SweetnessATX

JA K1 - Point of Entry Process?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

should I look on another section for this info?

Basic process for entry? Fingerprints? Assume I should allow extra time between flights (POE and second flight to Texas). Just passport/visa needed correct?

Once we are in US I will need info on next part of the process....Social Security Card, Employment Authorization, etc. Where can I get more information.......

Thank you so much

ONE LOVE

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

should I look on another section for this info?

Basic process for entry? Fingerprints? Assume I should allow extra time between flights (POE and second flight to Texas). Just passport/visa needed correct?

Once we are in US I will need info on next part of the process....Social Security Card, Employment Authorization, etc. Where can I get more information.......

Thank you so much

For the next step you will find the information in AOS (Adjustment of Status) forums. All the forms can be found in that section. Just like in the K1 Forums. Obviously need to be married first before you can adjust his status. But you will find all the forms in there that you will need. EAD, AP, Conditional Green Card etc. Good luck. More paperwork, more money and more waiting! tons of fun!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You will also need the envelope (unopened) that was sent to you with your passport (with visa in it). At the POE they will take the envelope, open it and look through it quickly (well my guy did), take your finger prints, take a photo of you, staple your I-94 into your passport (you NEED this for AOS so make sure you get one... some people forget), stamp your passport with a stamp and write a date 90 day from entry (that's when you need to get married by) and then send you on your way.

How long it takes depends on which airport you go to. At LAX it was pretty quick (I still needed a 3 hour layover because of the whole customs/waiting in line thing), but some people get pulled into secondary which can take a bit longer.

Hope that helps :)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

that helps SO much thanks

Sometimes, the i94 isn't handed out on the plane and you'll need to pick it up in the airport and fill it out. Easiest thing would be asking a stewardesse if they have any onboard so you'll have it ready when arriving.

You pretty much can't do anything(ssn, work permit) right after arriving so just enjoy your time together the first week. After that, go to SSA and apply for ssn. If they can't find you in their database, withdraw your application and come back in a few days.

EAD is almost worthless to apply for before AOS. Mostly because it costs money to do so applying before AOS but also because the money is more or less lost. It takes approx 3 months to get it and by that time, it won't be valid anymore due to the i94 expiring. Just apply with AOS and the fee for EAD is waived.

Some states allow you to get state ID(or driver's license/permit) with your i94, passport and ssn. I'd go ahead and do that after receiving ssn in mail. Some also allow your fiance(e) or spouse to sign an affidavit on your behalf if you can't present mail sent to your US address. But it depends on the state.

Enjoy your journey.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

everything can be found here on Visa Journey. just get use to the search function :thumbs:

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.