jamieaaron

k1 visa queries

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi guys, first post here and all. my fiancee and i started our k1 journey in january, i got the letter of accepted i129f in july, i had a lot of drama getting my police report. i finally had my medical on september 26. i sent in all the paperwork (ds230, ds156, ds156k, ds157 and ds2001 checklist) and it recorded delivered in london on september 24. i've called the embassy pretty much every day and finally last thurday (october 11) they noted some activity on the file and that they had begun processing my documents and everything- they'd had the medical come in from knightsbridge at the end of september

now the issue i have is that- and i know you should never ever book or plan anything when it comes to these visas- we have got our wedding booked for november 2. yes, two weeks this friday. i included a long, pleading cover letter with all the documents (ds230,etc) asking for an urgent interview by the latest about october 24 (a week tomorrow). i know, i'm optimistic. i included my email address and mobile number and advised i can take any cancellations whatsoever at a days notice? does anyone think there is any chance i will get an interview sorted out by this date? is there anything i can do? everytime i call the 09042 number i'm told i just have to wait for the letter, and i cannot even email them to request a different date until they send you that letter

if it isn't sorted out in time, what will happen if i go to the us to see my fiancee for a week on the vwp? we can rearrange the wedding date for a few weeks time, a months time, because if my interview date isn't by wednesday next week, i imagine it'll definitely be sorted by this time next month.. if i go across and see my fiancee for a week, no wedding, no nuptials, no marriage certificate, and we just have a party and celebrate together, will i then have issues when i come back here for the interview? will there be questions asked? as i assume they'll see on my passport i have just been to the usa for a week, that coincided with the dates of when we were due to be married

would it be beneficial to get a signed letter from our wedding planner to say that no marriage occured and no wedding certificate was given? so basically, no official wedding or anything. am i stressing out too much, will they not even ask these questions? i know there is no issue with visiting the usa on the vwp whilst processing a k1 visa, but especially with my cover letter stating our original wedding date, i don't want it to look suspicious or anything

also, would i be asked at the port of entry in the usa about this? i believe they would be aware that a visa is in process. i've been told as long as i have a return ticket, and hopefully my interview letter, to show i have a interview date and eason to come back, as it would obviously make no sense to jeopardise everything when i have an interview date so close in the future

please, any help is much needed. thank you all in advance

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

would it be beneficial to get a signed letter from our wedding planner to say that no marriage occured and no wedding certificate was given?

No. Plan to cancel the plans unless you get lucky at the last minute. Don't continue foolishness and jeopardize the visa process.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Since it's still possible that you could get an interview in short notice -- there have been some going through London who received notice of their interview in a week's time -- it's probably best that you not travel to the US right now. Also, definitely do not involve the wedding planner. Why arouse suspicion when it's not needed?

Push back the wedding plans as much as possible. Even if you're successful in getting an interview in the next week, you will still have to wait for the visa to arrive, which can take up to 10 business days. (Yes, most get it in less time, but there have been recent cases where it arrived exactly 10 business days after the interview.)

For others reading -- this is why you do not make concrete wedding arrangements until the visa is in your hands. :bonk:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

thanks for the tips! good luck for your interview, by the way.

it's my fault really, should have sent the stupid police report application off recorded delivery.

fingers crossed they call me or email me, i'm going to call again in a minute to see if there is anything as i presume they know of any interviews arranged as soon as it's been put on the system

and yeah, from what i've been reading, five/six/seven days for the courier service. but obviously plan for less.

Timeline

so, update

what we're doing is, if the visa interview isn't by tuesday next at the latest, i am traveling friday (october 26) for a return of november 4. i will have the return ticket, hopefully an interview letter or email to confirm an interview date when i return to england, documents to show i am going about this the right away (letter pack 3 from embassy, visa payment receipt etc) and a letter from my employer to say i will be going back to work on november 5, also i will get a letter dated and signed from my mother stating i have paid rent for the whole month of november

we will not be getting married on november 2, there will be no vows, no officiant, no certificate or license. it will simply be us having a party with our friends and family, eating and having a good time

we will then get married when i return once the visa is successfully approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

so, update

what we're doing is, if the visa interview isn't by tuesday next at the latest, i am traveling friday (october 26) for a return of november 4. i will have the return ticket, hopefully an interview letter or email to confirm an interview date when i return to england, documents to show i am going about this the right away (letter pack 3 from embassy, visa payment receipt etc) and a letter from my employer to say i will be going back to work on november 5, also i will get a letter dated and signed from my mother stating i have paid rent for the whole month of november

we will not be getting married on november 2, there will be no vows, no officiant, no certificate or license. it will simply be us having a party with our friends and family, eating and having a good time

we will then get married when i return once the visa is successfully approved

As a simple suggestion. Even if no one will officiate the wedding and you are planning to wear a wedding dress for it, make sure no one posts pictures of you on any Social Media (especially Facebook). While it's rare, you shouldn't be surprised if they've visited your facebook and saw pictures of these kind, that were set for everyone to see. If they see you in a wedding dress, they can very much assume you got married on your trip. So, just be careful and cover all angles.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.