Empressre

What happens after they get to you????

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok, so I was in the kitchen cooking dinner and started to wonder what my day would be like if my hunny was here with me. Then I thought to myself...how is it going to be when he just gets here? I will have to go to work and I guess he will just have to sit at home? I mean once we get married and he applies for residency he can start looking for work but in the mean time I have a feeling he is going to get reallyyyyyy bored! :unsure:

Just wondering how those of you who have already crossed that bridge handled it....Thanks!

Timeline

Ok, so I was in the kitchen cooking dinner and started to wonder what my day would be like if my hunny was here with me. Then I thought to myself...how is it going to be when he just gets here? I will have to go to work and I guess he will just have to sit at home? I mean once we get married and he applies for residency he can start looking for work but in the mean time I have a feeling he is going to get reallyyyyyy bored! :unsure:

Just wondering how those of you who have already crossed that bridge handled it....Thanks!

Ive been thinking about the same thing. But he says as long as he has his laptop, some music and a television...lol...he will be alright. I am self employed and my office is directly across the street from my house. I also make my own hours so we will be able to spend lots of time together. However, I think he may get lonely, missing the hustle and bustle of Kingston. I am from a very small town in Florida so there isnt a whole lot of noise there. I worry about things such as the food that he likes. I am a southern girl and I do southern cooking. But I will learn how to cook for him. For over a year I have visited him in Jamaica. I have learned all that I can about him via phone, internet and visits. But there is nothing like living together and really getting to know each other...Still I love him and he loves me...I guess that love is what will keep us together. That and the love of GOD.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife used the time to learn English. She also could watch Russian TV live via internet streaming. Because of the 8 hour time difference from Moscow, she watched the evening shows while I worked. She also did some moving of things to reflect less a male home. :) It was not dull time for her, but she told me it felt odd not working all that time.

Timeline

" However, I think he may get lonely, missing the hustle and bustle of Kingston. I am from a very small town in Florida so there isnt a whole lot of noise there. I worry about things such as the food that he likes. I am a southern girl and I do southern cooking"

I was also thinking how different it is here(I am also in Florida), and how he is used to hitting the road in the morning and going here and there...he is a musician and does spend a lot of time with his music so I suppose that will keep him busy. We did spend 6 weeks together over the summer in JA and with the exception of a few days we were together night and day, so I think that gave me some idea...as for the food, he knows how to cook some serious Ital, so I'm not too worried about that! Do they have any international markets near where you are? Usually you can get things there that regular stores don't carry like calalloo and guineps, etc.

Ahhhhh! There is so much to think about, I just wish this process moved faster. I'm on my 5th trip to JA this year and if I keep this up I will be in the poor house soon :help:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

I'm sitting here half asleep, missing my hubby, printing emails, wondering if my printer will survive the workout and these posts made me smile. I'm self-employed too, but I work from home, so I'm guessing I'm not going to get very much work done :devil::blush: We do have a Balkan store in town. I learned to cook some of his food and he's going to teach me more. He can also help me with my work, or work in the yard, or on the house, which needs fixing...Here's to the day when our sweeties arrive :D

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

Timeline

" However, I think he may get lonely, missing the hustle and bustle of Kingston. I am from a very small town in Florida so there isnt a whole lot of noise there. I worry about things such as the food that he likes. I am a southern girl and I do southern cooking"

I was also thinking how different it is here(I am also in Florida), and how he is used to hitting the road in the morning and going here and there...he is a musician and does spend a lot of time with his music so I suppose that will keep him busy. We did spend 6 weeks together over the summer in JA and with the exception of a few days we were together night and day, so I think that gave me some idea...as for the food, he knows how to cook some serious Ital, so I'm not too worried about that! Do they have any international markets near where you are? Usually you can get things there that regular stores don't carry like calalloo and guineps, etc.

Ahhhhh! There is so much to think about, I just wish this process moved faster. I'm on my 5th trip to JA this year and if I keep this up I will be in the poor house soon :help:

Lol...I know what you mean about the poor house...We may be roommates...lol. I have been to Jamaica 8 times within the last year.

My honey knows how to cook as well. Still I want to be able to cook for him. There arent any International stores where I live. But there are lots of Jamaican men. One of my best friends is Jamaican and he usually cooks for me on Sundays... He grows his own veggies...Like calliloo, akee and a few other things. He lives right around the corner from me. On Sundays, the guys meet at his house and play dominoes. My brother in law is Jamaican and my cousin's man is Jamaican also...So he will fit right in with everyone. Im just really worried that he will get home sick and miss the kids because we have them as will follow.

Uggghhh...I can hardly wait.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well....I can tell you this...my husband is bored out of his mind!! I work from home but still he can only watch so much TV. He trains and plays soccer with fellow JA men but still BORED out of his mind. As for the food....he eats anything and everything. So food isnt an issue. We also head to the caribbean market to fill up on some stuff. We got married right after his arrival to speed up the AOS process and that still take 3+ months to get. And as you know...costs us more MONEY! We'll be planning a marraige celebration AFETR he gets employed. So we cant really work on the celebration yet either. Best advice is to be patient. And thank the lord my husband is. I seriously dont know how he does it!! :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from K1 Process to Progress update as not visa related ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

all he needs to do is find something constructive to do. hopefully the 2-3 months waiting for EAD will blow off fast and he will be able to job hunt. Its nice down in florida cause you can be on the outside in the winter like its normal. thats not the case where im going. :whistle:

AOS

10/16/2012 Mailed I-485, I-765, I-131
10/19/2012 NOA1
11/09/2012 Biometrics Apt @ 3pm
12/25/2012 EAD/AP Approval
01/05/2013 Received EAD/AP in mail

06/20/2013 AOS APPROVED!!!!!

LIFTING OF CONDITIONS

3/23/15 Mailed I-751

3/25/15 NOA1

3/28/15 NOA1 Received in the Mail

4/28/15 Biometrics Apt.

11/13/15 ROC Approved

11/18/15 Approval Letter Received

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Apparently a lot have been pondering this. Watching TV, there is a computer available and I know my fiance will want to talk with her family often when she is here. I'm in the north east, so she can only go out for walks when its warm out (and she wants to get used to how it is here before just going out 'cuz she won't know where anything is.) I know my fiance is good at arts, so I can get her supplies to do that. I don't want any judgement, but even doing things around the house like cleaning. That is not what I am having her here for, but I don't think I need to explain this on this forum but only to the people who are ignorant and ask why I needed to find someone in another country. Just any marriage, both need to share responsibility on things.

Timeline

This is a great topic . . . I have been talking to my man and stressing this fact . . that I work and he will be at home waiting for me-Just like I do when I am in JA - waiting for him to come home. Our plan is to put him in school, for him to take a english as second language class (even if I have to pay out of pocket). That way he will have something to fill his days and nites (beside me of course, :lol:) with homework. He wants to succeed and we have plans/goals together and therefore, he will jump into this with both feet and an elbow. The thing I worry about is he will b coming in the winter (Michigan) and how do u explain snow and the cold hawk to someone who has NEVER experienced it? He says he will adjust and understands . . but . . what is he understanding?

Anyways, I think we will be ok for we have lived as a couple in JA and there has been plenty of times when we both just sat, looked and enjoyed each other's company as we swapped flies and baked in the hot weather . . .

Vickie

"Challenges are what make life interesting;

overcoming them is what makes life meaningful"- Joshua J. Marine

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

The first few months were the hardest for my husband and consequently for me.

He wanted to work and provide so badly that it was hurting our relationship, he even blamed me for his unhappiness :o ! One of the things I love the most about him, he's a hardworker was the biggest obstacle for awhile! On top of that, he was acting like the time I spent at work was like my free time so I could go home ready for whatever he wanted.

And this is not the first time we have lived together! But it all ended happily, he eventually thanked me and realized how much of an A$$ he was and was extra appreciative :D

Edited by amyandjorge

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm already making a honey-do list! It's so hard being alone and working full time. I can never get anything done around the house. He said he's looking forward to being able to help me.

He also has a boat here that needs a lot of maintainence since he hasn't been allowed to vacation here since last year. This will keep him very busy.

Maybe the guys could buy an old car that needs a lot of work and they can make it a hobby to fix it up? It will keep them busy and then they'll have transportation at the end of it.

Home improvement projects such as painting, etc. This will help them feel that they have contributed to the home.

May 2008: Met on the Carnival Paradise
2008-2012: 20 Cruises, 8 vacations, many wonderful moments
May 2012: Engaged!

K-1
May 17 2012: I-129F Sent
May 22 2012: NOA1
Aug 17 2012: NOA2
Aug 28 2012: Left NVC
Aug 29 2012: Vancouver Consolate Received
Sept 7 2012: Package 3 received
Sept 18 2012: Package 4 received
Nov 20 2012: Medical
Nov 26 2012: Interview - APPROVED!
Dec 01 2012: POE
Jan 12 2013: Wedding!
AOS
Jan 26 2013: AOS Sent
Jan 31 2013: NOA1 eMail
Mar 06 2013: Feb 13 2013 (walk-in) Biometrics Appt
Mar 28 2013: EAD/AP Approval
April 02 2013: Interview - APPROVED!
April 05 2013: EAD/AP Card received
April 10 2013: Greencard ARRIVED!!

ROC

Jan 12 2015: I-751 Sent

Jan 16 2015: Received NOA1. Receipt date: Jan 13th

Feb 19 2015: Biometrics

June 10 2015: APPROVED!

June 18 2015: Greencard Arrived!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Until my fiance gets his work permit, I suggested taking some classes as well. He wants to go back to college, so we will look into that once he gets situated in the US. I also sugguested volunteering because it would look good on his resume since he might not be working for a few months. Luckily, I live in a warm state, so he won't have to experience winters or the cold and snow. But he loves to workout and cook, so that will occupy part of his day. I told him that he could come and join me for lunch at work some days too:-) I'm sure he'll get bored though. Not knowing anybody and not having any friends here for awhile. Maybe he can join a sport to meet some people. I work long days too, so I feel bad that he'll be home alone all day. But I guess the tv and internet will keep him entertained for awhile.

~K1 Visa~
March 10, 2012 - Mailed I-129F
March 15, 2012 - NOA1 received
July 24, 2012 – NOA2 received
July 30, 2012 - NVC Received
August 2, 2012 - NVC sent case to Embassy
August 3, 2012 - Embassy received
August 8, 2012 - Packet 3 received
August 16, 2012 – Received interview date
August 17, 2012 - Packet 4 received
August 17, 2012 - Received medical exam date
August 23, 2012 - Medical exam (PASSED)
September 7, 2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
September 21, 2012 - Visa Received
October 4, 2012 - POE (Miami)

October 19, 2012 - Applied for ssn & driver's permit

October 26, 2012 - Received restricted ssn

December 26, 2012 - Got driver's license using I-94
December 28, 2012 - Got married

~AOS~
February 19, 2013 - Mailed AOS package
February 27, 2013 - Email confirmation of AOS package received
March 7, 2013 - NOA received
March 19, 2013 - Post office returned biometrics appt letter saying it was undeliverable
April 12, 2013 - Appt at local USCIS office/Biometrics appt letter received at local office
April 12, 2013 - Biometrics Appt
April 19, 2013 - Online status says interview date was scheduled and notice was mailed out
April 22, 2013 - NOA received for Interview

May 7, 2013 - EAD & AP was approved
May 23, 2013 - AOS Interview (APPROVED)

May 29, 2013 - Received welcome notice letter

June 1, 2013 - Received greencard

June 3, 2013 - Got driver's license using GC

June 10, 2013 - Received EAD & AP

~ROC~

May 23, 2013 - Became a US Resident

February 22, 2015 - Earliest accepted filing date for ROC

May 23, 2015 - Conditional residency expires

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.