killersfan7570

Move Girlfriend from Canada to US

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

To be blunt (and I am not trying to be mean...I am a mum of 3 - 19, 20 and 21), they are not interested in your particular situation - realistically you cannot support someone else let alone yourself on the salary you make. That's just a fact of life at 18 with no training or education past highschool you simply are not going to make enough. 125% is only $18912/yr according to that form and honestly you two couldn't possibly hope to survive here in the US on 18K a year either.

A few things to consider then:

- neither of you make enough money to live unless you're living with your parents. Are you parents willing to help sponsor her if you get married? Would you want to be living in your parents home then? How would she feel about it? How would both of you feel about less privacy? How would your parents feel about less privacy and more $$$ responsibility (not to joke but maybe they had plans to make your room into an exercise room when you went off to college next year? ;) )

- you haven't started college and your GF has - assuming you now both need to finish college that is a chunk of debt for you two to start out with, tuition is a lot cheaper in Canada for her.....have you considered waiting a couple years so she can finished her degree in Canada and you'll them be halfway through at least? Neither of you will have money but at least you'll have less debt

- if she moves to the US and you marry, what's the plan to visit family back home in Canada? Everyone here can tell you that homesickness is brutal so there WILL NEED TO BE TRIPS BACK HOME for her periodically. You will be her husband but you won;t be able to avoid homesickness.

- she may be ok with not working but you can't live on nothing - it could be up to 6 months after she moves that she is legally allowed to work. What will she do during that time? You'll be working yout tail off or going to school by then.

A few things to think about, I'm sorry to sound ike a parent but you two are probably a bit young to be getting married. Although you may be mature enough to handle the relationship, your circumstances don't bode well for a healthy, happy start to a marriage - it would add a lot of extra stress. Being in Love canbe a little blinding when it comes ot the facts.

I hope you make a smart decision for you.

I live with my parents, but we don't mind having less privacy for some time. I figured someone would mention my age and while I may be young, I feel I'm certainly mature enough to sustain a marriage and work it all out.

I'm easily living on $12k now, though, so I figured with what she makes now...

Timeline

To be blunt (and I am not trying to be mean...I am a mum of 3 - 19, 20 and 21), they are not interested in your particular situation - realistically you cannot support someone else let alone yourself on the salary you make. That's just a fact of life at 18 with no training or education past highschool you simply are not going to make enough. 125% is only $18912/yr according to that form and honestly you two couldn't possibly hope to survive here in the US on 18K a year either.

A few things to consider then:

- neither of you make enough money to live unless you're living with your parents. Are you parents willing to help sponsor her if you get married? Would you want to be living in your parents home then? How would she feel about it? How would both of you feel about less privacy? How would your parents feel about less privacy and more $$$ responsibility (not to joke but maybe they had plans to make your room into an exercise room when you went off to college next year? ;) )

- you haven't started college and your GF has - assuming you now both need to finish college that is a chunk of debt for you two to start out with, tuition is a lot cheaper in Canada for her.....have you considered waiting a couple years so she can finished her degree in Canada and you'll them be halfway through at least? Neither of you will have money but at least you'll have less debt

- if she moves to the US and you marry, what's the plan to visit family back home in Canada? Everyone here can tell you that homesickness is brutal so there WILL NEED TO BE TRIPS BACK HOME for her periodically. You will be her husband but you won;t be able to avoid homesickness.

- she may be ok with not working but you can't live on nothing - it could be up to 6 months after she moves that she is legally allowed to work. What will she do during that time? You'll be working yout tail off or going to school by then.

A few things to think about, I'm sorry to sound ike a parent but you two are probably a bit young to be getting married. Although you may be mature enough to handle the relationship, your circumstances don't bode well for a healthy, happy start to a marriage - it would add a lot of extra stress. Being in Love canbe a little blinding when it comes ot the facts.

I hope you make a smart decision for you.

I don't get it! How do people who migrate to the US illegally (and have no documents) even ever get their green cards.... Most of them obviously make below poverty level...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I live with my parents, but we don't mind having less privacy for some time. I figured someone would mention my age and while I may be young, I feel I'm certainly mature enough to sustain a marriage and work it all out.

[/quote

Imagine dividing that by 2 since she will not be able to work at all initially (if you go the fiancé route).

So first things first - you need a co-sponsor since you need to top up the earning to the 125% level. Her Canadian income is not eligible, it must be a US co-sponsor. You will need a co-sponsor whether you marry first or she comes as a fiancée so find out what you can do in that department. Lay the facts out on the table to both sets of parents and see whether anyone is willing to help. Without the full emotional support from both sides too it could be a rough go. You're essentially asking someone to sign up to be responsible for your wife financially for about 4-5 yrs until she is a citizen because you are not yet able, it's not just a small thing. She'll need healthcare insurance(her Cdn coverage goes away the day she moves), food, shelter etc - its a huge responsibility for whoever takes it on.

Have you considered going to school either across the country in say WA state(so visiting is easier) or even ging to university in Canada and perhaps in Vancouver? You could potentially be together but you'd both be going to school and you might end up loving Canada and staying :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I don't get it! How do people who migrate to the US illegally (and have no documents) even ever get their green cards.... Most of them obviously make below poverty level...

Those folks have a slightly different situation then you and your GF. They come from very poor circumstances to begin with so even earning minimum wage is worth moving illegally to the US I suspect. THere are many who never become legal (see the current election issues).

Coming illegally isn't helpful for your futures though since she could never work legally, she'd always be looking over her shoulder wondering when immigration is going to show up at the door, you know? It totally sucks that doing it the legal way costs $$$ and you can see all those illegal immigrants who never pay a cent. I think they pay teh price in other ways by always being in fear they'll be deported, no really good healthcare etc....

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm only 18! This is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't even gone to school. How am I supposed to make that much!?

Yeah, I am not trying to be blunt or derogative, but marriage is a big huge enormous financial responsibility. You can have the best intentions in the world, but it is tough financially. Financial struggles are one of the leading cause of divorce.

I am confident that you are mature enough. But maturity doesn't pay the bills. There is health insurance, life insurance, I am sure both of you want to continue your education...that is a huge financial obligation, you want to drive around to go on dates, there is car insurance, once you are married, she has to be added to your car insurance, the fact that you are under 25 means your insurance rates will be significantly higher, add into the fact that a possible child may be in the horizon (whether planned or an oopsie) that just slashes any well planned budget to shreds.

The government realizes all of these things and thus sets a minimum income requirement.

However, you can get a joint sponsor to file the affidavit of support with you.

You should take the time to study intently all of the information related to immigration. Not only read the guides, but study the instructions for each form. Treat each one like a different entity and become knowledgeable with every aspect of the process. Remember, the onus is on you.

Once you figure all of this out, you can make better plans as how you and your fiance want to proceed.

I like what Udella&Wiz suggested. Maybe you two can go to school at the same college and co-habitat (or not) while you are getting your education. You guys get to be together and you are building your future together. In my opinion, this is a win win situation. Then once you get your degree and enter into your respective careers, you guys will be better situated financially and you will have no problem at all with proof of bonafide relation when that time comes.

Again, this isn't to burst your bubble or be mean, rather just a different perspective for you to consider. Once you make up your mind what you want to do, we here on VJ will gladly help you with any technical clarification on properly filling out the forms and respectively filing them.

In my original post there are 3 links I provided, as well as many others have offered suggestions and links as well, take some time for the two of you to prudently scour all of the information and directions. Then, have a honest intellectual conversation with each other and plan out your future.

Just my suggestion..... nothing more....

Good Luck with your relation and your future!

Edited by Que Saudade

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

She has 2 years left of school, which means you have plenty of time. I would suggest attending a university near her, either Vancouver (with Canadian student visa) or maybe Western Washington University. That would at least solve your long distance relationship problem. Once she is done, you will still have a few years left of school. Will she remain there and work? I would think more about how those aspects of your lives will work out before taking the visa plunge.

2011-05-21: Matched on eharmony (clearly not in my 60 mile radius preference!)

2011-07-30: Met in Ottawa

2011-08-28: Day I knew I wanted to spend my life with her

2012-01-21: I proposed, outside in the freezing cold!

2012-02-06: Mailed out K-1 via FedEX

2012-02-10: NOA1

2012-08-01: NOA2

2012-08-17: Packet 3 received (email)

2012-09-10: Packet 3 sent

2012-09-12: Packet 4 received (email) with request for 2 photos

2012-10-29: Medical in Toronto

2012-11-06: Interview - Approved!

2013-04-05: POE Thousand Islands

2013-04-20: Wedding

I'm only 18! This is absolutely ridiculous. I haven't even gone to school. How am I supposed to make that much!?

Others have given you some good advice about how your finances could affect your marriage and future. The justification for the income requirement is that the government (and taxpayers) doesn't want to be responsible for supporting spouses who immigrate here, and on top of that, they are not eligible for many social services. This fact puts them in a potentially vulnerable or dangerous situation if their American spouse can't or won't support them financially. It's not meant to punish you for being young.

I'd definitely probably have the money to get married and even support the fees associated with filling out the paperwork, but I don't make 125% the poverty level. This seems completely useless for me and the odds of her coming here seem so much smaller.

Sure, but the issue is not whether you can pay to file the forms; it's whether you can support a household with an additional person in it for the long term without government assistance.

Do you mean with what your girlfriend makes now? You cannot include your potential spouse's income in your sponsorship calculations unless they will continue to earn from that same source once they move to the US. If she would have to quit her Canadian job to move to the US, then it doesn't count.

I am going to second (or third) the recommendation to try to go to school near her, whether in Canada or the US. And you should also look into Canada's family immigration process, because from what I've read, it seems easier than bringing someone to the US.

Edited by alizon

Timeline

Good news guys!

I've booked a job on a new movie for Fox Searchlight in New York this fall, which will put me over the top, financially, to move to Bellingham, WA, this upcoming year in order to be closer to her. I couldn't be happier about seeing her ever so often. If the job goes well, I'd have the option to keep working in NY for some time and I would definitely be making well over the 125%, so the money wouldn't really matter anymore. This is all so exciting!

She also had the idea that she could attend school in WA so we can live together for some time before she's done... Is it harder than getting a Canadian Student Visa?

Timeline

Yeah, I am not trying to be blunt or derogative, but marriage is a big huge enormous financial responsibility. You can have the best intentions in the world, but it is tough financially. Financial struggles are one of the leading cause of divorce.

I am confident that you are mature enough. But maturity doesn't pay the bills. There is health insurance, life insurance, I am sure both of you want to continue your education...that is a huge financial obligation, you want to drive around to go on dates, there is car insurance, once you are married, she has to be added to your car insurance, the fact that you are under 25 means your insurance rates will be significantly higher, add into the fact that a possible child may be in the horizon (whether planned or an oopsie) that just slashes any well planned budget to shreds.

The government realizes all of these things and thus sets a minimum income requirement.

However, you can get a joint sponsor to file the affidavit of support with you.

You should take the time to study intently all of the information related to immigration. Not only read the guides, but study the instructions for each form. Treat each one like a different entity and become knowledgeable with every aspect of the process. Remember, the onus is on you.

Once you figure all of this out, you can make better plans as how you and your fiance want to proceed.

I like what Udella&Wiz suggested. Maybe you two can go to school at the same college and co-habitat (or not) while you are getting your education. You guys get to be together and you are building your future together. In my opinion, this is a win win situation. Then once you get your degree and enter into your respective careers, you guys will be better situated financially and you will have no problem at all with proof of bonafide relation when that time comes.

Again, this isn't to burst your bubble or be mean, rather just a different perspective for you to consider. Once you make up your mind what you want to do, we here on VJ will gladly help you with any technical clarification on properly filling out the forms and respectively filing them.

In my original post there are 3 links I provided, as well as many others have offered suggestions and links as well, take some time for the two of you to prudently scour all of the information and directions. Then, have a honest intellectual conversation with each other and plan out your future.

Just my suggestion..... nothing more....

Good Luck with your relation and your future!

Thanks. We're going to speak about our options tonight and what it is we really want to do.

Timeline

She also had the idea that she could attend school in WA so we can live together for some time before she's done... Is it harder than getting a Canadian Student Visa?

Hard getting one? No, but it is hard to qualify for one. She'll have to be admitted into a school in WA and show she can support herself financially (7 years ago when I went it was minimum of $20,000 cash - not assets) and prove she has health insurance. It is certainly an expensive undertaking as out of state tuition is 5x more expensive than in state

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

Happy to see your good news, and I hope that with time, you two can sort everything out!

I wanted to say, though, that this statement from you struck me as something that (way more than anything else you said) really shows your age. I'm almost twice your age and dealing with the same process of trying to figure out how to build a life with a person who is far away, and I'll be the first one to tell anyone that I have a lot of growing and learning to do. As someone who has an advanced degree, has worked to overcome significant family dysfunction and financial limitations, and has been living/working on her own far away from family for over a decade, I'm well aware that managing to "work it all out" is going to be the biggest challenge I've taken on yet and I wonder constantly if I'll be strong enough. It's okay to admit you don't know everything, and some of the most mature, knowledgeable, admirable people I know/have known are the ones most likely to have a learner's mentality and be open about their shortcomings.

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

Honestly I suggest she finish her degree in Canada. The cost of going to school in a country where you are not a resident can be huge. For instance when I was engaged we discussed my now husband moving up here to Canada and going to school. As a non-resident he would have had to pay almost 18k per term (aka half a year) for what would have cost a third of that had he been a resident. With only 2 years left it gives her a degree she can use in Canada or in the USA. It gives time for you to make sure your employment gives you the financial ground you need without help from mom and dad.

Just my suggestion of course. I know how hard separation is. I wish I lived closer to my husband. Driving distance would be wonderful.

I wish the best to both of you in all of your endeavours. Including a wonderful and long relationship!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.