sasaqlain

Processing Time for N400 in New York City......?

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I was checking the processing time for New York State and the New York City Field office is showing January 2nd for the N400 applications on the USCIS website. Are they that far behind? I was under the impression that usually your interviews are conducted within one month of your Biometrics. Oath time frame is dependant on the location. Why is NYC so behind? Also, for field offices it only shows the New York City and not the other locations such as the one in Long Island. Because thats where I have had all my petitions interviewed and I am sure thats where my N400 interview will be conducted. But it does not appear on the USCIS website....

Your Input will be appreciated.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

PathaN, NYC is so behind because of how many people we have here that are applying for immigration status. From my understanding, the offices just have more cases than they can handle. We're applying through the Brooklyn office and things have been moving pretty well so far. Where are you in the process? I just checked the status today and it says we're in line for an interview. From everything I've read, the average time in NYC is anywhere from 6-8 months. In fact it may be longer now that August 15th was the first time children of illegal parents could apply for temporary residency. :(

N-400 Timeline

August 18, 2012 - Mailed application

August 20, 2012 - Check cashed

August 21, 2012 - NOA

August 30, 2012 - Biometrics Appt for 9/12

August 31, 2012 - Walk-in Biometrics completed (Brooklyn, NY)

September 5, 2012 - Notification of being placed in line for interview

December 20, 2012 - Notification of interview being scheduled

January 28, 2013 - Interview date

February 8, 2013 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

PathaN, NYC is so behind because of how many people we have here that are applying for immigration status. From my understanding, the offices just have more cases than they can handle. We're applying through the Brooklyn office and things have been moving pretty well so far. Where are you in the process? I just checked the status today and it says we're in line for an interview. From everything I've read, the average time in NYC is anywhere from 6-8 months. In fact it may be longer now that August 15th was the first time children of illegal parents could apply for temporary residency. :(

Agreed... the additional workload will put more strain on the lack of resources already.

Filed: Timeline

Why yours is so fast?

do you know where is the interview place for people in Brooklyn?

Timeline

I had to wait 08 months for my interview and now ALHAMDULILAH I am scheduled for my Naturalized Oath Ceremony this month

Congrats! :dance:

N-400 Timeline

August 21, 2012 - NOA

Timeline

Why yours is so fast?

do you know where is the interview place for people in Brooklyn?

From what other people have posted, we're pretty much on the same time line as everyone else. The only thing that may have made our process a bit faster is that my husband was scheduled for his biometrics on 9/12 but was able to walk in and do them on 8/31. I fully expect to wait a few months for his interview to be scheduled. From other people's timelines, those who applied in August of last year in NYC finally did their Oath ceremony in February. That's a while from now. :(

I'm not sure where they interview people in Brooklyn because we haven't gotten the interview appt yet, just the notification that we're in line for an interview. I know they do the Oath at Cadman Plaza because I've walked by when people were coming out with their certificates, but I'm not sure if they hold interviews there as well.

N-400 Timeline

August 21, 2012 - NOA

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

If you check the monthly filer reports, some May filers are getting their interviews scheduled for late September and October. I filed May 6 and have been in line to be scheduled for an interview since July 10, but have heard nothing else yet. New York is slow.

Timeline

If you check the monthly filer reports, some May filers are getting their interviews scheduled for late September and October. I filed May 6 and have been in line to be scheduled for an interview since July 10, but have heard nothing else yet. New York is slow.

New York is horribly slow! Did you do the 30 day follow up? Our status on the internet says "If you have not received the notice within 30 of the date above, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283 for further assistance."

We're traveling in December and I'd love to do the interview before then so I don't have to worry while we're gone that month visiting family. :(

N-400 Timeline

August 21, 2012 - NOA

Timeline

I hadn't paid attention to the 30, although without "days" it could mean, weeks, months, years, decades... I've sent an e-mail to my lawyer to see what they say. I'm paying her to file, she can speak to the USCIS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I do agree that NYC field office is slower than others, however I have seen hints that they are moving better/faster compared to last year or previous years. March and April NYC 2012 filers are either done with the oath or scheduled to do it later this month. I am a May 2012 filer and my interview will be in less than a week's time... I am also very hopeful to have my oath either later this month or early next month. There are some cases that have to be reviewed more for reasons unknown to me; but I think NYC cases will move a bit faster this time of year; 1. Summer vacations are over and, 2. The Presidential election in November.

JNR

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

One of the reason I concerned is that I am planning a trip to my home country in december. If NYC is slow, then I am expecting my case to be dragged beyond this year and that could create lots of problems for me like worrying about passports, oath or even worse, an Interview.

IR5 For Parent

Timeline

Lawyer said that USCIS often underestimates the amount of time to schedule and interview. She said I could call the number, but they'd likely tell me the same thing. Tried calling the number, it doesn't answer. Our tax dollars at work.

Timeline

One of the reason I concerned is that I am planning a trip to my home country in december. If NYC is slow, then I am expecting my case to be dragged beyond this year and that could create lots of problems for me like worrying about passports, oath or even worse, an Interview.

You can continue to travel on your current passport and green card until you take the oath. You can get an expedited US passport if you need to travel immediately. It will be a hassle if anything is scheduled around your travel date, you'd have to reschedule either the interview/oath or your travel, all of which is a pain.

Filed: Other Timeline

Based on most recent NYC filers, interviews are being scheduled 3.5 months from biometrics date for a normal case. Oath takes another five weeks from interview date.

I called them after 30 days but they keep saying the answer we already know: "NYC is currently processing cases from Jan 2012".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.