DaveE

K2 is US citizen K1 needs to remove conditions.

3 posts in this topic

Short story. K2 step daughter was adopted by me and US Passport issued for her. K1 wife needs to remove conditions.

K2 name changed as a result of the adoption, so the childs name on the I751 does not match the name she entered the country on. However, the name of all children must be listed on the form.

Should we just submit the package with no mention of the K2 citizen? Should we attach a letter showing the adoption decree and copy of the US passport? Should we explain the name change on the I751?

I realize that the USCIS/DOS system should be integrated without me explaining, but somehow I doubt that it works that way.

What I am leaning toward is listing my daughters new name on the I751, and in the A number block putting "previously A XXX XX XXX". On the cover letter explaining in full the adoption and subsequant citizenship. Finally, attaching copies of everything.

Anyone else had to do this and what did you do?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Short story. K2 step daughter was adopted by me and US Passport issued for her. K1 wife needs to remove conditions.

K2 name changed as a result of the adoption, so the childs name on the I751 does not match the name she entered the country on. However, the name of all children must be listed on the form.

Should we just submit the package with no mention of the K2 citizen? Should we attach a letter showing the adoption decree and copy of the US passport? Should we explain the name change on the I751?

I realize that the USCIS/DOS system should be integrated without me explaining, but somehow I doubt that it works that way.

What I am leaning toward is listing my daughters new name on the I751, and in the A number block putting "previously A XXX XX XXX". On the cover letter explaining in full the adoption and subsequant citizenship. Finally, attaching copies of everything.

Anyone else had to do this and what did you do?

If I were you I would do the second option were you leaning to. I mean she is a citizen obviosly doesn't have an A#. And you can show the papers that you adopted her and everything, put her new name because that's her legal name now. And send all of the papers.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dave I would list your daughters 'now' legal name on the I-751. As you mentioned, attach copies of the adoption decree, copies of her U.S. passport and a detailed letter explaining why the K2 now has a different name. Thus, no need for ROC in her case.

You'd think attaching the decree with the passport copies would be explanatory, but I wouldn't leave anything for USCIS to figure out.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.