wheresthevisa87

Civil Documents Pakistani have to Submit for CR-1

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

So here's a list of the documents I intend to mail to my agent (husband) next week, as soon as the Police Certificate comes through. I thought it would be a good idea for my husband to have them in hand so that as soon as we receive an email about submitting the DS-230/Packet IV he can mail it immediately and they can receive it quicker than they would if I were to mail it from Pakistan.

1) Original Birth Certificate

2) Original Nikahnama (English)

3) Police Certificate(s)*

4) Two 2x2 photographs

5) Copy of NIC^

6) Copy of Passport Biodata Page^

*It says on the NVC website that you have to submit these from all the areas/districts you've lived in since the age of 16. I'm submitting two police certificates, since I lived in a different part of Karachi between ages 16-19 and then in my current residence on and off from 19-25. It might've been okay to just submit one from my current address but I didn't want them to create issues/cause delays in the process based on my address in my older passports etc.

^ I'm submitting both color and b&w copies to be on the safe side, since the quality of the pictures they take for the NIC and Passport is so terrible.

Is this list complete? Is there anything I'm missing?

A few other questions/concerns:

a) Is it recommended to submit original copies of the Nikahnama and Birth Certificate or would it be better to submit attested photocopies? The reason I'm thinking of submitting the originals is that they seem to ask for them on their website and I don't want them to unnecessarily draw the process out by asking for originals later. But I am also concerned about NVC/the Embassy losing my originals. Would like to hear people's recommendations.

b) Is the Nikahnama and Marriage Certificate the same thing? A little confused about this since I was reading another post in the Regional section where someone mentioned that the Embassy asked them to bring their original 'Nikahnama' despite them having submitted their original 'Marriage Certificate'.

c) So I've lived in the U.S. for four years on a student visa between 2006-2010, and then six months (legally) with my husband from January 2012-July 2012. Any other documents I would need to submit considering I've lived in the U.S. before especially during college years?

Not

d) Do I need to submit a copy of my biodata page from my old passports? When I applied for a visit visa last year I only submitted my current passport and was contacted by AmEx after to submit the older ones since the Embassy required them. Not sure if the same is true for immigrant visas.

12/31/11 - Got Married

01/28/12 - Entered the United States on B1/B2 Visa

03/09/12 - I-130 Sent

03/16/12 - NOA1 Received

07/25/12 - Exited the United States before six months were up

08/09/12 - Petitioning spouse visited local USCIS office to inquire about case progress

08/14/12 - NOA2 Received, I-130 Approved

08/23/12 - Petitioning spouse contacted local Congress Person on helping expedite process

08/27/12 - Case number given by NVC over the phone

09/10/12 - Received case #, IIN, BIN and DS-3032 from NVC by email

09/13/12 - Couriered DS-3032 from Pakistan

09/14/12 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID

09/17/12 - DS-3032 delivered to NVC office in NH

09/18/12 - Affidavit of Support packet delivered to NVC office in NH

09/26/12 - DS-3032 Accepted, IV Bill Received, IV Bill Paid

09/28/12 - DS-230 and Civil Documents couriered to NVC

Timeline

Everything looks good

What is number 5 NIC? did they ask you for that?

Do you have Computerized Nikkah Nama?

Here is the list of everything they asked me

The following table lists the documents requested by the NVC and whether or not the

NVC received them. Please note that even though the applicant may have provided

the NVC with a copy of a document, the applicant is still required to bring the

original document to the visa interview.

Document Name Document Status

CORRESPONDENCE INSTRUCTIONS C

1 - IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION PART 1 Y-The required document has been received

1 - IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION PART 2 Y-The required document has been received

2 - PASSPORT Y-The required document has been received

3 - BIRTH CERTIFICATE O-The original document has been received and accepted

As meeting post requirements.

4 - ADOPTION F-This form is not necessary for this application.

5 - MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE O-The original document has been received and accepted

6 - MARRIAGE TERMINATION F-This form is not necessary for this application.

7 - COURT RECORDS F-This form is not necessary for this application.

F - FINANCIAL EVIDENCE Y-The required document has been received

9 - MILITARY RECORDS F-This form is not necessary for this application.

10- PAKISTAN POLICE CERTIFICATE O-The original document has been received and accepted

11- FEE PAYMENT $-Payment received

12- PHOTOGRAPH Y-The required document has been received

F - PETITIONER MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE F-This form is not necessary for this application.

F - PETITIONER BIRTH CERTIFICATE F-This form is not necessary for this application.

AMJAD

omqnwp93ba3er.png

Timeline

Everything looks good

What is number 5 NIC? did they ask you for that?

Do you have Computerized Nikkah Nama?

Thanks for posting that comprehensive checklist and their responses! They haven't sent me the request for those documents yet but I wanted to go ahead and send it to my husband (who I've nominated as agent) so that he can send it immediately once they do and it can reach them quicker than it would from Pakistan. I just wanted to get all the possible documents together.

The NIC is the National Identity Card (Shanakhti Card) that NADRA issues Pakistani citizens. It's mentioned in their list of civil documents by country list. They might not ask for it in my case but I figured I would send it to my husband just in case.

What is the computerized Nikahnama? I just have the English version of the one from our actual nikah that has my signature and my husband's. All the information is hand-written by my wali (representative), signed by the Imam and bears the Registrar's stamp.

12/31/11 - Got Married

03/09/12 - I-130 Sent

03/16/12 - NOA1 Received

08/09/12 - Petitioning spouse visited local USCIS office to inquire about case progress

08/23/12 - Petitioning spouse contacted local Congress Person on helping expedite process

Timeline

Thanks for posting that comprehensive checklist and their responses! They haven't sent me the request for those documents yet but I wanted to go ahead and send it to my husband (who I've nominated as agent) so that he can send it immediately once they do and it can reach them quicker than it would from Pakistan. I just wanted to get all the possible documents together.

The NIC is the National Identity Card (Shanakhti Card) that NADRA issues Pakistani citizens. It's mentioned in their list of civil documents by country list. They might not ask for it in my case but I figured I would send it to my husband just in case.

What is the computerized Nikahnama? I just have the English version of the one from our actual nikah that has my signature and my husband's. All the information is hand-written by my wali (representative), signed by the Imam and bears the Registrar's stamp.

I have 3 original documents from Pakistan which prove my marriage:

1. Large sheet of paper in urdu(really low quality paper!) - this is known as the Nikah nama which you get from the Masjid/Imam. It has everyone's signatures obtained during the Nikah.

2. Large sheet of paper in English - also from the Masjid I got married at. You could also call this the Nikah Nama. This also has everyone's signatures obtained during the Nikah.

3. A4 sized document titled "Marriage Registration Certificate." This can be referred to as the 'computerized Nikah Nama.' To obtain this, you get a form from the local Union Council(UC) office, fill it out, and submit it along with copies of NIC/NICOPs of husband, wife, and the fathers of both, as well as a copy of the Urdu Nikah Nama.

Timeline

I have 3 original documents from Pakistan which prove my marriage:

3. A4 sized document titled "Marriage Registration Certificate." This can be referred to as the 'computerized Nikah Nama.' To obtain this, you get a form from the local Union Council(UC) office, fill it out, and submit it along with copies of NIC/NICOPs of husband, wife, and the fathers of both, as well as a copy of the Urdu Nikah Nama.

Both my husband and father-in-law don't have NICs/NICOP cards. They only have American passports. I don't even think my father-in-law has his old Pakistani passport since he relinquished his citizenship. Will this be a problem for my visa? Or will the original English nikahnama suffice?

12/31/11 - Got Married

03/09/12 - I-130 Sent

03/16/12 - NOA1 Received

Timeline

Both my husband and father-in-law don't have NICs/NICOP cards. They only have American passports. I don't even think my father-in-law has his old Pakistani passport since he relinquished his citizenship. Will this be a problem for my visa? Or will the original English nikahnama suffice?

Computerized Nikkah Nama

Its Good to have it just in case they ask for it Fast Track Service IS Rs.1000 and you get the document in 4-5 bussiness days.

omqnwp93ba3er.png

Timeline

Computerized Nikkah Nama

Its Good to have it just in case they ask for it Fast Track Service IS Rs.1000 and you get the document in 4-5 bussiness days.

Thanks for letting me know! Honestly I wouldn't have found out otherwise until it was probably going to be too late/I would've been harassed by the Embassy. I called NADRA and they said in lieu of NICOP/NIC I could bring copies of my husband and father-in-law's American passport biodata page. I will definitely go with the fast track service.

Also btw, I am having the Police Certificate process 'fast-tracked' since the duration of time and steps the intelligence officer at my local thaana (police station) told me was absolutely ridiculous. It involved going to 4 different police offices for no reason and he said it could take between 10 days to 1 month and that it's NOT free. Didn't bother to get a quote. Contacted someone I know who said they'd get the job done in two business days for Rs. 3500 and all I had to do was give him the form, passport pictures, passport copy and NIC copy and he'd handle the rest. I hate giving these guys money but I figured the gas/money I'd spend going to all these different offices will probably amount to the same if not more so went with it.

12/31/11 - Got Married

03/09/12 - I-130 Sent

03/16/12 - NOA1 Received

Timeline

Rs. 1500 is average cost for Police Certificate in Punjab Once you have all the documents i suggest you mail everything directly to NVC from Pakistan to save money and time. DHL Express is pretty good service cost Rs.3800 Takes 3-4 Business days to deliver and you can track your package on there website. DONT FORGET TO MAIL THE COVER SHEET FROM NVC WHICH YOU SHOULD BE ABLE PRINT ON NVC PAYMENT PORTAL AFTER YOU PAY IV FEE

Edited by Butt Saaab

omqnwp93ba3er.png

Timeline

Rs. 1500 is average cost for Police Certificate in Punjab Once you have all the documents i suggest you mail everything directly to NVC from Pakistan to save money and time. DHL Express is pretty good service cost Rs.3800 Takes 3-4 Business days to deliver and you can track your package on there website. DONT FORGET TO MAIL THE COVER SHEET FROM NVC WHICH YOU SHOULD BE ABLE PRINT ON NVC PAYMENT PORTAL AFTER YOU PAY IV FEE

We haven't received the invoice for the IV fee yet (and on the payment portal too it doesn't give us the option to select it either). I know most people pay the AOS and IV fees around the same time but we didn't get this option. And NVC has told me twice already that until they process my DS3032 (they are saying 5-10 business days) they can't release the invoice for IV, which means we don't have the cover sheet. I have a feeling/I hope that by the time the Marriage Certificate comes through from NADRA we should be hearing back on the DS3032.

12/31/11 - Got Married

03/09/12 - I-130 Sent

03/16/12 - NOA1 Received

Timeline

We haven't received the invoice for the IV fee yet (and on the payment portal too it doesn't give us the option to select it either). I know most people pay the AOS and IV fees around the same time but we didn't get this option. And NVC has told me twice already that until they process my DS3032 (they are saying 5-10 business days) they can't release the invoice for IV, which means we don't have the cover sheet. I have a feeling/I hope that by the time the Marriage Certificate comes through from NADRA we should be hearing back on the DS3032.

I SEND THEM EMAIL FORMAT OF DS3032 ON 19 JULY AFTER 11 DAYS ON 30 JULY I WAS ABLE TO PAY IV FEE AND PRINT THE COVER SHEET

Edited by Butt Saaab

omqnwp93ba3er.png

well i didnt pay anything for police certificate. I guess money you guys paid for the certificate went straight to their pockets.

USCIS / CSC:

27/02/2012: Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox

03/01/2012: NOA1

06/18/2012: NOA2 in email

06/23/2012: NOA2 in hand

NVC:

07/09/2012: NVC received

07/26/2012: Case number/IIN - wrong embassy..grrrr

07/26/2012: DS-3032 sent (Emailed)

07/30/2012: New Case number

07/30/2012: AOS bill

07/31/2012: AOS bill shows PAID

08/01/2012: AOS package sent

08/02/2012: AOS package delivered

08/02/2012: DS-3032 accepted

08/03/2012: IV bill

08/06/2012: IV bill shows PAID

08/06/2012: IV package sent0

8/07/2012: IV package delivered

08/14/2012: Case complete

09/14/2012: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Abu Dhabi:

09/15/2012: Medical

10/02/2012: Interview *Result: AP*

12/31/2013: Visa in hand

03/19/2014: ELIS fee paid

03/20/2014: POE ABU DHABI / Chicago

IN USA:

04/03/2014: SSN applied

04/08/2014: SSN received

05/21/2014: Welcome letter received

05/22/2014: 10 years GC arrived in mail

• 4 months later...

well i didnt pay anything for police certificate. I guess money you guys paid for the certificate went straight to their pockets.

Sadly, this is a common occurrence back there :/

One only needs passport photos and their NIC card to get a police certificate, right?

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.