40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I misspoke when i referred to the petition as an immigrant petition. As for the rest, I think Marc Ellis' article is also agreeing with me, see http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0323-ellis.shtm

Note that he specifically refers to the K-1 visa example at the beginning of the article and writes "These are the facts we’re using for the article."

No point discussing this further anyway

The link you posted again is titled "This article focuses on the return of approved family-based IV petitions by consulates and how to represent clients in DHS revocation proceedings."

Firstly, a k1 visa is NOT a "family-based immigrant visa" and secondly, it AGAIN refers to "the return of .... petitions by consulates".

But you are correct that he refers to K1 visas, incorrectly, as IV's.

By the way, the USEM requires K-1'ers to bring evidence of a genuine relationship to their interview. The following is from the USEM's interview instructions:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. It is important that you submit ALL of the following documentation to facilitate the processing of your application.

~clip~

EVIDENCE OF A GENUINE ENGAGEMENT. You must be prepared to prove to the consular officer that you have a genuine relationship with your petitioner and a clear intention to marry within 90 days of admission into the U.S. In the past, successful applicants have submitted photographs, letters, e-mails, phone records, bank records, and remittance records as evidence supporting their relationships and intent to marry.

Link to USEM K-1 interview instructions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well of course

By the way, the USEM requires K-1'ers to bring evidence of a genuine relationship to their interview. The following is from the USEM's interview instructions:

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS. It is important that you submit ALL of the following documentation to facilitate the processing of your application.

~clip~

EVIDENCE OF A GENUINE ENGAGEMENT. You must be prepared to prove to the consular officer that you have a genuine relationship with your petitioner and a clear intention to marry within 90 days of admission into the U.S. In the past, successful applicants have submitted photographs, letters, e-mails, phone records, bank records, and remittance records as evidence supporting their relationships and intent to marry.

Link to USEM K-1 interview instructions.

Filed: Country: Greece
Timeline

This discussion has gotten too long and I feel like i have lost track of where the disagreement is. It started from a broad statement I made, saying essentially that USCIS has the final word on the bona fides of a relationship and explaining the benefits of front loading the initial petition, since the authority of consular officers is somewhat limited as per the state department cable.

I got an unsubstantiated response by Tahoma, that there is some sort of difference between spouse and fiance petitions with respect to who considers the evidence of a bona fide relationship. Vanessa and Tony correctly stated that I-130's require evidence of a bona-fide relationship - but that is a fairly recent thing not incorporated in law - as far as the law is concerned, USCIS has always been charged with determining the bona fides for both I-130 and I-129F petitions.

Celeste's next comment explained that the cable refers to petitions returned to USCIS - but a visa that results in a denial associated with the bona fides of a relationship normally results in a returned petition, so I am not sure i understand this comment.

Vanessa&Tony next explained the overall process once again, and I didn't see what it was that I said that conflicted their words.

On the following message Vanessa&Tony goes on and on with a tirade about my ignorance and naivety about the process based on me accidently calling a fiance petition an immigrant petition and how i don’t know what i am talking about. Hard not to take this personally, when I have a J.D. degree from a top school, was managing editor in the immigration law journal, have seen a number of petitions first hand and been researching immigration law for more than ten years.

Tahoma next writes a few things that appear to be generally in agreement with what i wrote. He writes that even if a petition is front loaded, new evidence may come out after the petition is submitted. This does not take into consideratino however that the red flags (age difference, no common language, and all the rest Ellis writes about) generally dont change with time. Finally he asks me to link to anyone whose K-1 petition was denied by the USCIS for failure to prove a bona fide relationship without the petition ever having reached the USEM level. Well i havent seen this happen either, and I don’t see how anything I said implies I should have.

In any case, i dont think there is any point in discussing any of this further. I don’t even see what the disagreement is anymore, and arguing for the sake of arguing is counterproductive.

Best wishes to all and good luck with the process.

it says on the form that they did not have past the number of evidence.. We juz dnt get it coz if they didnt submit the required evidence then why did the service center not send them rfe or why did they get the approval?

Who cares? Calm down people and stop hijacking op's thread. This arguement is like the song that never ends

I care. The OP cares. The OP's friend who got denied cares. I'll bet the friend's fiancé cares. Isn't that enough for you?

I'm calm. Why are you getting upset over the discussion in this thread?

Why don't you read the OP's post above and tell me how this thread has been hijacked.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The op cares about what is relevant to his case, not about what you said which is what this thread is turning into. Im not upset. Im not the one getting all hot and bothered on here and being hostile, but anyway keep it up... I dont even know why I engaged you this is obiviously a good time for you. Now Im being like you'll contributing a whole of nothing to op's situation. Keep it relevant or keep it moving.

I care. The OP cares. The OP's friend who got denied cares. I'll bet the friend's fiancé cares. Isn't that enough for you?

I'm calm. Why are you getting upset over the discussion in this thread?

Why don't you read the OP's post above and tell me how this thread has been hijacked.

The op cares about what is relevant to his case, not about what you said which is what this thread is turning into. Im not upset. Im not the one getting all hot and bothered on here and being hostile, but anyway keep it up... I dont even know why I engaged you this is obiviously a good time for you. Now Im being like you'll contributing a whole of nothing to op's situation. Keep it relevant or keep it moving.

I see you haven't noticed that everyone except you is discussing the reasons why the OP's friend could have gotten an RFE. Instead of discussing the issue, you've decided to anoint yourself the thread police. Since you are so bored and have nothing to contribute, why don't you go rant on some other thread.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.