girlwithquestions

Should I close my Canadian bank account?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I learned fairly early on that to cash a Cdn Cheque at Wachovia I had to deal with 1 teller at a certain branch. If not it was just a pain in the butt that would involve the bank manager--who was great, but he would have to explain to the teller on how to do it properly! I think the worst experience I had was going to a different Wachovia branch---tell told me no fees--but then about a week or later in the mail I got my cheques back with a note saying they could not cash them, as it was under $200 and my account would be debited the amount! The 1 teller that I used, moved on or quit---so then I found customhouse and just mailed back any Cdnb cheques to my folks, who then deposited them into my Cdn bank account. But like anyhting else--there are some great banks and some crappy ones!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

American Express has made it really simple to have your first card in US, by transferring your current card.

http://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/united-states.html

Edited by jazzly

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Depends who you bank through, but I know RBC has a US account too. You can get the Canadian account and also a US account through them that is in USD. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but you can use the US account in both countries I believe. Transfering money is easy. If you have a RBC account you should check into it. My fiance is getting one of those too because he has a RBC credit card he still wants to keep open and make payments on.

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is the link for the RBC USA Account information: http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/products/deposits/us-personal-account.html

K-1 VISA ADVENTURE:
04-01-2012: Engaged in Detroit, Michigan at Comerica Park!
USCIS
05-02-2012: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
05-14-2012: Received Physical NOA1
08-09-2012: Received Physical NOA2
Montreal Embassy
08-21-2012: Package 3
09-06-2012: Package 4
11-12-2012: Medical in Toronto, Ontario (Approved-Went Well! Tip: Make sure you have ALL of your vaccinations up to date when you go to your medical exam! It CAN delay things.
11-19-2012: Interview in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
11-21-2012: Received Passport and Visa Package Back From Montreal (DHL/LOOMIS OPENED OUR SEALED ENVELOPE! SENT BACK TO MONTREAL ON 11-23-2012 TO BE RESEALED)
12-04-2012: Recevied resealed Visa package from Montreal
12-23-2012: POE: Port Huron, Michigan (Everything Went Great!)
02-16-2013: Wedding Date! We're MARRIED!

AOS

06-18-2013: Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

06-20-2013: USPS Estimating Package Should Arrive in Chicago

06-24-2013: Received NOA Text and Emails for All Applications

06-27-2013: Received Physical NOAs for AOS, EAD and AP

07-16-2013: Biometrics Appointment

07-29-2013: I-485 Ready for Interview to Be Scheduled!!! YAY!!!! (No EXTREMELY Long Wait!)

08-02-2013: Received Mail with Interview Date!

09-03-2013: Interview in Detroit, Michigan (APPROVED!)

09-04-2013: EAD/AP Approved! (Even though it no longer matters because GC was approved the day before)

09-09-2013: Green Card mailed out via USPS 2-Day Air

09-11-2013: Received 2 Year Conditional Green Card in the Mail

• 3 weeks later...

I opened a TD Bank account in the US and kept my TD CanadaTrust accounts. Super easy to transfer money back and forth, and doesn't cost anything to do so. If I receive any cheques in CDN funds I just mail them straight to my bank in Canada to avoid the hassle and cost of depositing them here in the US. Very very bad memories of the first time I did that. mad.gif

Just want to be clear, you weren't charged any fees transferring money from a TD Canada Trust to a TD account in the US?

Edited by freem

Timeline

For those that don't have a TD, you can do RBC.

I have an RBC us and RBC canada.

TD America wouldn't let me open an account unless I went into an actual branch.

TD Told me that they transfer via wire transfers, but with RBC I can do transfers right online.

They have the ability for you to scan checks to deposit them which is the coolest thing ever imo.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Timeline

Just want to be clear, you weren't charged any fees transferring money from a TD Canada Trust to a TD account in the US?

I transfer from the US to Canada and there are no fees. They keep mentioning a $40 charge which gets electronically reimbursed because both accounts are in my name, but I have yet to see anything like that in the transactions. I think what they mean is that they put a hold on $40 in my US account to cover service charges.... which they would normally do for any other wire transfer.... but that same $40 gets released at the Canadian end when the transaction goes through.

I am told by the bank that there are also no fees when transferring from Canada to the US but I have not done this since they implemented the North American banking last year. There is a special toll free number you must call to set up a transaction.... you don't do it at a branch. TD CanadaTrust employees tell me the online system is coming soon, so no more phonecalls. Looking forward to that!

iagree.gif

Timeline

I transfer from the US to Canada and there are no fees. They keep mentioning a $40 charge which gets electronically reimbursed because both accounts are in my name, but I have yet to see anything like that in the transactions. I think what they mean is that they put a hold on $40 in my US account to cover service charges.... which they would normally do for any other wire transfer.... but that same $40 gets released at the Canadian end when the transaction goes through.

I am told by the bank that there are also no fees when transferring from Canada to the US but I have not done this since they implemented the North American banking last year. There is a special toll free number you must call to set up a transaction.... you don't do it at a branch. TD CanadaTrust employees tell me the online system is coming soon, so no more phonecalls. Looking forward to that!

I was specifically told by TD America that they would NOT set up my bank account unless I drove to NY to do it, so unless they have changed that in the last year... that's still the case.

oldlady.gif

Timeline

I think I stated this on another thread---Just because a bank charges you NO FEES--does not mean your getting a good deal! Ensure you know what the exchange rate they are giving you. Not a big deal if your only transferring a small amount of $$$--a huge deal if it is a larger sum!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I think I stated this on another thread---Just because a bank charges you NO FEES--does not mean your getting a good deal! Ensure you know what the exchange rate they are giving you. Not a big deal if your only transferring a small amount of $$$--a huge deal if it is a larger sum!!

Is the exchange rate not based on the national exchange rate?

RBCs always seems to be.

Which is currently losing me about 20-40 dollars when I pay my rent each month :bonk:

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I vote for keeping it open, just in case a relative dies and leaves you some Canadien sheckles.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Is the exchange rate not based on the national exchange rate?

RBCs always seems to be.

Which is currently losing me about 20-40 dollars when I pay my rent each month :bonk:

No, banks can charge you what ever exchange rate they want. Thats how they make $$$. Thast 1 benefit of having Custom house---Not saying they give you the best exchange rate, but its a nice option to have.

Filed: Timeline

I was specifically told by TD America that they would NOT set up my bank account unless I drove to NY to do it, so unless they have changed that in the last year... that's still the case.

I think you have misunderstood me. I was responding to a question about wire transfers..... not opening an account.

iagree.gif

Timeline

That may be true...but many people just assume the banks give the same exchange rate--which they do not! 1 should phone around and research it before transferring large sums of $$$

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.