The Mean Lady

Problems, Advice, and Stories on Border Crossing

64 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I recently was in Detroit, MI and decided that since I was so close to Canada I would just go over to there to the mall in Windsor, CAN and come back to Detroit, Mi. I crossed over into Canada no problem HOWEVER on my way back into Detroit, MI the experience was AWFUL. I understand that there are many bad people out there and these people don't know me or my intentions but the was they acted was super uncalled for.

They acted like it was so impossible that I would want to cross over into Canada just to go to the mall and come back. I am a permanent resident, they questioned me to the death about how I became a permanent resident and boy did they flip out when I told them I am now divorced. Question after question trying to determine the validity of my marriage, I know I did not do anything wrong so I was not nervous and I wasn't worried about it. To me the government has already determined the validity of my marriage and publicly asking me embarrassing questions in a rude manner is a waste of time. They were acting like people dont get divorced, It's just that I have crossed other borders by air and I have never been treated that way so I googled that border and complaint after complaint came back. Bottom line is the agents on the USA side of the Detroit-Windsor crossing are nasty for no reason.

I read story after story from people that live in the area that say they use to cross all the time but the agents are at the point of ridiculousness so they just stay on their side of the border. If you don't have to cross that border DONT DO IT, its not worth the amount of time wasted and potential embarrasment.

Your issue was due to the time you spent in Canada.

When my husband was just my friend, I drove the 7.5 hours to see him for (1) day and came back the next day.

I was pulled into secondary and grilled (AS A USC!)

I was handcuffed, patted down and criticized all because it was only for (1) day.

They also found some paintings I'd done in my trunk.

That's what gave them the idea to handcuff me.

I might or might not have painted a picture of a woman with her boobs chopped off.

They also felt the need to tell me that my car was filthy and I should keep it cleaner.

oldlady.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh, sorry to hear you had such awful experiences :( I have also crossed through Detroit and been given a hard time. They are jerks there.

Timeline

Would I be able to do this? Would this help or hinder me? Or should I just wait until I get my green card to see what's in store for me? I am terrified of the border. I am OK with secondary, but I don't like being subjected to it as often as I am. Will this help me understand why I get stopped for extra questions?

Cody! You still haven't gotten your greencard yet?? Or maybe (since I'm a bit behind lol) you have and are already in the US with your family.

FYI - I filed redress and have crossed twice (once by car & once by air) and both times I had NO issues at the border. No secondary (which seems to be a miracle to me - I was in secondary so much I knew several officers by sight).

I'd say go ahead and file redress, it certainly seems to have worked for me.

I recently was in Detroit, MI and decided that since I was so close to Canada I would just go over to there to the mall in Windsor, CAN and come back to Detroit, Mi. I crossed over into Canada no problem HOWEVER on my way back into Detroit, MI the experience was AWFUL. I understand that there are many bad people out there and these people don't know me or my intentions but the was they acted was super uncalled for.

They acted like it was so impossible that I would want to cross over into Canada just to go to the mall and come back. I am a permanent resident, they questioned me to the death about how I became a permanent resident and boy did they flip out when I told them I am now divorced. Question after question trying to determine the validity of my marriage, I know I did not do anything wrong so I was not nervous and I wasn't worried about it. To me the government has already determined the validity of my marriage and publicly asking me embarrassing questions in a rude manner is a waste of time. They were acting like people dont get divorced, It's just that I have crossed other borders by air and I have never been treated that way so I googled that border and complaint after complaint came back. Bottom line is the agents on the USA side of the Detroit-Windsor crossing are nasty for no reason.

I read story after story from people that live in the area that say they use to cross all the time but the agents are at the point of ridiculousness so they just stay on their side of the border. If you don't have to cross that border DONT DO IT, its not worth the amount of time wasted and potential embarrasment.

Based on personal experience and everything I've read, the Detroit/Windsor border crossing is the worst there is. My wife and I have been pulled into secondary, detained and questioned, going both ways. The border patrol agents on boths sides are rude, but the US side is definitely the worst. We cross through the Niagara Falls/Buffalo crossings whenever possible now. Much less hassle and the border patrol agents have a personality.

Timeline

I've only ever crossed at Detroit once because I was going to a relative's house in Michigan.

I found that border so WEIRD.

There you are driving down a street, then BAM HERES A BORDER.

But I like that they took my credit card for pay for the bridge fee!

I have only crossed into the US there.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

That's a really good point for those with persistent issues. Here is the link for those interested:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/11/kw/redress/sno/1

Does this matter after you get a green card?

Just wondering if my husband's issues will go away then.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Flagged issues won't disappear by having a greencard. It needs to be addressed as a separate issue.

Yeah, I just filed for his redress anyways.

I figured at the very least we can enjoy one hassle free crossing in July for my sister's wedding.

If I'da done it when I started this thread and first heard about it, maybe we coulda had a hassle free christmas crossing.

The lady we got then was very weird.

She looked at us and sternly told us that in the future, we need to bring current paystubs.

I think she got lazy and stopped looking because we had paystubs from back in may (since I just added to his file) and we had about 10 current paystubs from the past few months..........

I just did the ol' smile and nod.

She also informed me that post march, we will need letters from my landlord every time we cross since our lease will be up and we'll be on month to month then.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Does this matter after you get a green card?

Just wondering if my husband's issues will go away then.

None of my issues went away after I got my greencard. Still got put into secondary EVERY time I crossed, no matter if it were by air, land or sea.

But like I said, since I got the letter back from my redress request, even though it didn't tell me any information on what had been the issue, the times I've crossed since then have been trouble free.

Timeline

None of my issues went away after I got my greencard. Still got put into secondary EVERY time I crossed, no matter if it were by air, land or sea.

But like I said, since I got the letter back from my redress request, even though it didn't tell me any information on what had been the issue, the times I've crossed since then have been trouble free.

Awesome.

Hoping this will clear my husband.

They told him he'd be pegged for five years.

Five years isn't until July 2014 so might as well try for sooner if I can.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Traveling prior to our approved visa was always worrisome, mainly because I couldn't prove ties to Canada. I was never denied entry though and did enter on a few 1 month stay's. There were lots of questions and at times we'd have to go into the office.

After our visa, it's a piece of cake. I dare say that it's actually easier then when I'd cross by myself. There's really no question why we're crossing it's either I'm going to see my family or we're going home. It's always very quick quicker then I ever experienced and I've crossed the boarder plenty of times in my life. The relationship is somehow easily explained once you have that card (at least this has been our experience.)

ETA: My husband also had a flag going into Canada. We had to deal with that for a year. We just got used to going in and didn't mind it. Then one time when crossing over to Montreal an officer didn't see the flag as being necessary when tracking how many times we cross and return. So she filed to have the flag removed. Since then I'm not sure if it's luck but we haven't had to go or had the questions regarding his flag since then and we've crossed 3 times since.

Edited by CanadiaGirl

04/18/2009: When two became one

USCIS

03/04/2010: Submitted I-130

06/29/2010: NOA2

NVC

09/02/2010: 1-864 & IV Paid

10/16/2010: 1-864 delivered to NVC

10/27/2010: IV Package delivered to NVC

11/18/2010: AVR "Case Complete" at the NVC

02/14/2011: Medical

02/23/2011: Interview APPROVED!!!!

03/04/2011: Visa Recieved

03/04/2011: POE: Lewiston Bridge, Buffalo, NY

ROC

01/12/2013: I-751 Packet Submitted

01/14/2013: I-751 Packet Received (via certified mail)

01/18/2013: NOA1 Letter Received

Timeline

Traveling prior to our approved visa was always worrisome, mainly because I couldn't prove ties to Canada. I was never denied entry though and did enter on a few 1 month stay's. There were lots of questions and at times we'd have to go into the office.

After our visa, it's a piece of cake. I dare say that it's actually easier then when I'd cross by myself. There's really no question why we're crossing it's either I'm going to see my family or we're going home. It's always very quick quicker then I ever experienced and I've crossed the boarder plenty of times in my life. The relationship is somehow easily explained once you have that card (at least this has been our experience.)

ETA: My husband also had a flag going into Canada. We had to deal with that for a year. We just got used to going in and didn't mind it. Then one time when crossing over to Montreal an officer didn't see the flag as being necessary when tracking how many times we cross and return. So she filed to have the flag removed. Since then I'm not sure if it's luck but we haven't had to go or had the questions regarding his flag since then and we've crossed 3 times since.

I got flagged once into canada and got an arrival/departure pass.

I was surprised it didn't stick.

Never got pulled in again.

oldlady.gif

I wasn't a huge fan of the Detroit/Windsor crossing either. They made me put my elderly, 100lb dog in a small metal crate in the pouring rain. Pissed me off.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.