QC2CO

what is needed to ship boxes to US?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:( I can't remember what is needed to ship boxes to the US. the archive page seems to be down for weeks.

was it pasting the list of items contained in the box. Paste a copy of the I-94. ?

that is all i can think of.

Thank you for your help! I have to have this stuff shipped by monday. :)

:( I can't remember what is needed to ship boxes to the US. the archive page seems to be down for weeks.

was it pasting the list of items contained in the box. Paste a copy of the I-94. ?

that is all i can think of.

Thank you for your help! I have to have this stuff shipped by monday. :)

I think this is the thread that has all the info you need

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=17422&hl=

there's a link to a word doc that has info, can't remember if it is about boxing stuff, but anywho.....

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used UPS ground ... I just made a detail list of what was in each box and labelled the boxes ... I only had 5 boxes so it wasn't alot of stuff ...

The UPS store took a photocopy of my passport page and K-1 page ... And they held the boxes at their office until I crossed the border and the following day I faxed them a copy of my I-94 and they attached that to my shipments ...

I got my stuff about a week later ... Was a very simple process actually ... :)

Good Luck ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I left some stuff with my mom and now would like to have it. I sort of thought she could bring it or I could go get it when I visit but that won't be for a while and I would like some of it now.

Is it as simple as her packing it up and sending it or do we need some documents?

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Timeline
I left some stuff with my mom and now would like to have it. I sort of thought she could bring it or I could go get it when I visit but that won't be for a while and I would like some of it now.

Is it as simple as her packing it up and sending it or do we need some documents?

I would think she could package it up and bring it down to the local UPS store ... She should document what is in each box ... I would think she needs a copy of your Passport page, K-1 Visa and your I-94 and/or EAD/GC ... I believe you need the paperwork so that you don't pay any duty on the items ...

K-1 VISA

AOS / EAD

I-751

Timeline

I used Canada Post and shipped everything down before I moved, it was simple and cheaper for me instead of UPS or another 'courier'. The form was part of the address label and I just put "personal, clothing" "personal, craft items", "personal, books" etc.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Timeline

I just came back from Greyhound. Its gonna cost me 450$ to ship 3 boxes :(

they told me that everything must be listed, electronic stuff has to have serial numbers on the paper and all of that. they wouldnt let me ship like a pocket knife. geez.

so i'm thinking i'm going to head to the border today and ship from there. It will be cheaper to send nationaly then internationaly.

let you know how that works out :)

Filed: Other Timeline

Anything that is not accompanying you wen you move needs to have a copy of your visa, a copy of yourI-94 and a customs form 3299, which can be downloaded from the CBP website.

If your family is holding things for you and will bring them later, or send them, they'll need copies of all the above.

If you are shipping things before you get your visa, it may get held up in customs and/or you may be charged duty and taxes. If you wait til you have your visa and I-94 they wont' get held up and you wn't be charged duty.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I can't believe any Canadian would recommend using UPS for shipping. Have you never paid their outragous brokerage fees?

UPS = :devil:

Edited by Texanadian

Timeline
I can't believe any Canadian would recommend using UPS for shipping. Have you never paid their outragous brokerage fees?

pfffft ... thanks for being so nice ... really appreciate it ... :thumbs:

Don't you think you might have been a little out of line in your attitude ?? sheeesh

Edited by Waiting in Vancouver

K-1 VISA

AOS / EAD

I-751

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't have much stuff that needed to be shipped ...... just some personal items like books etc.... my mom shipped those down to me bit by bit with no problems....

And when I was up in Canada for a visit in Apirl I brought the rest of the stuff down with me...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

ok, so I called the POE for Ogdensburg NY yesterday and they said there was no problem bringing my stuff accross and shipping it from there. Just said to have a general list of things I had in my boxes, for example if i have 20 dvd movies, just put "20 dvds", unlike greyhound, which i had to fill out a form for each movie indicating the title and the length. Greyhound wouldnt let me ship a pocket knife and all the electronics needed s/n. POE didnt deny or request any of that.

so i go to the border, and I get the guy i talked to, and he just took a peek at one of the boxes and let me go through. I ship my stuff USPS in Ogdensburg. I had 2 boxes of 62lbs each and a box of 35lbs. Cost ...107$ US and that is including 700$ insurance coverage. :) ssweeet. Great deal compared to 450$ at greyhound, not including insurance, and hassle free.

So if anyone lives near a POE (I'm in Gatineau/Ottawa) just drive down and ship from the US. It will be there 7-10 days. Oh, and i'm shipping to Colorado.

Thanks for all of your replies!

Dom

pfffft ... thanks for being so nice ... really appreciate it ... :thumbs:

Don't you think you might have been a little out of line in your attitude ?? sheeesh

That's more of a heads up for other Canadians who have (like me) been surprised by their huge brokerage charges that they ding you with when ordering something into Canada. When I pay $6.50 for shipping and then get a bill at my front door for $136, it makes me not like UPS.

Thus I (and practically every other Canadian who's dealt with them before) don't recommend using them for anything. Now I know that shipping Canada to USA, their brokerage charges are much less and in most cases non-existant (which also annoys me as the border goes both ways yet only we get charged importing), but still the point is that UPS is a terrible company to use.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.