this is dependent on the medical exam) and then 90 days after entering the U.S. to marry.

Edited by LeftCoastLady

Coming Soon...

I have read on this very forum that BOTH you and your co-sponsor are required to send the I-134 form, regardless of whether you are employed or not.

That's probably correct for other countries, but in the UK it's different.

Coming Soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.